Tablet for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MChem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any current medical students let me know which tablet they use for classes? Preferably one that I can take notes/draw on power point slides as well hold medical/anatomy apps? I have been told this is a much better alternative to paper and pen. Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would get an iPad, hands down. The medical apps for other devices just do not compare to those available for the iPad.

Can any current medical students let me know which tablet they use for classes? Preferably one that I can take notes/draw on power point slides as well hold medical/anatomy apps? I have been told this is a much better alternative to paper and pen. Thank you in advance :)

I didn't use a standalone tablet but I did use a Wacom tablet you plug into your laptop for my 1st year. It was nice because I could draw on stuff, highlight, underline, etc. I was completely digital. I didn't use paper notes. I would re-type my notes on my laptop. It saved a lot of trees.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on your price range.

Recently I watched the CNET reviews, read through some forums, and search this forum when I was deciding on getting an new Tablet (I had a cheaper Android).
It came down to the Google Nexus, Samsung and IPAD 2. I think I would have been happy with any of the three but I ended with the IPAD 4. (don't ask how that happened, just know Apple empolyees are great at their job :oops: )

I know this sounds kind of dumb but, I've never used a computer or anything to take notes in class. (Not sure I ever actually paid enough attention to take any notes in undergrad) How hard is it to adjust to using these technologies? I guess I had assumed I would just print the notes and write on them but would it be better to plan ahead on buying a tablet?

I know this sounds kind of dumb but, I've never used a computer or anything to take notes in class. (Not sure I ever actually paid enough attention to take any notes in undergrad) How hard is it to adjust to using these technologies? I guess I had assumed I would just print the notes and write on them but would it be better to plan ahead on buying a tablet?

Actually the student at the school I'm going to attend says she tried hand written but she had a 4 inch binder of notes for one class before it had finished. So she went for the tablet and raved about it and showed me how he used it. It's totally worth it IMO and I am not a tech person at all! I love the multi colored, highlighted, drawn on notes I used in undergrad. So I believe the technology is needed and probably sooner than later

I think it depends on your price range.

Recently I watched the CNET reviews, read through some forums, and search this forum when I was deciding on getting an new Tablet (I had a cheaper Android).
It came down to the Google Nexus, Samsung and IPAD 2. I think I would have been happy with any of the three but I ended with the IPAD 4. (don't ask how that happened, just know Apple empolyees are great at their job :oops: )

Ooooo when is it being released? I may hold out for it if it is the best

It's not that difficult at all. Many of my classmates take their notes on their laptops/tablets, and some had never owned an iPad before school. I use my tablet more for the medical apps than anything else. Plus, my school gives us ebooks so it's nice to just have a tablet with all our books on it.

Nexus 7, all the way. I got one at the beginning of the year and it's fantastic. Perfect size for reading, if you use Evernote it's awesome. Medical apps exist on both markets but for classes they don't even matter yet. It's also relatively super cheap.

What kind of smartphone do you use, if you use one? Typically it's a bad idea to swap ecosystems, people tend to have a hard time with it. I was already an android user so it was a no-brainer to get a nexus but maybe you use an iphone and would be more comfortable with an ipad.

Ooooo when is it being released? I may hold out for it if it is the best

Lol I go into the "not an apple worshiper" group and call the IPAD with Retina Display an IPAD 4 as oppose to an update on 3.

Is it worth it in comparison to the Nexus, that is up for debate.

if you're 1st or 2nd year then i wouldnt worry about getting one unless you learn by reading and you all have a notes/scribes system. how often are you actually going to be studying on the go where you cant get to a laptop/book within an hour? i see 1st and 2nd years studying with an mac and ipad in front of them...unnecessary. i still have a flip phone, so i am biased.

a tablet helps a lot on rotations though, and id go with a 7inch whatever (i have a nexus) that fits into your white coat pocket/scrubs pockets. otherwise, wait 2 years for when tablets replace laptops. take that $250-$500 and buy yourself a plane ticket somewhere nice when you get a 3 day weekend

ipad all the way. i never print anything.

i was skeptical at first, but it's so much better than paper.

If you're on budget get a nexus 7. If money is no object get an ipad or a nexus 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nexus 7 and iPad mini fit great in white coats and work great for 3rd and 4th year. Nexus is a little more narrow and easier to work with at the hospital.

I would get an iPad, hands down. The medical apps for other devices just do not compare to those available for the iPad.

Are those apps available in some form on MBP/MBA?

