Taken Naplex 4 times =(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kenluian088

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken the Naplex 4 time and have made in the 70s each time (even a 74 once). Has anyone ever had to take it 5 times? I'm in the process of studying for my 5th time as we speak. Any tips?? Has anyone ever had to take it more than 5 times? What is the policy for the 6th time? Is a 6th time even allowed? I know I'm counting my eggs before they hatch here, but I just would like to know my options if this thing goes south again. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say definitely change your strategy especially if you're scoring around 70 each time. You are very close! Change your strategy, do more questions!! You can def do this :)

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on which state you are taking it in. I believe that the Board of Pharmacy in your state will have to approve of more attempts on a case by case basis. Good luck.

I'd say definitely change your strategy especially if you're scoring around 70 each time. You are very close! Change your strategy, do more questions!! You can def do this :)

Thanks! I am changing my strategy this time, going through High Yeild med reviews naplex question bank and using a different book. Hopefully this will help. I graduated from Pharmacy school with a 3.2 gpa over the 4 years but I just can’t seem to get this thing behind me :/. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've taken the Naplex 4 time and have made in the 70s each time (even a 74 once). Has anyone ever had to take it 5 times? I'm in the process of studying for my 5th time as we speak. Any tips?? Has anyone ever had to take it more than 5 times? What is the policy for the 6th time? Is a 6th time even allowed? I know I'm counting my eggs before they hatch here, but I just would like to know my options if this thing goes south again. Thanks
Pray honey, pray. I don't know if you believe in God and the power of prayer. But our God can do it all. He shows us or leads us to something that we have not been doing or something we need to add on to help us succeed that we didn't know we needed. All we have to do is ask Him. Jesus said if you ask of anything in my name, I will do it- John 14:14. But you gotta have faith that what you are asking from God, He can do it.
Now the physical aspect, how are you in math? Are you average or need more help. Math is everything on Naplex. If you don't pass the math section, am sorry but you fail the whole exam. So if I were you, I will do more calculation questions. Do it until you are 100% confident. Make sure you know mEq, mmols and mols, alligation, aliquot, flow rates, percent composition, dilutions, pediatric med calcs like acetaminophen and motrin calculation (the formula for both), density, specific gravity, CrCl, dosing for vanco (actual body weight even if obese), aminoglycosides ( know when to use Act BW, IBW Adj BW). Then for biostats, the usual NNT, NNH, ARR, RR, CUA, CMA, CEA, CBA. Make sure you know everything like the back off your hand. Trust me, really pump up your calculations sections, and that will tip you over into the 75% and above passing grade! Of course you gotta brush up on and know very well our common pharmacy topics; DM, HTN Asthma, dyslipidemia, HF, Anticoag, sterile and nonsterile compounding, ID, Onco, Psych, drug references. And know everything from the other topics just because they bring questions from everywhere else, but don't try to know it all. Just know the basics from the other small topics; refresh your memory for those sections so you are not caught off guard in case a random question pops up. But the reality is that, you won't know everything! So if you don't know a question, make your best educative guess and move on so you can concentrate with more time on the questions you are confident in.
So first pray, and be proactive about it. God will get you there. Work hard on your part, use this strategy, and I know you will pass this time around.

Reactions: 6 users
I know people that has passed on their 5th attempt, you are not alone. I'm sure there are more throughout the nation. But don't give up, give it all you have. It's just a bump on the road for you but giving up is not an option. I am not going to repeat what is already stated but I'll say this, study and know as much as you can bc truth is you won't remember everything. Study hard, cut down hours/ put everything aside like job. Focus to get through this, set all negativity from others aside. For those that said they only study for 2-3 weeks or shorter and passed, it's BS. It's easy to say when you have made it to the other side. Good luck.

Also the prenaplex exam is a good indication of where you stand. If you score in the 100s it's good but you need to be in the 90s and higher range bc I heard somewhere that for prenaplex, your actual score would be -20 from what you score. But at this point, don't think about it. Do the very best you can. Stay focused.

Last edited:
And also relax on test date. Sounds like you may have text anxiety. How is your routine for taking the test been?

