Sydney Folk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cancerchan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all who are accepted and going to Syd - Post here! Let's keep this thread going as a place where we can talk about our plans, what we're up to before we go, where we plan on staying in Syd, our choice of clinical schools, where we're from, our visa statuses. I guarantee that half the people on these boards will meet up at some point or another in Sydney. The person that was interviewed before me at my USYD interview was another SDN poster.

Anyone else submit their deposit yet to Sydney? I have, chose Central as my 1st choice for schools and Western as my second. Got a buddy who just graduated from Sydney who has a place in Randwick I am hoping to sublet. My relatives live in Lane Cove where I might also stay until I get settled in. Semester starts Feb 13th (well orientation does, but you're not allowed to miss it from what I understand?) so I leave Canada Jan 6th, have a stopover in Thailand where I hope to make it to Laos and float back down the Mekong by the 28th, fly to Singapore for a week and then off to Oz! I'm praying my visa stuff gets settled before then, so that's what I'm working on putting together now. I haven't got my confirmation package so I can't apply for the student visa just yet, but I am putting together appointments for health checks, getting my documents certified, etc.

Anyone else backpacking before they hit Sydney?

Members don't see this ad.

hey cancerchan!
i am heading sydney as well. yep deposited the money and everything. they replied in 4 days after i sent the entire package of deposit, clinical school choice and acceptance letter. it was so fast! just got my eCOE so i am going to apply for a visa. for clinicals i chose Central and secondary is Western. well not so sure about housing though. thats the next thing i need to figure out. anyways I am heading to london from US soon and maybe paris and spain. then to OZ via singapore.
well tonite i am going to the AMerican red cross for the first aid certificate class. it is much cheaper to do here than in Oz.

4 days hey??? That makes me a little concerned now, haahaha. I sent mine at least a couple of weeks ago.

So they need a first aid certificate hey? Thank god I got mine already. Good to know, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
they got my acceptance package last week tuesday and today i got my eCOE. Thats faster than i thought..anyways says we need a bunch of immunizations too...i guess its a lil late for hep B.

So we have to get physical exam before entering U. of Syd? It doesn't say anything about it in the acceptance form...

It does say something in the infectous diseases policy email though about everyone needing to take precautions to know his or her own physical state. But enough about that, talk about what you're doing leading up to leaving, geez.

Originally posted by bgeez
well tonite i am going to the AMerican red cross for the first aid certificate class. it is much cheaper to do here than in Oz.

Are you in the US? How much more expensive is it to take it in Australia?

Also, are you sure the red cross first aid course is sufficient? It's 9.5 hours, but I thought the schools wanted something equivalent to Aussie certification which is something like 16 or 18 hours (I think).

-pitman

pitman, i emailed Victoria Haigh to clarify this first aid certificate class. She said I could get certified here in US or Aus. wherever convenient. the cost was US$30. whereas in Oz, its Aus$140.
well this class was 2.5 hrs. i remember taking the first aid class in college few years back which was about 5 or six hours, cant remember but it wasnt entire day long. what made that class long was the cpr course.

Originally posted by bgeez
She said I could get certified here in US or Aus. wherever convenient.
That doesn't mean you can do just any course in the US or Aus. There are several courses available from the Red Cross, ranging from a couple of hours to two or more days. You should probably check whether your specific intended course is acceptable.

Also, you're comparing apples with oranges when you mention the price difference, because 140 AUD will get you a two-day Red Cross course. The shorter courses are less expensive.

Hey everyone, I just received last night my acceptance letter from U Syd, and am almost positive I will be going. I am very excited. I have a few questions, maybe some of you could help.

1) On something I received from them a while ago, it said that I just needed to send a deposit of $A 2076 before Dec.1. While what I received last night was requesting the entire amount of $A 17,952. Hopefully just the deposit will still work? How much is the deposit in American $$?

2)I have an EMT license/cpr certification. Will they accept this for the basic first aid requirement? (I'm e-mailing these questions to Victoria as well, just want to hear everyone's opinion.)

3)Why did you choose the clinical schools that you did? Do all of the med students live in the same general campus vicinity and then go to their respective clinical schools? Or do they live by each individual clinical school?

4)Do I have to wait until after I receive my eCOE to apply for the Stafford loan program? The sooner I can get going on that the better.

5)How much of the clinicals in years 3 and 4 can be done in the United States? What are the hospitals that U Syd is affiliated with?
Thanks for any help you can give me with these questions, and I look forward to starting school with all of you soon.

Originally posted by miler
On something I received from them a while ago, it said that I just needed to send a deposit of $A 2076 before Dec.1. ... How much is the deposit in American $$?

