T-minus 8 months... what do I need to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VaultArmitage

import pandas as pd
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

First off I apologize for what is going to be a long post. I’m planning on applying to an MD/PhD program next cycle with the goal of being complete by June 2021. With my time starting to run out to add new activities and bolster my application I wanted to get advice on what I need to be focused on in the coming months to maximize my chances of an MD/PhD acceptance. I’m a current junior planning to graduate in April 2022.

Stats:
Major: Bioinformatics
Minor: Computer Science
cGPA: 3.98
sGPA: 3.94
MCAT: haven’t taken yet obviously, but I am studying for it now and plan on taking it mid May 2021
Research: I started spring of my freshmen year. 2000hrs total to date with another 400 hrs anticipated before applying in June. Full time research over summer 2021 anticipated. My research is split between two labs one focusing on bioinformatics (tool development, machine learning for biomedical applications, etc) and the other is a traditional wet lab focusing on heart development. I’ve had one poster presentation at a national conference, and I’m currently working on a first author paper to be sent out for review in January (fingers crossed!!), I’m also helping write a paper in which I’ll be a mid-author that should be sent out around the same time. My research interests are in computational biology and the usage of big data to facilitate diagnosis and patient care. Specifically I hope to get involved in cancer research (my summer 2021 will be focused on cancer research)

ECs:
- certified fluent in Spanish with an “Advanced” rating by the ACTFL
- 2 years of volunteering on an acrobatic dunk team that travels each week to elementary schools to put on a dunk show and talk about the importance of eating right, exercising and not bullying.
- 2 years NCAA D1 College mascot, voted best in the nation last year
- 1 year in presidency of Bioinformatics Research Group, I was a project leader for research involving SMILES drugs codes and predicting liver damage
- 6 months in presidency of the Peer Consulting Program, I wrote the program that uses natural language processing to match consultants to underclassman
- 6 months in Student Athlete Advisory Committee, helped plan outreach events for the student athletes to participate in volunteer events in the community
- 2 year full time mission with my church between high school and college. I went to southeast Idaho and worked with Spanish-speaking immigrants.
- ~10ish hours volunteering at a psychiatricy clinic. No thats not a typo.... it was cut short due to Covid.

My concerns: obviously clinical volunteering... I have sent countless emails, called countless people and have gotten absolutely nothing. Just last week our state moved back to “no gatherings outside your household” so I’m not sure how easy it will be to get something in the coming months. I’m going to really really try to get something for this winter semester but I’m worried I won’t be able to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I also have no physician shadowing.

What do I need to focus on? To me I immediately think getting clinical volunteering but what else? Am I missing something obvious? Should I just grind on MCAT studying? Join another lab?

Thank you! This forum has been an incredible resource in the past and I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

- VaultArmitage

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is excellent and your research sounds solid. In a normal year I would say your nonexistent clinical experience would be a tough sell, but lots of people on here will tell you about their friend with a 528 MCAT who got in without anything clinical. All I can say is that I lacked clinical experience when I applied and I was told by schools that it hurt me. With covid I really have no idea how that will be evaluated.

Are you currently working in two labs? If so, kudos to your effort but I'm not sure if that's the most prudent way to build the skills and resume that will make you competitive and successful in an MD/PhD program. Getting published as an undergrad is tough as it is without splitting your time between two very different projects. Maybe some people can do it but I would say that, for most students, working in two labs at once is a bad idea.

Given the uncertainty of the upcoming cycle, I wouldn't shy away from a gap year or two. Gap years never hurt and are often beneficial.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice! I am working in two labs mostly because I didn’t have any wet lab experience and wanted to get those skills. However the majority of my time is in the dry lab because that’s where my interest lie. It’s probably a 75/25 split.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have good people skills and interview well you can get by with minimal clinical experience. Awkwardness/lack of humility/other red flags for a career in medicine + the low clinical experience may sink you for top schools even with 528/4.0/Nature papers/whatever.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to know, I’ll keep trying to get clinical experience but if all else fails really prep for interviews

I agree that programs will be more tolerant than in the past, but it isn't ideal.
I know that several institutions are putting on virtual shadowing programs via their telehealth consults, I'd look around and see if you can get into one or even a few. The last one I saw is specifically for URMs, but there are others if this doesn't work.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
omg the mascot thing is pretty frickin awesome tho !!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I wanted to give a quick update! I have been contacting physicians though mutual contacts and doing "virtual shadowing/interviewing." I'll usually talk to them over email a bit then zoom with them for an hour and have them walk me through their day, their research, their specialty etc. It's not preferred obviously but it's at least something to show I'm trying. I've done probably about 15 hours so far of talking to people. Of course, any more advice is greatly appreciated!