Get a Nexus 7, put a pdf/editing app, Kindle app + Robbins/other review books.

So perfect for reading

ipad all the way. i never print anything.

i was skeptical at first, but it's so much better than paper.

Much better, I don't lug anything around. I love using my iPad, I use Notability for writing on ppt slides and note handouts and it syncs with dropbox so I have everything backed up and accessible anywhere. In addition, if I want to find something quick in a notes handout I can just search for it by typing it in, I would highly suggest it.

Notability stores my notes as a PDF on dropbox which I pull up on my MBP... works well.

Much better, I don't lug anything around. I love using my iPad, I use Notability for writing on ppt slides and note handouts and it syncs with dropbox so I have everything backed up and accessible anywhere. In addition, if I want to find something quick in a notes handout I can just search for it by typing it in, I would highly suggest it.

Notability stores my notes as a PDF on dropbox which I pull up on my MBP... works well.

How is it different than typing your notes and exporting it as a PDF (or just using Preview to add to the PDF/Slides) to dropbox? I've been swayed towards a new laptop (instead of a tablet) and am just trying to make sure I won't be missing anything by passing on the tablet.

I'm honestly not sure. I've never tried to access any of my apps on the laptop.

I've had both an Android and an iPhone and can say without a doubt the apps on the iPhone/iPad are far superior to the ones available for Android devices. I'm actually considering the iPad mini for rotations, but I'm not going to entertain the idea of spending that kind of money until I get close to that bridge.

I may have already told you this in another thread... but do not get an iPad for slideshow annotation in my opinion. You're far better off with a Lenovo and Microsoft OneNote for that purpose. There's just no comparison, absolutely no comparison.

Also, for what it's worth, in addition to being a cop I was also president of an IT business for 10 years. Given my geek background I thought I would just use OneNote and have all my slides in there and be set. Wrong. I print everything out. If you've never studied your notes digitally you'll be shocked how much you miss the tactile feel. Plus, sometimes the only way you'll force yourself to get anything done is to lock yourself in a study room without a computer, phone, or tablet.... with a stack of powerpoints to go through.

By the time we're in rotations (2014 forward) the iPad Mini will be the be-all-end-all device for most med students imo. Until then all of the med apps have very little use for us.

I use an iPad 2 with iAnnotate for lectures. I store my files on dropbox. I access my school's files by the Blackboard app. These three apps is part of my workflow, and it has been awesome.

How is it different than typing your notes and exporting it as a PDF (or just using Preview to add to the PDF/Slides) to dropbox? I've been swayed towards a new laptop (instead of a tablet) and am just trying to make sure I won't be missing anything by passing on the tablet.
So we get note handouts and powerpoints before class, I pull them up in notability, highlight, annotate, draw, ect on them. Later when I study my notes I pull them up on my ipad or mbp and then type out an outline from those notes. You won't be missing anything, in my opinion... I'm sure it would work to type up your notes, seems like too much work while I would be in class

Anyone considered rooting a Nook color or Nook Tablet. They are a little older (not that much older) and less powerful than the Nexus 7 but if you're low on cash they make amazing Andriod tablets and will run just about anything you put on it (albeit may be a little slower).

I print everything out. If you've never studied your notes digitally you'll be shocked how much you miss the tactile feel. Plus, sometimes the only way you'll force yourself to get anything done is to lock yourself in a study room without a computer, phone, or tablet.... with a stack of powerpoints to go through.

There are some people in my class who are the same way and have to print out everything. I use to be one of those people, and that's why I mentioned skepticism about my school switching to digital notes/powerpoints.

After using the iPad though, I wouldn't go back to paper. It offers MANY more options for annotating, organizing, etc. Something as simple as erasing a mistake on an iPad is something you can't necessarily do with paper if you write with a pen/highlighter. Also, I walk around with thousands of pages of paper all contained on a 1.5lbs. device. I don't have to bother with hole punching, printing, copying or anything else; it's just a simple download from Blackboard. And what if you lost your precious binder? All of your highlights/annotations are gone...mine are all backed up online and on my MBP.

As for advantages of iPad vs. paper, this seriously only scratches the surface. Some people say they need the look and feel of paper to effectively study, but really? Everyone is different, so do whatever works for you. However, saying there is even one advantage of paper over the iPad is pushing it. It's not even debatable.