YEs sounds likes test anxiety. You obv know your stuff but maybe try not to confuse yourself with extra material. Just do more and more questions and concentrate on what you do know instead of what you don't. We can not possibly retain all the information for this exam. You can defs do this!! Just remain calm on the test day. You know it all :) Good luck!
Thanks! I am changing my strategy this time, going through High Yeild med reviews naplex question bank and using a different book. Hopefully this will help. I graduated from Pharmacy school with a 3.2 gpa over the 4 years but I just can’t seem to get this thing behind me :/. Thanks for the encouragement!!

they just passed a law saying that the fifth time is the final time one can sit for the NAPLEX. I'm sorry to say this is your last chance and if you fail again you will never been a registered pharmacist in the US.

Did you take Pre-Naplex prior to taking the Naplex to gauge exactly where you stand?

He's taken the actual NAPLEX 4 different times. I think he knows quite well where he "stand(s)".

Also, a lot if misinformation in this thread regarding the Pre-Naplex prognosis. Your actual score is usually at least +10 from your Pre-Naplex scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was reading this and I could not pass by and not say anything. I was in a similar situation such as yourself and a friend of mines told me about Pass Naplex Now! It was a life saver the material is straight and to the point and I did not need my Rxprep book to study from. Every lecture includes videos and quizzes. It boosted by score 21 points and I passed. I am a visual learner so the videos helped me. It also contains biostats material and calculations which were pretty straight forward and the videos explain how to do the calculations as well. Please do not give up. With hard work and dedication you WILL PASS. You have come to far, keep going and know you got it this time.

Pray honey, pray. I don't know if you believe in God and the power of prayer. But our God can do it all. He shows us or leads us to something that we have not been doing or something we need to add on to help us succeed that we didn't know we needed. All we have to do is ask Him. Jesus said if you ask of anything in my name, I will do it- John 14:14. But you gotta have faith that what you are asking from God, He can do it.
Now the physical aspect, how are you in math? Are you average or need more help. Math is everything on Naplex. If you don't pass the math section, am sorry but you fail the whole exam. So if I were you, I will do more calculation questions. Do it until you are 100% confident. Make sure you know mEq, mmols and mols, alligation, aliquot, flow rates, percent composition, dilutions, pediatric med calcs like acetaminophen and motrin calculation (the formula for both), density, specific gravity, CrCl, dosing for vanco (actual body weight even if obese), aminoglycosides ( know when to use Act BW, IBW Adj BW). Then for biostats, the usual NNT, NNH, ARR, RR, CUA, CMA, CEA, CBA. Make sure you know everything like the back off your hand. Trust me, really pump up your calculations sections, and that will tip you over into the 75% and above passing grade! Of course you gotta brush up on and know very well our common pharmacy topics; DM, HTN Asthma, dyslipidemia, HF, Anticoag, sterile and nonsterile compounding, ID, Onco, Psych, drug references. And know everything from the other topics just because they bring questions from everywhere else, but don't try to know it all. Just know the basics from the other small topics; refresh your memory for those sections so you are not caught off guard in case a random question pops up. But the reality is that, you won't know everything! So if you don't know a question, make your best educative guess and move on so you can concentrate with more time on the questions you are confident in.
So first pray, and be proactive about it. God will get you there. Work hard on your part, use this strategy, and I know you will pass this time around.
Reading this spoke to me! Prayer and hard work changes things and your tips are very helpful for anyone that needs guidance :)

I also forgot to mention that I ordered material from med ed 101 and they provided me with 2 practice exams containing 250 questions each. With both exams it also comes with answers that are explained and it was very helpful. Prior to taking Naplex I timed myself taking these 2 exams to see how long it would take me to complete them. I hope this helps. I did not take the pre-naplex now and still passed. However, do what is best for you! Wish you all the best and stay positive.

good luck
1-pray
2-questions ( you have to practice a full exam length (250 Q) at least once a week so you get yourself used to the test stress.
3- pray.

I wonder how long did you have to wait before taking the test for the 4th time?
I mean it 45 days waiting period for the first 3 attempts, then how long before the 4th time?
please answer, I need help to make my studying plan.
thanks and good luck again

If it is a case study, I would read the question first and waive out answer choices... Looking allergies, renal fxn, age, etc. MATH and BIOSTAT are important... I remembered when I took mine..my last 40 questions are all math and biostat! I was thankful to not spend more than 2 mins per question in the beginning. I am not sure how is the new format. I did the test right before they changed to 250. You can do it! Just focus !

