Sydney Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undecided3yr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US medical student looking at doing an elective rotation at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital sometime in early 2007.

I was wondering if anyone had some advice on where to find some temporary housing for about 1 month near the hospital/campus.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

undecided3yr said:
I am a US medical student looking at doing an elective rotation at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital sometime in early 2007.

I was wondering if anyone had some advice on where to find some temporary housing for about 1 month near the hospital/campus.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :D

Which month are you staying for?

There are many students away for elective during December to Feb and I am certain I may be able to hook you up with someone's apartment to stay in while they are away (maybe even myself!).

That would be great, except that Dec-Jan is residency interview season here. :(

I am thinking about sometime in late March to early April 2007.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice... I would be way to preoccupied surfing though... bad idea for me :(

undecided3yr said:
That would be great, except that Dec-Jan is residency interview season here. :(

I am thinking about sometime in late March to early April 2007.

This will still be OK. Many people do that period rural or overseas. What you should probably do is contact the person you are setting this up with (probably Duriye Varol) around October/November (many people start looking into ways to rent their apt around this time). She can email the students are RPA hospital around that time. Also, PM me around Oct/Nov as well. I will be in the US interviewing as well but I may be able to help with people I know. Have fun.

Thanks so much!

As far as the RPA, which fields are they known to be really good in? I want to have a good experience, but maybe not spend 12 hr shifts there and have some time to see Sydney.

Thanks again :D

undecided3yr said:
Thanks so much!

As far as the RPA, which fields are they known to be really good in? I want to have a good experience, but maybe not spend 12 hr shifts there and have some time to see Sydney.

Thanks again :D

12 hr shift ??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Visiting students don't really get the hurt put on them. This is a different world my friend. There is not much incentive for them to bust your balls when all you need is a sheet with a tickbox signed.

So good specialties...

Ob/gyn rocked but there are so many interns/students/residents roaming around, it is hard to get to do a whole lot.

Neurosurgery: The whole crew of them are absolutely great! You will only have 2-3 3rd year roaming around. They are seriously great teachers.

Vascular surgery was interesting but my favorite fellow is going to get a attending position at another hospital so don't know how it will be now. I think just the old boys are left but they are also cool. Not too exciting though.

Geriatrics is very laid back. Start around 9, not much to do throughout the day.

Transplant surgery (kidney/liver) is a cool team but will probably take more time than you want.

Emergency is good because you could schedule your shifts and the rest of the time you are off. Plus, your shifts will be more like 6-8 hr shifts (about 12 shifts) and no overnights. However, there are tons of residents and you won't get to do too much. Good if you are just looking to get around Sydney though.

Renal team is good and full on but I am not really into the renal thing so I found it boring. Hours won't be short.

Cardiology is full on and you may be in for long hours.

Neurology- You can pretty much show up or not and they will never notice because there are so many attending always somewhere different. This is probably the best for you because you can just show your face on the rare occasion that the attending will be around and they will sign your sheet at the end of the 4 weeks. Dr. Davies is perfect for this too. He is cool AND will never notice whether you are around or not.

Dermatology was great but you will have to be there for clinics. However, clinics never go past 4:30 or 5 around this part of the world.

Anesthesiology- Great opportunity to do tons of intubations and lines but the hours will be a turnoff for you compared to some things like neuro or emergency.

Colorectal surgery or upper GI surgery- you will get to scrub in for absolutely everything but the hours (like any surgery specialty) will be long-ish.

I could go on and on but I won't anymore. Let me know if you have particular ones you are deciding between and I can let you know some more specifics.

I was told that EM is the only thing filled out so far; I assume that EM is emergency.

I not sure exactly what I want to do, Im looking for a good general knowledge rotation. It will be my last one before graduation.

Im thinking about Intensive Care or maybe Cardiology. :cool:

undecided3yr said:
I was told that EM is the only thing filled out so far; I assume that EM is emergency.

I not sure exactly what I want to do, Im looking for a good general knowledge rotation. It will be my last one before graduation.

Im thinking about Intensive Care or maybe Cardiology. :cool:

You may not have a whole lot to do in ICU because they have interns around all the time. Cardiology is full-on but the hours may not be 3pm finishes if you know what I mean. But certainly don't think any of these electives will keep you at the hospital past 5:30 or 6. Remember, this is a different world and you are a visiting student. Not too much expected. Also geriatrics is a cool general area. I just don't know if that is your thing.

By the way, if you have anymore questions until the 27th of this month about RPA hospital, email me because I am on an Indian reservation with +/- internet connection to studentdoc due to government computer restrictions (but I can check my email for some reason).

Good luck with your decision. You will have a great time either way.

I think now that Ill aply for Derm and oncology as a second choice. You guys have the best reputation in the world as far as derm goes. What is the onc rotation like? Thanks for all of your help.

As it gets closer, I'll have to get some more housing advice.

undecided3yr said:
I think now that Ill aply for Derm and oncology as a second choice. You guys have the best reputation in the world as far as derm goes. What is the onc rotation like? Thanks for all of your help.

As it gets closer, I'll have to get some more housing advice.

Both Oncology and Derm should be sweet. Derm can either be with the Melanoma unit or the Dermatology team. If you want all the cancer stuff, ask specifically for the melanoma unit. Both are good though. Just depends on what you are looking for.