Take-Home (Net) Pay of Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ussdfiant

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are budgeting for next year. How much do interns take home after taxes, deductions, etc.? I'm curious about this in general, regardless of location (although including your location and specialty would be helpful to know- -I'm applying for Internal Medicine). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My income this year is about $2550 a month after taxes in North Carolina.

Members don't see this ad :)
I make around $2500 a month, after deductions and taxes, here in Atlanta.

~39k gross per annum in chicago before taxes/withholding/etc.

ballpark around 2400/month after all is said and done.

-t

Second question. Is it possible for one who is married with a 1 year old to live in Atlanta and NC..with that salary? Thanks.

Ya exactly $1265 every 2 weeks for me.
As far as living w/ a child, I would say of course. Now you have to live somewhere w/ a resonable rent/morage. For example,

~$2500/month
-$800 in rent (I know ATL could be more expensive?)
-$200 for utilities(electricity, gas, phone...)
-$150 gas
so far $1350 left
-$250 for food
-$50 cell phone
down to $1050
-$120 car insurance
to $930
- $150 (childs expenses, I guessing here)
to $780
-$200 general entertainment
to $580
so I mean you still have room to go up on rent and add other stuff

1st year law clerk makes minimum 50k and if they went to a top school, 6 figures in the FIRST year!! :eek:

I make about $3500 a month in Pittsburgh, in family practice.

Edit: that is before taxes...$2600 after taxes.

kirk002 said:
Second question. Is it possible for one who is married with a 1 year old to live in Atlanta and NC..with that salary? Thanks.

in NC, definitely. i don't know anything abt atlanta.

you can rent a very nice condo for about 800-1000 a month. . .i'm assuming your wife either doesn't work, or if she works it'll be enough to cover the cost of childcare. . .so for living expenses & bills alone, your salary should be just fine. i mean, obviously you'll have to budget, especially depending on your car payments, etc. . . but in any case, you shouldn't be hurting to live here.

NC is a good state. in both of the metropolitan areas (raleigh/durham/CH) and charlotte, there are lots of young people, young professionals, young families.

Atlanta is cheap (compared to other major cities). 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom apartments in great areas of town will run between $700-$1000. If you're looking to buy, you can get great 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom condos or houses in good locations for under $200k.

Blade28 said:
Atlanta is cheap (compared to other major cities). 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom apartments in great areas of town will run between $700-$1000. If you're looking to buy, you can get great 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom condos or houses in good locations for under $200k.
gotta have a car though :)

I've lived in Atlanta and NYC. Atlanta... no problem.... NYC....no way. :) But Atlanta is pretty hectic and crowded. I would go with Raleigh NC or somewhere like that instead.

$1,246 biweekly after taxes and before health insurance premium is deducted.

What is 12daily pro? PLease explain. :confused:

mackie said:
$2,246 biweekly after taxes and before health insurance premium is deducted.

Wait, you make $4500 a month after taxes? What year resident/fellow are you?

Blade28 said:
Wait, you make $4500 a month after taxes? What year resident/fellow are you?

oops, that's an error. I meant to write $1246, not $2246 . . . wishful thinking. haha

APACHE3 said:
What is 12daily pro? PLease explain. :confused:

It's an autosurfing site that pays 12% daily if you autosurf through 12 sites. PM me for more details.

what about los angeles? ... is it livable on ~$2400 ?