Take Undergrad Courses During Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WayChanger

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked online, but can't seem to find much info on the subject. In general, do med schools let you take undergraduate courses (provided there is an undergraduate school) while you are enrolled as a med student? For example, I think I'd like to learn Spanish or continue studying Japanese during med school...is enrolling in undergrad courses like such allowed, provided they don't conflict with required med school courses?

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

WayChanger said:
I've looked online, but can't seem to find much info on the subject. In general, do med schools let you take undergraduate courses (provided there is an undergraduate school) while you are enrolled as a med student? For example, I think I'd like to learn Spanish or continue studying Japanese during med school...is enrolling in undergrad courses like such allowed, provided they don't conflict with required med school courses?

Cheers

Many schools have medical spanish as an elective, don't know about japanese. If you want to take undergrad classes I think you will have to enroll seperately as a postbach.

Depends at your school.

I know some schools (in particular, the P/F programs) allow you to take some undergrad courses. I knew a friend who took Spanish his first year in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you want to take MORE classes during med school? I aim to savor all the 'down-time' I can.

nebrfan said:
Why would you want to take MORE classes during med school? I aim to savor all the 'down-time' I can.
I agree... I can't see myself having time to do anything more academically.

I took a 6 week intensive medical spanish course before I went to Costa Rica the summer after my first year. It was definitely worth the extra hassle of studying for an extra class (although we are purely P/F, so I wasn't gunning for 100%). My school paid for it. I had never taken a spanish class before and I wanted to get the most out of my trip.

I forgot to mention our school does pay for any class in general. One guy in my class took a wine tasting course, which ended up being harder than he thought!

WayChanger said:

Cheers

I'm hoping to take some language courses (Korean) during my third year (after clinicals). I haven't looked into it yet though. I wouldn't dare try to squeeze it in during my med school classes or rotations.

At my school you could do this. However, if these extra classes were scheduled during the "typical" class hours, you would have to end up choosing which class to attend, since med school classes during first and second year would conflict the vast majority of the time. There was far more classtime in med school than in undergrad, at least if you attended everything you were supposed to.

3rd year....no time for other classes.
4th year....maybe time for other classes, depending on your rotation schedule. But it would be tough.