Take Additional Biology Course or Study for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user2475

Reaction score
Hello! I have a question regarding a decision to take a Molecular Biology class next semester.

I am planning on taking the DAT in summer 2021 and will start studying for it as soon as the Fall 2020 semester ends. I am struggling to decide whether I should take a Molecular Biology class (in addition to Orgo 2 + required humanities courses) or to only take Orgo 2 + my humanities courses and dedicate time to studying for the DAT. Taking enough courses for my major/to graduate is not an issue--I am ahead with my courses and my extracurriculars + GPA are fine, and I have the courses I should take before dental school planned out.
I'm just unsure as to which would be the better course of action to perform better on the DAT: whether I should take Molecular Biology (which, from the resources I read, is supposed to cover topics on the DAT) or to just go straight into DAT studying.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I have a question regarding a decision to take a Molecular Biology class next semester.

I am planning on taking the DAT in summer 2021 and will start studying for it as soon as the Fall 2020 semester ends. I am struggling to decide whether I should take a Molecular Biology class (in addition to Orgo 2 + required humanities courses) or to only take Orgo 2 + my humanities courses and dedicate time to studying for the DAT. Taking enough courses for my major/to graduate is not an issue--I am ahead with my courses and my extracurriculars + GPA are fine, and I have the courses I should take before dental school planned out.
I'm just unsure as to which would be the better course of action to perform better on the DAT: whether I should take Molecular Biology (which, from the resources I read, is supposed to cover topics on the DAT) or to just go straight into DAT studying.

Thank you!
you are planning to study for the DAT for 6+ months?

You may be different, but most people get burned out trying to study for the DAT for more than 2 months at a time. I personally learn more by taking classes than random personal study, so I would take the class. However, if you’re able to read info on you own and understand it well enough to test over it (most people in college now days can do this, unfortunately I can’t), then skip the class.