I was reading this and I could not pass by and not say anything. I was in a similar situation such as yourself and a friend of mines told me about Pass Naplex Now! It was a life saver the material is straight and to the point and I did not need my Rxprep book to study from. Every lecture includes videos and quizzes. It boosted by score 21 points and I passed. I am a visual learner so the videos helped me. It also contains biostats material and calculations which were pretty straight forward and the videos explain how to do the calculations as well. Please do not give up. With hard work and dedication you WILL PASS. You have come to far, keep going and know you got it this time.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have also failed the NAPLEX 4 times. I got very close to passing my first time, but then had panic attacks on the rest of my attempts (as well as technology/administration errors on my last attempt that made me lose time and I wasnt able to finish). For all my other exams, I scored lower than I did on my first attempt, but I am not trying to make excuses - I realize it is my fault and I must be studying wrong. I believe my failures were not due to lack of studying bc I made studying my LIFE to the point where I haven't seen friends at all in almost a year and a half, and have barely seen my family. I was let go from my job for failing and I am so discouraged and feel like an idiot. I recently bought PassNaplexNow as well and I am glad to hear that it helped you so much! I used RxPrep for my other attempts and it is an overload of info for me (plus I am TERRIBLE at math, which I hear is the key to passing). Do you think that the PassNaplexNow biostats and calculations were more helpful/simpler than RxPrep since you also used it in the past? I have been watching the PNN videos and I like the way the material is presented so far too, but I wasnt sure about the math and biostats sections.

Also, I have heard hazardous drug compounding is now on the NAPLEX - does anyone have any advice about studying for that and the rest of the compounding info? I saw the 2018 RxPrep book had the new info, but since I have the 2017 version, I don't know if it is even worth buying the new book for that section.

Side note: PLEASE - no judgment (or at least comments) about how I'm not competent to be a pharmacist - I did a dual PharmD/MBA program and finished my MBA a year early and graduated with honors for pharmacy and a 4.0 for my MBA, despite starting school at 8am and finishing at 10pm every day. I passed my MPJE for my state as well, so for all of you that thought the NAPELX was easy, please don't put us down more than we already are. I have seen so many of those comments and they are extremely discouraging to those of us going through this.

I can't believe I am in this situation and I am SO scared since this is my last attempt and I have been studying my life away but still have not had success. Any advice/comments/ANYTHING would be helpful! Thank you so much for all those who have provided encouragement despite our situations! It is very much appreciated. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I am TERRIBLE at math, which I hear is the key to passing

This. Math and biostat are major parts of passing NAPLEX. I would make sure to get every single math questions right and study off of 120 SDN math questions. I would also take the RxPrep practice exam and study & take quizzes related to the weak chapters (<80%). Two weeks before the exam, take the RxPrep exam again and if you get > 80%, you are ready for NAPLEX. You got this.

Reactions: 2 users
I also forgot to mention that I ordered material from med ed 101 and they provided me with 2 practice exams containing 250 questions each. With both exams it also comes with answers that are explained and it was very helpful. Prior to taking Naplex I timed myself taking these 2 exams to see how long it would take me to complete them. I hope this helps. I did not take the pre-naplex now and still passed. However, do what is best for you! Wish you all the best and stay positive.
hi can u explain med ed 101 how can i get 2 practise exams. iam also struggling and this is my last chance to pass naplex. i need practise material. any help will be highly appreciated. thanks

I am embarrassed to admit that I have also failed the NAPLEX 4 times. I got very close to passing my first time, but then had panic attacks on the rest of my attempts (as well as technology/administration errors on my last attempt that made me lose time and I wasnt able to finish). For all my other exams, I scored lower than I did on my first attempt, but I am not trying to make excuses - I realize it is my fault and I must be studying wrong. I believe my failures were not due to lack of studying bc I made studying my LIFE to the point where I haven't seen friends at all in almost a year and a half, and have barely seen my family. I was let go from my job for failing and I am so discouraged and feel like an idiot. I recently bought PassNaplexNow as well and I am glad to hear that it helped you so much! I used RxPrep for my other attempts and it is an overload of info for me (plus I am TERRIBLE at math, which I hear is the key to passing). Do you think that the PassNaplexNow biostats and calculations were more helpful/simpler than RxPrep since you also used it in the past? I have been watching the PNN videos and I like the way the material is presented so far too, but I wasnt sure about the math and biostats sections.

