TA/Teaching Assistant

Az1698

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I've seen some posts talking about TA/Teaching assistants. Could someone explain what it is and how you get it? This is something I think I would be interested in

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
I've seen some posts talking about TA/Teaching assistants. Could someone explain what it is and how you get it? This is something I think I would be interested in

With a TA position, you do all of the work that a professor does not want to do: i.e. grading. At my University (Big 10) you are sometimes also expected to hold a discussion section to reinforce material that students learn in lecture.

You are compensated well (~$20/hr + tuition discount). Often, you will have to compete with graduate students for a TA position; and they win.

There's also a lab TA which is much less awesome. Lab TAs (at my school at least) are basically working for the graduate student who's the "lab instructor" (basically a TA).

The lab TAs don't get paid at all and it's just for a resume buff. They also deal with about 20 cranky, grade-grubbing pre-meds (myself included). So, it's a real pain in the ass in my opinion and not worth the hassle.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you get involved?

Wow 20$/hr? My friend that is a TA gets paid nowhere near that.

As far as how to get involved, basically, you just take the course and become friends with the professor and then email or apply for the job.

What jobs do you have to do as a TA? Do All Schools have TA's? How Early can you start? 2nd semester freshmen year?

What jobs do you have to do as a TA? Do All Schools have TA's? How Early can you start? 2nd semester freshmen year?

At many undergraduate colleges, it's very common for undergraduates to TA. This is how it worked at my school:

1) Take the class you want to TA
2) Do well in it
3) Wait until TA applications go in for the following academic year.
4) Apply
5) Interview
6) Land TA position.

While my school had a formal process (each department had forms to fill out, complete with faculty recommendations and an interview), many schools or departments are less formal and positions may be filled by professors approaching their best students to offer a slot.

Once you land a TA position, the jobs can vary. Most involve some sort of required grading. Many also require students to teach a recitation session (short session, usually to go over problems from the text), a workshop session (longer sessions for group learning), or a lab session. It is not uncommon for some TAs to be required to take a teaching class at the same time.

Most schools have TAs, but some schools use more graduate students, and fewer undergraduates than others. Schools using undergraduates usually let them start TAing during sophomore year - because the selection process is usually an end of year thing, and because most classes are only offered during one semester of each year.

As for compensation...at my school it was a flat rate for the semester - usually $500-$800. Some schools may pay more. Some may pay less.

I'm not really interested in the pay, what other advantages does TAing offer?

Very few. A small resume buff. Honestly, I'm not sure why people do it...

If you're TAing classes that will be on your MCAT, that can help solidify your knowledge and keep it fresh in your mind. Maybe if you're considering teaching for something else later on down the road, it's good experience. And honestly, I think it's rather fun. Tutoring individual students is also something to look into, and it pretty much offers the same benefits.

Very few. A small resume buff. Honestly, I'm not sure why people do it...

I did it because I got paid 14 an hour to sit on my butt and do nothing but homework. I also got job offers due to who I was working under and had fun with it. My gig was kind of rare though. I graded papers once in a while, helped go over topics, etc. I got it because I was the best person in the class at one time and got along with the teacher. It was usability engineering, so the class wasn't that large.

Most TAs do it because they enjoy teaching, and that was certainly why I decided to TA for so long. Also, I can honestly say that I learned course material better by teaching it than I ever did while actually taking a class, so that is an added bonus.

If you need more incentive than that - working as a TA can be an excellent way to build a close relationship with faculty members and that relationship really helped me when it came time to ask for letters of recommendation. However, if you don't enjoy teaching I would encourage you not to TA just for the other perks. Students can tell when their TAs hate what they are doing, and you can find other ways to land great LORs and make money.

You get to meet cute froshies that are also taking the class and tutor them... ;)

Haha ok, seriously though, building relationships with faculty is a big thing. Additionally, you may be able to TA for credit, which basically means a grade booster for your GPA =p (I think this depends on your school's system, but here, TA-ing is actually a departamental class called "______ Teaching and Instruction" with the blank being one of BCPM)

What is the best way to get a TA job if the school does not have a formal position for PAs?

TAing is a lot of fun. I'm at a small school, so just by knowing the Cell Bio prof he gave me a TA job for the lab. All I do is basically help the students with their labs. I also set up the labs in the morning and get out all of the reagents and supplies, and make up a bunch of stock solutions if we need them. It's fun because you get to know your professors better and you look cool to all those younger ***** students who are getting Cs in Cell Bio. It's great.

i was a TA for gen chem labs I, II and a nursing lab. Just prove yourself in the lab (get good grades) and then speak to the lab coordinator. They give you a quick run down of everything and you're on your own after that.