taiwan dr. vs US dr.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halitosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those who has been to doctors/dentists in both taiwan and america, do you agree that the taiwanese ones are usually, not always, less humane, less patient-oriented, less friendly, less smiling?

Members don't see this ad.

Halitosis said:
for those who has been to doctors/dentists in both taiwan and america, do you agree that the taiwanese ones are usually, not always, less humane, less patient-oriented, less friendly, less smiling?

Yes they do, particularly the elder Tainwanese doctors. However,doctors' attitude are getting better recently, as they are trying to be more patient and respect to the patients.

dude, that's not just doctors/dentists - that's how the asian culture is. everything is clean cut, there's a definining line, there's no emotion, etc etc.

i'm sure it changes eventually.

TWN doctors don't do a residency either do they?

Members don't see this ad :)
Like US docs, Taiwanese docs must complete a residency to be fully liscensed to practice medicine. Residency and fellowship duration requirement for just about every specialty are very much similar to US requirement (ex. IM-3 years; OB-4 years, neurosurgery 6-7 years). In addition, competitiveness also very much resembles that of US (ex. most top graduates of medical school often seeking residency in derm or ENT) DERMATOLOGY IS THE MOST COMPETITVE SPECIALTY IN TAIWAN FOR RECENT GRADUATES.

just my 2 cents
Felinefans

thanks, i didn't know that. my parents went to college in TWN and the doctors there didn't do residencies...of course this was back in the 1970's so things must have changed since then.

NDESTRUKT said:
thanks, i didn't know that. my parents went to college in TWN and the doctors there didn't do residencies...of course this was back in the 1970's so things must have changed since then.

Maybe it's just the FP/GPs who didn't do residency?

no...my mom was a nurse at Tai Da and she said they didn't do residencies at the time...like the medicine there was really subpar to what the US was or what the medicine there is like now.