syncope workup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CueDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you include a head ct in a syncope workup if there is no head trauma resulting from the episode? if so, do you do it on everyone or only a certain age group, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Do any of you include a head ct in a syncope workup if there is no head trauma resulting from the episode? if so, do you do it on everyone or only a certain age group, etc.?

Hell no, waste of money. Only reason its done at all is defensive medicine.

Hell no, waste of money. Only reason its done at all is defensive medicine.
I agree. It's unlikely that an ischemic event would cause syncope. A bleed can (i.e., SAH), but patients almost always complain of headaches. If the patient syncoped and complains of a headache, then yes, I scan. Otherwise, I don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
if after they passed out and had a pretty nasty head injury, or if their hx is a little fishy, or if anything in the hx suggests SAH ( usually not ) or if it sounds like a new onset seizure then yes, i've seen these patients get scanned.

I never CT for isolsated syncope with return to normal mental status. If there was head trauma, persisting AMS, if I can't do a neuro exam, or if the syncope was really a seizure then I'll do the CT. In order to loose consciousness from a CNS etiology one must loose function of both cerebral hemispheres or the entire reticular activating system. In both cases that ptient will not return to a normal mental status.

But as I type the above dogma I find myself wondering why I feel compelled to do a complete neuro exam on each syncope patient. Is it just chart dressing?

No. CT head is not indicated in a pure syncope work up.

A neuor exam is important. Because if it is focal, you need to scan them.

For a good, overall article on syncope:

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic876.htm