Taking classes at JC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I m not very good at english classes and I need to take english next semester. My friend took english at the local JC in Berkeley, and said that it was much easier than the english classes offered at Berkeley. I was wondering what Med schools would think of this? English would be the only pre req that I have taken outside of my University.

Members don't see this ad.

There are some easy English classes at Berkeley. I'm sure medical schools would rather see that have taken your classes at Cal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
There are some easy English classes at Berkeley. I'm sure medical schools would rather see that have taken your classes at Cal.

easy is relative of course.....but

i think they rather see the classes taken at Cal...but if you dont feel that you can get at least a B in them then take them at DVC or whereever you were planning to take them.

Originally posted by jlee9531
easy is relative of course.....but

i think they rather see the classes taken at Cal...but if you dont feel that you can get at least a B in them then take them at DVC or whereever you were planning to take them.

So what do u think looks better, a B at Cal or an A at a JC?

B at Cal, of course.

Does it look reallly bad if I do take the english course at JC?

It DOES NOT MATTER where you take your English course. Don't worry about it. I took almost all of my prereqs for med school at a junior college, and I still managed to get interviews at top schools and an acceptance to a top-ten school. So don't sweat it.

You need to remember that the quality of an individual's education depends almost entirely on individual attributes (motivation, native intelligence, curiosity, discipline, etc.) NOT on institutional reputation. Contrary to common belief, one can get an excellent education at a junior college, provided that you get the most out of your instructors and learn as much as you possibly can. With respect to the latter, you need to read as much as possible. Go above and beyond the curriculum. Push yourself.

I did just that and, when I transferred to a major university to earn my bachelor's degree, I discovered that I had a much stronger foundation in chemistry, physics, and biology than top students who had taken these introductory courses at a respected 4-yr university.

One last thing (and this is perhaps the most important point): the MCAT levels the playing field. It is a tremendous vindicator. My overall score was in the 97th percentile, so any suspicion regarding my academic record was unjustified; indeed, the issue never came up in any of my interviews.

Hope this helps

P.S. Make sure your GPA at a JC is consistent with your GPA at a major university. Consistency is important in med school admissions.

I remember a med school dean was asked this at a pre-med conference I attended, and he said that they would question why you would take a course at a JC and not at your regular university. Even if it's an arts and humanities course and not a prereq, because it shows that you might not be strong in that field area. I don't know if that's true or not...but just passing on what was said.

I took probably 8 courses at a junior college throughout my years at UT and i have 4 interviews so far and not one of them have asked me about my community college classes. And 2 of those courses were physics 1 & 2. Just do well on the verbal portion of the MCAT to prove that you have the communication skills. At the interview they will determine whether or not you have good verbal skills.