So we get note handouts and powerpoints before class, I pull them up in notability, highlight, annotate, draw, ect on them. Later when I study my notes I pull them up on my ipad or mbp and then type out an outline from those notes. You won't be missing anything, in my opinion... I'm sure it would work to type up your notes, seems like too much work while I would be in class

Hmm. Well the thing is I'm debating between an iPad and a new laptop. The laptop I have now works fine, but it's heavy enough to be annoying to carry around and the battery life is only about 3 hours. It's also a PC so idk how easily I could edit and use documents between it and an iPad.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

went thru most of anatomy without a tablet. i regret it every day cause for physio and all of my classes now that I have one its amazing and im so much more efficient/able to grasp the material 100x better. way more organized. i have an ipad 2 and its good enough for me. i would definitly have a tablet for med school. its awsome

This has been very helpful. I think I will go some where like HH Greg and see if I can test some out

quick note on the nexus 7, they have had issues with screen lifting that has supposedly resolved, but if you get one and keep it in your pants pocket (dont recommend this), the movements caused by evaluating your patients like a ninja can stress the screen and cause a crack--happened to me. whatever you get, buy a rigid case, a stylus, and a screen protector.

As for advantages of iPad vs. paper, this seriously only scratches the surface. Some people say they need the look and feel of paper to effectively study, but really? Everyone is different, so do whatever works for you. However, saying there is even one advantage of paper over the iPad is pushing it. It's not even debatable.

At the recommendation of one of our younger professors I switched back to paper. His point was that I've studied paper for 25+ years why change it during the most crucial academic time of my life. I agreed it made little sense and tried it. There were two things I noticed very quickly that I consider benefits:

I take a lot more notes than I did. Writing on the Lenovos is as realistic as tablet writing can ever be and I thought I was really good at it - but I still get a lot more down on the page and seem to cut down on the 'having to relisten time' post-lecture.

Second, it's ten times easier to flip back and forth between slides on paper during lecture than it is trying to grab a scrollbar with the stylus and scroll up and down.

I think the reason paper works better for me is because in the middle of a test, when I'm trying to remember the visual image of something, it's impossible for me to visualize an infinitely scrolling page of images. However, if I think back to a handout, I'm able to do so.

To each their own!

At the recommendation of one of our younger professors I switched back to paper. His point was that I've studied paper for 25+ years why change it during the most crucial academic time of my life. I agreed it made little sense and tried it. There were two things I noticed very quickly that I consider benefits:

I take a lot more notes than I did. Writing on the Lenovos is as realistic as tablet writing can ever be and I thought I was really good at it - but I still get a lot more down on the page and seem to cut down on the 'having to relisten time' post-lecture.

Second, it's ten times easier to flip back and forth between slides on paper during lecture than it is trying to grab a scrollbar with the stylus and scroll up and down.

I think the reason paper works better for me is because in the middle of a test, when I'm trying to remember the visual image of something, it's impossible for me to visualize an infinitely scrolling page of images. However, if I think back to a handout, I'm able to do so.

To each their own!

I'm the same way. I think I'm still going to get a new laptop (something light weight and with good battery life and good enough processing power to have multiple PDFs/PPTs/video lectures up at once). but will stick to doing work the way I have all my life. Typing some notes, but mainly writing by hand and keeping notebooks.

To each their own!

I completely agree on the flipping back and forth on paper and a tablet, I would much rather have a real book in my hands when it comes to studying. I'm probably a little old school since I'm a bit older than the average med student. Although tablets are great for lots of other stuff, in fact I'm using a Nexus 7 right now and I really like it but couldn't do any major studying on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Tablets are amazing tools for medical school. Everything is movable to PDF or some type of format that can be easily organized on your tablet. You can use apps to put power points side by side with your notes and even audio if your so inclined.

You have to think about a few individual things like what kind of ecosystem your investing in. I use apple products and I want all my previous apps and libraries to sync. That said the Nexus is an amazing device. We're really lucky to be studying medicine in an era with all these tools. Can you imagine going to the library to get some huge book every time you needed to look things up....Christ that sounds horrible.

I just sold my iPad 2 and got the mini with 64 gigs. Why the investment? This may not be true for everyone or important enough until wards but the economy of what your carry with you is important. Even if you don't have back problems and a hatred for extra crap like me, there's still only so much you can carry. I'm also a video watcher. I have tons of lecture videos on my iPad mini for down time on the wards. I just try to find a quiet place and select topic that relates to my patients and put it on a little higher speed, sit back, relax and learn.