Also, I have heard hazardous drug compounding is now on the NAPLEX - does anyone have any advice about studying for that and the rest of the compounding info? I saw the 2018 RxPrep book had the new info, but since I have the 2017 version, I don't know if it is even worth buying the new book for that section.

Side note: PLEASE - no judgment (or at least comments) about how I'm not competent to be a pharmacist - I did a dual PharmD/MBA program and finished my MBA a year early and graduated with honors for pharmacy and a 4.0 for my MBA, despite starting school at 8am and finishing at 10pm every day. I passed my MPJE for my state as well, so for all of you that thought the NAPELX was easy, please don't put us down more than we already are. I have seen so many of those comments and they are extremely discouraging to those of us going through this.

I can't believe I am in this situation and I am SO scared since this is my last attempt and I have been studying my life away but still have not had success. Any advice/comments/ANYTHING would be helpful! Thank you so much for all those who have provided encouragement despite our situations! It is very much appreciated. :)

As you know your weaknesses are math and biostat. I would recommend do more practice on TPN problems, flow rate, and mmol, etc. For biostat, i feel like Rxprep has similar question bank as the NAPLEX. I heard alot of people use SDN 120 question for math. Those are much harder than the naplex. If you can do that, then you should be good to go for NAPLEX. Rxprep is pretty good for basic knowledge on the math problem.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have also failed the NAPLEX 4 times. I got very close to passing my first time, but then had panic attacks on the rest of my attempts (as well as technology/administration errors on my last attempt that made me lose time and I wasnt able to finish).

This sounds like a pretty terrible situation to be in. I echo the comments above..make sure you understand how to do the math, and move on from questions if you just don't know the answer. Honestly I think the exam is just random questions, and personally I don't think studying helps much. If you don't know the answer before studying, you probably won't know it after, EXCEPT FOR THE MATH. Make sure you do the packet and the pre-naplex as many times as you need to feel comfortable before this last exam. Hope it all works out for you....

I am wishing you much success with your last attempt! I am glad that you did not give up and have continued to do what you can to pass. For PNN the math and bio stats section helped me ALOT because I was also not good in those areas. They break it down to where you can understand the material which is why I liked PNN a lot. I didn’t like Rxprep, the material in the book was just too much for me. I like the way PNN simplified everything and it helped me have a better understanding of the material that was presented. You WILL pass it! Study hard and stay positive you got this

hi can u explain med ed 101 how can i get 2 practise exams. iam also struggling and this is my last chance to pass naplex. i need practise material. any help will be highly appreciated. thanks
Sure, so I went to Med 101 online and you can purchase either one 250 practice exam or two 250 practice exams. Answers are provided for both exams. It’s a mixture of multiple choice questions, biostats, and calculations. I found the practice exam extremely helpful and helped build my stamina for taking the Naplex. I finished the Naplex in 5 hrs instead of 6 and I passed. However, to each it’s own. Do what works for you. I also had pass Naplex now material as well which helped me a lot with Naplex. If I were you I would do both if you are able to. This is what helped me pass. I wish you all the best! Study hard and know you got this

Have you taken the Pre-Naplex? Aim for a 90+ before taking the Naplex again.

Have you taken the Pre-Naplex? Aim for a 90+ before taking the Naplex again.
Hi I got 100 on prenaplex but still don’t feel confident..... I failed earlier once with a score of 67...... suggestions please!!

Hi I got 100 on prenaplex but still don’t feel confident..... I failed earlier once with a score of 67...... suggestions please!!

People usually end up scoring about 10+ points higher on their actual NAPLEX relative to the prenaplex.

