Systemic Diseases relating to dental problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across this article http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/86/99207.htm
about the relationship between systemic diseases and dental diseases.
With the saliva research going on, it is quite feasible that dentists will be the first one to spot any systemic problems as well as dental diseases.
I am wondering how has/will that change what we practice in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a big debate going on right now about designating destists as oral physicians. However, most dentists are against it as they will be absorbed into managed care. Really good article in last months JADA.

AMMD said:
There is a big debate going on right now about designating destists as oral physicians. However, most dentists are against it as they will be absorbed into managed care. Really good article in last months JADA.

And lawsuits.....

AMMD said:
Really good article in last months JADA.

I read it too. It was a good debate...I found myself totally convinced on both sides!!!

I think the further understanding of oral manifestations of systemic disease will necessitate dentists obtaining a more comprehensive understanding of the body as a whole... Sadly, I think that a lot of dental students (and dentists) could care less about medicine and the body as a whole and are focused solely on the oral cavity. I think this is very dangerous. As the baby boomer generation continues to age, our patients are going to be very medically complicated and will make our treatment of them equally complicated.
Researchers at NIH have been working on a "chip" that can be implanted into the oral mucosa and will serve as a mini medical lab...it will be able to measure numerous biochemical markers from the saliva even at the nano or pico level that many of these exist in the saliva. Dentists will certainly be screening for systemic disease and my take on a primary role in both the diagnosis and treatment of these diseases. Or at the very least an expanded role in cooperation with the patient's physician.