I've started leaving behind all my other things like reference materials. Everything I need is on PDF on this thing. You just have to get organized and good with maximizing its use. Watch the younger folks, they teach all kinds of tricks.

The iPad mini, like the nexus, is light as a feather. I've even started toting my reflex hammer because my pockets are so light and free.

I can't recommend these these the enough. I have a 4 year old lap top at home that does fine when I need it. But all of my studying is done with this thing.

Last edited:
I completely agree on the flipping back and forth on paper and a tablet, I would much rather have a real book in my hands when it comes to studying. I'm probably a little old school since I'm a bit older than the average med student. Although tablets are great for lots of other stuff, in fact I'm using a Nexus 7 right now and I really like it but couldn't do any major studying on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Yeah I hear you. The physical memory of writing and drawing by hand is a powerful route into human imagination and memory. I still notate UWorld into a my review book and use that to review for a test. But my iPad is still there with the qbank as I copy it. And that's all the old-fashioned tactile work I do.

Some people may feel more comfortable the old way. But printing up the tons and tons of lecture slides to paper for years 1 and 2 and the keeping them all organized just seems to inefficient to me, but bottom line is what works for your own self.

Hmm. Well the thing is I'm debating between an iPad and a new laptop. The laptop I have now works fine, but it's heavy enough to be annoying to carry around and the battery life is only about 3 hours. It's also a PC so idk how easily I could edit and use documents between it and an iPad.

If you use dropbox it is universal so you can edit just fine between an iPad and a PC.

If you use dropbox it is universal so you can edit just fine between an iPad and a PC.

Is there a better cloud data storage than the dropbox?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Yeah I hear you. The physical memory of writing and drawing by hand is a powerful route into human imagination and memory. I still notate UWorld into a my review book and use that to review for a test. But my iPad is still there with the qbank as I copy it. And that's all the old-fashioned tactile work I do.

Some people may feel more comfortable the old way. But printing up the tons and tons of lecture slides to paper for years 1 and 2 and the keeping them all organized just seems to inefficient to me, but bottom line is what works for your own self.

I definitely plan on getting some kind of tablet for the wards, but for preclinical I think a laptop and some paper will do just fine. We can get pdf copies of books on laptops too so I can always explore it that way.. Sort of like a medium between new (tablet) and old
(paper).

Thanks for clearing that up!

Is there a better cloud data storage than the dropbox?

I use both iCloud and Dropbox, both of which work fine in my opinion. But I'm pretty sure there are a number of free cloud storage systems, I would just select Dropbox because of its wide app platform (works on lots of systems ie Mac, PC, Android, iOS)

Same thing for Google Drive, I believe. That's what my class uses.

But how would that work with ipad that we will be getting at NSU?

But how would that work with ipad that we will be getting at NSU?

Google has apps for the iPad, or you can use the browser to access Gmail.

For those of you that got the Nexus 7, do you feel like the HSPA+ addition helpful, or was the wifi one more than enough?

My friend has an Asus tablet, and it's pretty cool. Has more functions than the ipad, I know people who do similar things with Ipads, but the tablet seems slightly more functional... He sends me his notes from OneNote because apple doesn't have a comparable program... :) It's pretty sweet...

My friend has an Asus tablet, and it's pretty cool. Has more functions than the ipad, I know people who do similar things with Ipads, but the tablet seems slightly more functional... He sends me his notes from OneNote because apple doesn't have a comparable program... :) It's pretty sweet...

There is a Microsoft One Note available for IPAD, it doesn't have all the features from what I have been told but it does the job.

There is a Microsoft One Note available for IPAD, it doesn't have all the features from what I have been told but it does the job.

I really need to figure out how to use One Note. And End Note... compiling references is a pain.

Last edited:
I really need to figure out how to use One Note. Compiling references is a pain.

What do you mean by compiling references?

ipad. If for nothing else then at least you can put all your books on it and use it as a consolidated reading device for all your material instead of carrying out huge netters text etc.

ipad. If for nothing else then at least you can put all your books on it and use it as a consolidated reading device for all your material instead of carrying out huge netters text etc.

Nexus tablet can be used for the same just as well, just saying

Nexus tablet can be used for the same just as well, just saying

That's true. Go for whatever the cheapest tablet that works best is. Nexus is a good one. If you can save money then do that for sure.

There's some that use the digital version of netters, whichever version you choose just make sure you get it!

Btw, nexus was voted by cnet as the best tablet