Taking classes at community college after graduating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markelle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The title pretty much says it all, but let me explain just in case. So this upcoming spring I will be graduating from university. I transferred to a 4 year university from a community college, but there were some classes I did not take at community college like anatomy and physiology I and II. At the 4 year university, I am doing well, and my GPA at this university is better than my community college GPA, so its NOT like I'd be taking at CC for it to be easier. But it would be "easier" for me in terms of commute. The CC is 15 minutes from my house with NO traffic, but the university is outside of my county and ~35-50 minutes from home depending on traffic.

My main reason for wanting to take A&P is to get my sGPA up which is borderline. But I started CC in high school, so I have 74 credits there instead of 60 which is the "norm". At university I only will have 64 credits by time I graduate. If I take A&P I & II at CC I will end up apply with 82 CC credits and 64 University credits.
Will this look bad when I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, so when you first transferred, did the CC credits transfer into University credits? I thought that's how it's supposed to work.

Wait, so when you first transferred, did the CC credits transfer into University credits? I thought that's how it's supposed to work.
It depends on the transfer program I believe.

My main reason for wanting to take A&P is to get my sGPA up which is borderline.
What is your current CC sGPA, uni sGPA, and overall sGPA? Earning a borderline sGPA at uni followed by community college classes may raise an eyebrow or two...

Members don't see this ad :)

Unless the transfer is as a student with a full associate's degree, how would a university calculate whether the student has enough credits for graduation without taking into account CC credits? The deans of undergraduates have to certify that students have met the requirements for graduation at that university and if the university requires XXX credits, then I think it would have to officially accept the CC credits so that the student meets those credits.

My main reason for wanting to take A&P is to get my sGPA up
I doubt a course or two will make that much notice or impact
Hmm and with 134 credits it seems like it wouldn't have any impact on GPA just to take A&P either

Unless the transfer is as a student with a full associate's degree, how would a university calculate whether the student has enough credits for graduation without taking into account CC credits? The deans of undergraduates have to certify that students have met the requirements for graduation at that university and if the university requires XXX credits, then I think it would have to officially accept the CC credits so that the student meets those credits.
My understanding is that at some universities you are awarded transfer credit and it is still documented as from CC, whereas in other cases the CC are translated fully to uni class entries on the transcript and it is not apparent that the first two years were done elsewhere (I think the UC system does this?)

That may be totally wrong though.

Edit: Maybe what I'm thinking of is whether credit transfers or grades transfer? Seems like different systems do each type

out of 74 credits 60 of them transferred, so I can graduate with 120 credits. But on transcripts it will still show 74 credits of my GPA was from CC

What is your current CC sGPA, uni sGPA, and overall sGPA? Earning a borderline sGPA at uni followed by community college classes may raise an eyebrow or two...

CC GPA : 3.73
CC sGPA: 3.60
University GPA including fall 2016: 3.84
University sGPA Including fall 2016: 3.70
science gpa is border line 3.68/3.70

science gpa is border line 3.68/3.70
This is not a borderline sGPA, that's above the national median for matriculants. Don't take any classes just for grade repair sake on a 3.7 sGPA!

Reactions: 1 user
Edit: Maybe what I'm thinking of is whether credit transfers or grades transfer? Seems like different systems do each type

Yeah, so credits must transfer - otherwise, the dean wouldn't be able to certify at graduation. But grades don't necessarily have to transfer. Many universities just note that XX amount of transfer credits were awarded without mention of grades and so your university grade will be completely separate from and non-overlapping with your CC GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
In the end I think it all ends up identical in your AMCAS though, since even if you only got credit without grades at your uni, AMCAS will still count your CC grades based on the CC transcript.