sydney vs melbourne

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banana k

registered user of WHAT?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i was pretty bent on going to sydney after i got in, but i just found out that melbourne has taken me as well... sort of unexpectedly... anyone have any advice, discerning insight, don't-go-here hell stories? i'm leaning sydney cos it's 4 years as opposed to 4.5 at melbourne, but i also don't know either city or uni all THAT well. what are they like? i know sydney's pbl... is melbourne more traditional? and sydney plops you right into clinical stuff in week one... does melbourne do the same? any post grads in melbourne getting irritated with all the school leavers during the dual-entry business? any insight as to the student body in sydney, and how the international students fit in? how does living expense compare? how bout research opportunities at either place? how big are classes at both places? MAYBE I'LL ASK EVEN MORE QUESTIONS? cheers guys... advice and stories much appreciated!

k

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I know from ppl I know (and from personal experience with Sydney):

- Melbourne is an amazing city, virtually all love it. It's also rated as the #1 city in the world in the Economist's 'Hardship Index' ratings. It's much smaller than Sydney, and weather a bit milder. Sydney is very nice, lots to see and do, but sprawling (more anonymity, less personal). Aussies talk a lot about Sydney life as "fast", but it's still slow compared to east or west coast US.

- ppl I know here (Brisbane) seem to respect Melbourne more as a school -- better rep, harder to get in, smaller classes, etc.

- Melbourne does have dual entry, but the first two years of undergrad entry are separate, merging with the grads by 3rd year. None from Melbourne at last year's convention seemed to think this was any sort of problem (interesting to note that most at convention were Asians).

- both are PBL, not sure about when exactly all the clinical stuff begins, but most the schools in Oz expose students very early.

- I have a personal issue with the administration at Sydney. They don't seem to respect the applicants or listen to the complaints of their students. Of course take this as anecdote (and hearsay of anecdote ;)

- Time = money, but when you consider the timeline for the Match, it's likely you'd be in the same cohort with either school (somethin to think about).

-pitman

banana k said:
so i was pretty bent on going to sydney after i got in, but i just found out that melbourne has taken me as well... sort of unexpectedly... anyone have any advice, discerning insight, don't-go-here hell stories? i'm leaning sydney cos it's 4 years as opposed to 4.5 at melbourne, but i also don't know either city or uni all THAT well. what are they like? i know sydney's pbl... is melbourne more traditional? and sydney plops you right into clinical stuff in week one... does melbourne do the same? any post grads in melbourne getting irritated with all the school leavers during the dual-entry business? any insight as to the student body in sydney, and how the international students fit in? how does living expense compare? how bout research opportunities at either place? how big are classes at both places? MAYBE I'LL ASK EVEN MORE QUESTIONS? cheers guys... advice and stories much appreciated!

k

pitman said:
This is what I know from ppl I know (and from personal experience with Sydney):
Aussies talk a lot about Sydney life as "fast", but it's still slow compared to east or west coast US.
I agree.

- I have a personal issue with the administration at Sydney. They don't seem to respect the applicants or listen to the complaints of their students. Of course take this as anecdote (and hearsay of anecdote ;)

I hate to bash my own institution but I would be lying if I said this wasn't true... yes... Sydney has some problems with administration.
I haven't been to Melbourne or talked to anyone from Melbourne but the Sydney curriculum hasn't been completely smoothed out yet.

Not a big problem if you're good at learning on your own.