Thank you SO much! Your comments really, really spoke to me. I am trying to remind myself that God will be with me and must have something great in store for me. He has already saved me from dying during an emergency surgery before my 2nd exam (which is why I got laid off - I couldn't work), even though I almost died from sepsis. He kept me alive, and I believe He did that for a reason. I have been trying to remind myself that God must have a reason for why I am in this position. You are right - He can and will help me succeed as long as I continue to pray and keep faith in Him - and of course, put my ALL into studying for this exam!!!

I completely agree with what everyone said above - I probably keep failing bc I'm not doing enough calculations practice questions and math is my worst subject. I would say I am average or slightly below, so I need to focus on calculations - including the compounding ones. In the past, I mostly practiced memorizing the formulas/doing the RxPrep questions in the book, but I only did the first calculations question bank online before it expired. My score report showed I did well on therapeutics... I just somehow keep messing up the calculations (and probably compounding) sections, so I REALLY appreciate the advice on how to improve my skills on that section!

After reading everyone's comments on my situation, I am and will try to do EVERYTHING I can and make sure I am 100% ready for the calculations section before taking the exam. I did not take the Pre-Naplex bc I heard it is just to give you an idea of the format of the NAPLEX, but definitely will 2 weeks before to gauge how I am doing on that section and what I need to focus on more. I was debating purchasing the RxPrep test bank again (I only did for my first attempt), but I am definitely going to now that I know it is so helpful! Also, thank you for letting me know the SDN packet helps as well. Does anyone have any advice to study for the compounding sections since USP 800 will now be on the exam??

HighlyFavoredRph2017 - you said they were very helpful w/ PNN and built your stamina for the exam. Has anyone else used them and found them useful??

Also, thank you to EVERYONE so very much for the encouragement and advice!! I can't express my gratitude for your help and for not judging me. It is definitely a terrible situation to be in, but I can't blame anyone but myself. This has completely KILLED my self-esteem/confidence - especially bc I keep being put down by my family for failing :(But I refuse to give up - and I am so appreciative of everyone's inspiration, support, and strategies that helped each one of you pass the exam. I am also so grateful for the ideas on other ways to practice that I have not tried in the past - esp for the calculations portion!

TL;DR: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all the advice, well wishes for success, encouragement not to give up, and overall kindness!! You all are amazing and I am so appreciative :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hey, I totally feel you because I'm in the same boat. I keep repurchasing RXPREP and registering for the exam and it's so expensive. I'm trying to come up with a new strategy as well. This time, I'm planning on purchasing a new questionbank because i feel like i know all the answers to the rxprep questions from doing them so many times! Does anybody have any suggestions about using BoardVitals vs. Kaplan? or a new stradegy!....any advice is much appreciated!!!

Last edited:
I took the old and new version of the naplex and passed both. Long story short, I wasn't passing cpje and never transferred my score so I had to retake naplex to take mpje for another state.

I used rxprep 2016 for my first naplex (old version) and did well but barely used their quizbank.
My second naplex (new version 250 questions), I used rxprep quiz bank and book 2016 with PNN videos. PNN helped me understand the materials better compared to rxprep. PNN biostats video was great compared to rxprep. The biostats video had tricks and tips that made answering the questions on naplex better. Rxprep calculations and compounding was better for naplex compared to PNN.

Hey, I totally feel you because I'm in the same boat. I have taken the exam twice now. I keep repurchasing RXPREP and registering for the exam and it's so expensive. I'm trying to come up with a new strategy as well. This time, I'm planning on purchasing a new questionbank because i feel like i know all the answers to the rxprep questions from doing them so many times! Does anybody have any suggestions about using BoardVitals vs. Kaplan? or a new stradegy!....any advice is much appreciated!!!

I really suggest purchasing prontopass.
It really helped me. A LOT of questions came directly from there and the great thing about it, is that the material is super concise.

Msg me if you want more info on them! I have the current version of the pronto package.

I'm sorry but I am going to judge right now. If you received a 4.0 and honors, that means you should be able to pass a minimum competency exam. Most of naplex is heavily weighed towards math and it's said that math is worth more points than non math questions. We have no one to verify but that's the general rule of thumb most people who have passed will agree on.

