tail coverage length for pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckerfree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the optimal length for tail coverage for pathologists? Is 3 years enough? Or 5 years? Or unlimited?

Are statutes of limitations relevant for different states, particularly if you worked in a reference lab servicing multiple states?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the statute of limitations in your state? That might guide it.

Some states have limited terms of potential liability. In my state, I think (but I'm not sure) it's 2 years from the date of "injury." But you have another 3-4 years to "discover" an unknown injury before it starts the 2 year clock again. That is, if you discover a mistake was made after 3 years, you can still sue. But if you knew about it 3 years before, you can't sue for that anymore. And I think if it's more than 6 years, you can't sue at all (excepting cases of fraud or something). Every state is different - some may be unlimited, some may be more restrictive.

These laws change in the even of outright fraud though, and sometimes limits don't exist for pediatric cases or something.

These laws are also always subject to change with whoever controls the judiciary machinery in the state though.

Keep in mind that it is different for kids: in some states, the clock does not start to run until the kid turns 18, in other states, they have an additional 10 years, or in other states some other number of years.

To be absolutely certain, you need to account for the statute of limitations in your state + 18 years.