Taking Anatomy and Physiology at the same time - bad idea??

tresrisque

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

My university has Anatomy and Physiology as separate classes. I'm confused as to which to take first, or if I should take both at the same time. Has anyone done this?

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend taking anatomy first, and then taking physiology the next semester. If your university teaches it like mine does, you will be doing a lot of work in that class. I strongly recommend taking one course at a time.. GL

I took anatomy I while taking human physiology, which wasn't a bad idea, but I think anatomy II and human phys go together much better, depending on the curriculum. Overall, if you only have one semester of anatomy and one semester of phys, it doesn't hurt to take them at the same time. Some material will overlap, some won't.

I have taken Human Physiology, then Anatomy, then retook Human Physiology, and I have also taken A&P I&II (long story).

I recommend taking Anatomy first. I took Physiology straight out of my intro Bio classes and barely passed. You need a little rudimentary knowledge of anatomy to fully comprehend physiology and I had nil. I felt I spent half my time learning basic anatomy while my upper level classmates and grad students already knew it and could get down into the physiology right off the bat. I retook physiology after I aced anatomy and it was a hell of a lot better. Both because I knew the anatomy and because it was my second time around. I don't feel prior knowledge of physiology helped me in anatomy as much as it did the other way around.

I agree that if they are challenging classes like dontlikephysics' and mine were, taking them together will be hell. Anatomy is very time consuming.

However if they are sophomore level classes, it can be quite nice to learn the material together. I took our school's A&P which is more for nursing students, and was something like a joke--especially after I took all those upper level courses. I just took it because I was paranoid my "3 hour anatomy with a lab" did not qualify for schools that require a "4 hour anatomy with a lab." Now I know that it does count after all, but oh well. GPA booster and now I am VERY comfortable with both subjects. Good luck!

Last edited:
I completely agree. I took Physiology last semester and didn't do too well. This semester, I'm taking anatomy, and every day in class the things we are learning actually help clear up concepts from Physiology. However, everyone has a different way of thinking and you will be fine with whatever you choose as long as you put in a lot of study time.