My exam, while was still the older version, had major emphasis on math. My sixth grade self would have still gotten every answer right except the questions relating to relative risks and bio stats and what not. I was a failing student with a 2.2 pharmacy GPA and 2.75 undergrad GPA. The exam had a pass rate of well over 90%. So to hear someone not passing at least the second try makes me judge. You can hate me for it, but someone has to be blunt about reality.

Just today a pharmacist verified lisinopril and prenatals without a second thought. I caught that at the sale and was furious.

I'm sorry but I am going to judge right now. If you received a 4.0 and honors, that means you should be able to pass a minimum competency exam. Most of naplex is heavily weighed towards math and it's said that math is worth more points than non math questions. We have no one to verify but that's the general rule of thumb most people who have passed will agree on.

My exam, while was still the older version, had major emphasis on math. My sixth grade self would have still gotten every answer right except the questions relating to relative risks and bio stats and what not. I was a failing student with a 2.2 pharmacy GPA and 2.75 undergrad GPA. The exam had a pass rate of well over 90%. So to hear someone not passing at least the second try makes me judge. You can hate me for it, but someone has to be blunt about reality.

Just today a pharmacist verified lisinopril and prenatals without a second thought. I caught that at the sale and was furious.

Thank you for your thoughtful and encouraging response - you must be SO intelligent. I graduated Magna Cum Laude in Biology and Chemistry, had a GPA above 3.0 in pharmacy school, and I obviously mentioned my MBA. I failed 4 times mostly due to being misdiagnosed with a GI infection when it was really appendicitis, RIGHT after my first attempt. I asked for a CBC w/ differential and when I got the results, I could tell my labs, symptoms, and the way the pain traveled all were consistent w/ appendicitis, but my physician still did not believe me and said it was a GI issue and would not call in a STAT CT. I tried to ignore the pain bc I wanted to be able to sit for my 2nd attempt; however, bc the pain became so awful one day that I couldn't walk(after the reschedule period had passed), I ignored my physician and had to go by ambulance to the ER - the day before my NAPLEX - and found out my appendix had ruptured bc of the misdiagnosis/believing my physician instead of trusting my gut (literally) and the signs... which caused me to lose my 2nd opportunity to take the exam since it was too late to reschedule... which made the situation even more awful. Because it had ruptured (and apparently had been for some time), I had sepsis and immediately had to go into surgery. When they cut me open, the surgeons could not find my appendix bc of all the infection present, causing them to have to open me up instead of performing a laparoscopic procedure. I had also developed peritonitis and the infection also spread to most of my small intestine, causing me to lose most of it. I was told that I almost died during surgery, but luckily, I survived. I was in the hospital for over a week due to complications and couldn't do ANYTHING by myself afterward (including walking, bathing, etc). Therefore, I was not able to sit 6 hours w/ only 2 bathroom breaks (since you feel the need to judge, I feel the need to have to put this nasty information - since you feel the need to be so nasty.) Furthermore, I had several deaths in my family and many other reasons that kept me from succeeding that I feel are so much worse, I don't want to post it online. Not only did that happen, but on my last attempt, my computer had technology issues and froze, along with administration errors, causing me to lose time; however, I was not allowed to get the score nulled bc I didn't know it couldn't be nulled if you continued the exam after technology issues.

I realize part of it was bc I performed poorly on the most important section and didn't/COULDN'T prepare correctly, not to mention again that I am TERRIBLE at math, which is why I posted on here in the first place. But that wasn't the only reason I failed, so hold your judgment. Don't judge when you don't know someone's life situation. I did very well on therapeutics - just not on the calculations/biostats/compounding sections, which I know are the most important, and I now know what I did wrong. I'm so glad your sixth-grade self could have gotten every answer correct, which is obvious with that killer GPA during pharm school... I'm sure that would be completely possible for you.

Congrats on your success. Too bad you're such a cocky jerk (nicest words I can say about you online.)

