Taking an year off after research.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acpl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
That title should say "year off for research"

I have decided to take an year off after 3rd year to do derm research. I have a home derm department with regional influence but I want to get out of the region for residency. Should I try to contact people at powerhouse Derm places? What should be my expectations be from a year of basic science research (in terms of publications)? Is there anything besides Howard Hughes for basic science for derm people?

I appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about this since I didn't do this myself, but have meet quit a few people who have. My 2 cents. Most of them that I meet did a year off to do research at their home program and most of them matched at their home program. I do know one person who did a year of research and matched somewhere else so this does happen too. But I wouldn't let one girl that I"m only dating and have the best chance of settling down with (home program) know that I'm not interested in her, until I know for sure of the ONE, because at this point we are just dating and feeling each other out.

Of the peeps I've known who did a year of basic sci, most got off pubs and posters at the AAD. Besides home program and HH, i've known some who done research at the NIH. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
long dong, is there a point in doing case reports anymore? i hear that they dont really care about them any more and that basic sci research is better?

whats ur view on review articles and book chapters?

how many research projects are necessary? if i am already involved in research at my home program, do u think i should try to be involved at other programs too in order to meet ppl after i am done with my present project?

Yeah I was wondering that too...do case reports and reviews mean much?

long dong, is there a point in doing case reports anymore? i hear that they dont really care about them any more and that basic sci research is better?

whats ur view on review articles and book chapters?

how many research projects are necessary? if i am already involved in research at my home program, do u think i should try to be involved at other programs too in order to meet ppl after i am done with my present project?

1. Yes
2. I hear the same thing on the other board, but I know people who matched and all they had where case reports and average for derm board scores. So I'd assume some pubs (even case reports) are better then none, since 80% of applicants well have pubs. Seems that on the dermboard most think basic sci>clinical studies>reviews/case reports.
3. Like I said anything published is better then nothing. When I applied all I had where 2 review article submissions, eventually published after the match though. It gave me something to talk about during interviews. As for book chapters, that stuff has always impressed me, but on the other board posters seem to be cynical about how much a student can actually do.
4. At least one would be good since 90% of applicants well have one project. The more the marrier, but don't over do it an let your clinical grades suffer.
5. If you finish your current project at home program, sure go ahead start some others. Again don't let your 3rd year grades/evals suffer though.

Yeah I was wondering that too...do case reports and reviews mean much?
I think they still mean something, but I guess most know that the time commitment isn't as great as original research, so are seen as less impressive. Again I think just publishing is good, cuz so many applicants well have it, and those that don't well seem to be lacking on their application. And having published lets programs know you've done it before and can do it again when u are their resident without much hand holding.