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughtful and encouraging response - you must be SO intelligent. I graduated Magna Cum Laude in Biology and Chemistry, had a GPA above 3.0 in pharmacy school, and I obviously mentioned my MBA. I failed 4 times mostly due to being misdiagnosed with a GI infection when it was really appendicitis, RIGHT after my first attempt. I asked for a CBC w/ differential and when I got the results, I could tell my labs, symptoms, and the way the pain traveled all were consistent w/ appendicitis, but my physician still did not believe me and said it was a GI issue and would not call in a STAT CT. I tried to ignore the pain bc I wanted to be able to sit for my 2nd attempt; however, bc the pain became so awful one day that I couldn't walk(after the reschedule period had passed), I ignored my physician and had to go by ambulance to the ER - the day before my NAPLEX - and found out my appendix had ruptured bc of the misdiagnosis/believing my physician instead of trusting my gut (literally) and the signs... which caused me to lose my 2nd opportunity to take the exam since it was too late to reschedule... which made the situation even more awful. Because it had ruptured (and apparently had been for some time), I had sepsis and immediately had to go into surgery. When they cut me open, the surgeons could not find my appendix bc of all the infection present, causing them to have to open me up instead of performing a laparoscopic procedure. I had also developed peritonitis and the infection also spread to most of my small intestine, causing me to lose most of it. I was told that I almost died during surgery, but luckily, I survived. I was in the hospital for over a week due to complications and couldn't do ANYTHING by myself afterward (including walking, bathing, etc). Therefore, I was not able to sit 6 hours w/ only 2 bathroom breaks (since you feel the need to judge, I feel the need to have to put this nasty information - since you feel the need to be so nasty.) Furthermore, I had several deaths in my family and many other reasons that kept me from succeeding that I feel are so much worse, I don't want to post it online. Not only did that happen, but on my last attempt, my computer had technology issues and froze, along with administration errors, causing me to lose time; however, I was not allowed to get the score nulled bc I didn't know it couldn't be nulled if you continued the exam after technology issues.

I realize part of it was bc I performed poorly on the most important section and didn't/COULDN'T prepare correctly, not to mention again that I am TERRIBLE at math, which is why I posted on here in the first place. But that wasn't the only reason I failed, so hold your judgment. Don't judge when you don't know someone's life situation. I did very well on therapeutics - just not on the calculations/biostats/compounding sections, which I know are the most important, and I now know what I did wrong. I'm so glad your sixth-grade self could have gotten every answer correct, which is obvious with that killer GPA during pharm school... I'm sure that would be completely possible for you.

Congrats on your success. Too bad you're such a cocky jerk (nicest words I can say about you online.)

With those kinds of diagnoses you should have postponed taking the exam to begin with. You could literally change the date even 1 week before the actual testing date.

And being a jerk is not me at all. I'm just saying how it is. I've even almost failed out of pharmacy school. Don't let someone intimidate or walk all over you. The exam is a minimal competency test. Passing grade is 50% of the total overall points. 75/150. It's very generous.

With those kinds of diagnoses you should have postponed taking the exam to begin with. You could literally change the date even 1 week before the actual testing date.

And being a jerk is not me at all. I'm just saying how it is. I've even almost failed out of pharmacy school. Don't let someone intimidate or walk all over you. The exam is a minimal competency test. Passing grade is 50% of the total overall points. 75/150. It's very generous.

The deadline is actually 48 hours before scheduled exam time with no penalties.

Yes, I VERY much wish I could have postponed it. But like I said above, I didn't get the test results until AFTER the 48 hr period that you can change the date - and my PCP said it was most likely a bug and I would start to feel better by my exam (and I stupidly trusted her). I was going to get a 2nd opinion after, but my body couldn't make it that long. I just had been studying for over a month and felt prepared, so I just wanted to get it over with, then deal w/ my health. Had I known how serious it was the week/48hrs before, I def would have postponed, but I trusted my PCP until the pain/sickness was so bad that I couldn't walk (24 hrs before).

It seems that you may not be aware that the exam has changed to 6 hrs and 250 questions (plus the 48hr change period rule) - not 175 q/4 hrs like before. It is MUCH different - plus, I believe more difficult and intense since so many new schools are popping up EVERYWHERE (3 in my state alone have opened recently... yay for more market saturation...). It is minimum competency, but it is difficult to finish/think clearly bc I had to take unscheduled breaks for every attempt except the first. I also got a 74 the first time, so the rest of my scores haven't been super low - just lower than the first time, but not much (even w/ leaving the room SEVERAL times/running out of time.) I passed 2 MPJEs on the first attempt before all this happened, so I believe I am not ill-prepared to be a competent pharmacist just bc of my situation, so plz keep your judgments to yourself.

You may not be a jerk in person, but your comments came off that way. I can't describe how horrible it feels to know I couldn't change my date and rack up thousands of dollars in bills, plus the automatic fail for not being able to take the exam - it's not like I chose or was able to plan for this to happen. I also got laid off too for not being able to work that following month (it happened the last few days of the month before), so life has been a jerk to me already.

Truly, I am glad that you didn't fail out of pharm school... I knew several people that did or fell back a year at my school... and also passed your boards. But since life has been beating me down already, I don't need more negativity right now. Plz try to have a heart... it's not like I was lazy and didn't study - and I doubt the others were either. In my opinion, empathy is EXTREMELY important in pharmacy, and your comments came off as if you don't have much. I do appreciate your comment about not letting people intimidate or walk all over me - that has DEFINITELY affected my performance too, so thank you. I am not saying you're a bad person or pharmacist and I congratulate you on your success. I hope to be in your position soon.

Last edited:
did you have to sit extra classes after the 3rd attempt?

Hi I’m sort of in the same boat as you. I failed the naplex 3 times. I’m just curious as to how long you had to wait after your 3rd attempt to take it the fourth time?

Hi I’m sort of in the same boat as you. I failed the naplex 3 times. How long did you have to wait before attempting the fourth time?

Hi everyone, I am selling the PNN Book + online course for a good price. The book is in brand new condition along with the course I can offer $700. Please msg me back if you are interested. The book is super helpful and for people with multiple fail attempts it will help you pass the exam. !

Hi I’m sort of in the same boat as you. I failed the naplex 3 times. How long did you have to wait before attempting the fourth time?
Hello, dearly. Study hard and you will pass the next time. I am selling my PNN course book and online course for only $700. The book has only been used for 2 months and in brand new condition.You would have to use/do the online course and PNN test bank questions in order to effectively pass the exam. Please let me know if interested. Good luck!

is your 4th attempt your last attempt? has your studying changed since the first attempt?

Hi everyone, I failed Naplex 4 times scoring in the 60s everytime. I used RxPrep for all my last trials. Took all tests in the same state. I heard some people were able to pass after taking Naplex in different state after they fail their first attempts. Does anyone know anything about that?

Sorry to hear about all the failed attempts. I'd highly recommend using the new Kaplan 2018 NAPLEX book for the calculation, pharmacokinetics, & the pharmaceutics parts of the exam. The RxPrep book presented these 3 sections really horribly, to be honest; they're very redundant in terms of terminology & difficulty. That Kaplan book also comes with 2 free full-length practice test with super-hard calculation questions & PK questions, which in, my opinion, match or even surpass the difficulties encountered on the real NAPLEX itself, do them all and take notes carefully, repeat them daily until you master.
Also, If you're really serious about it, do all the questions available from the RxPrep question bank and type out specific, condensed notes for the contents from questions that you got wrong, review these notes everyday before you do new questions & before bedtime. Type out those notes in numbering bullet format & bold/italicize/underline keywords so that you can review them later quicker. Buy a book called NAPLEX nuggets (available on amazon), read a few pages every morning & before bedtime.
Along with this activity, you need to learn the brand names, there're ~1,000 drug brand names out there that you need to know in order to cruise through the language of NAPLEX therapeutic questions comfortably, forget about those top 200 drugs the school taught you, it's just not enough. Use quizlet to make a flashcard set of: brand name vs generic/MOA by your own & study it for maximum memorization effect.
It helps to buy the 238 Pharmacotherapy Case Flashcards by Lange, and again, type out condensed, succinct notes when you study each of those cases. Information from those concepts may appear in one form or another on the real test.
Overall, Just rinse & repeat these activities until you have finished all modules from RxPrep questions bank, 2 Kaplan NAPLEX practices tests, it took me 8 weeks of midcore-hardcore study (~5 hours or more per day) & I finally passed in my 2nd attempt. Good luck, stay away from distractions as you study, but also don't forget to relax.