The AUD has been rising a lot against the USD recently. That deposit is now equivalent to about 1500 USD.

Can someone explain to me why there is a discrepency between deposit amount of first semester in full.. or the 2076AUD?

All of my paperwork indicates that I should pay in full.

PS. I am a US citizen applying via fafsa..

Thanks

miler, congrats. i paid in full. i never got anything that mentioned AUD$2076.
does anyone know where the GMP students live in Sydney? If one lives in self catering dorms, how far are the grocery stores??
thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
Looking forward to meeting you all in feb! Just a few questions I need answers to:

1. Can I take my vaccinations in Australia when school starts or must I be vaccinated against all the required diseases before the start of term?

2. Which schools are you all choosing and why?

3. First aid course. I don't have a certificate in First Aid. Can I do it in school when term starts?

4. Where's everyone staying? Is living is a hostel better or would it be better to live outside of campus?

5. whens everyone going down to sydney?

Originally posted by rachellim
4. Where's everyone staying? Is living is a hostel better or would it be better to live outside of campus?

If u share with someone off campus it will definitely be cheaper than living in a college. But the thing is you may not want to just go and live with strangers...so maybe if you meet some people while in syd you can then decide to move in with them the following year.

How long before classes start is everyone thinking about getting to U of Syd? I am debating between one and three weeks.

In the years past the scholarships were awarded after the semester had actually started. I think they want you to commit to actually going to the school before they give you any fee reduction. I didn't realize only 8 were being awarded though, something was on the website of there being up to 20% of people getting awarded scholarships. It's based pretty much entirely on MCAT from what I hear, and the cutoff in less competitive years was 35, so in a year like ours I wonder how tough it will be to get one.

Originally posted by doctor Moo
Just a week left to decide about USyd... I'm curious, has anyone been awarded a scholarship yet? There are supposed to be 8 given during the year.

Originally posted by cancerchan
...It's based pretty much entirely on MCAT from what I hear, and the cutoff in less competitive years was 35, so in a year like ours I wonder how tough it will be to get one.

I heard (on this forum by a USyd student) that last year's cutoff was 32. You heard 35?

It seemed odd to me that they don't tell those with top offers that they'd be contenders, since this way the scholarship doesn't serve much as a marketing/recruiting tool.

-pitman

As long as I can get my financial aid worked out, I will be attending the summer anatomy course, which would mean being in Aus by the Jan 5-7 or so. Anyone else considering? I think it would be a good way to get acquainted to their system and school, and it sounds like a good course anyway. My housing starts on the 1st of Jan. as well, so I figure I should use it.

One more question, for Americans applying through fafsa for USyd, we should be eligible for the $38,500 US max that is allowed medical students, correct? I'm having a little trouble getting through to the financial aid to finalize everything.
Thanks

Miler,

I had same question about Stafford loan. I think 38500 stafford loan only applies to U.S. medical schools. I asked Justine O'Reilly and she said she wil check on it and get back to me. Seems like she's really busy these days, so I think it will take time until I get my reply. If you find out anything else let me know.

I really don't see why that would just apply to US med schools, but what are you going to do if you can't get the max amount? 18500 doesn't even cover tuition.

Maybe the stafford only recognizes foreign programs as undergrad and graduate and lumps foreign medical into graduate. Maybe they do this to cap how much money they want going out of country? :confused: Who knows, but interested to hear what they say.

Blackjack, as for only getting the $18500, there are various private medloans you can get that although not as low in interest as the stafford, are still reasonable given you'll have defer and forebearance options. With these you can get $20k on your signature or if you have a co-signer upto $45k a year. If with this and the $18500 you can't cover the cost of education, yikes :eek: . (www.teri.org , www.iefc.org, www.aamc.org/students/medloans/students/stafford.htm , sallie mae... )

Good Luck

gary

Blackjack 16,
After talking with Justine O'Reilly, I think it is a case of she has never had anyone ask for more than the $18,500, and therefore has never seen proof that med students are offered more from fafsa than normal graduate students.
If you could, e-mail her this link:
http://www.aamc.org/students/medloans/students/stafford.htm

The more people we get sending her to this website, which states that med students are allowed $38500, the better off we'll be (hopefully)

Thanks, and when are you getting to Sydney?

have u guys figured out your housing yet? what are the dorms like, in terms of relative age of students, academic majors,? if anyone knows please let me know.

It looks like I will be living in a studio apartment in the Sydney University Village. They told me there is a good mix of undergrad and grad students, and looks fairly new. The apartments are fully furnished as well.

Anyone actually looking for a place off campus or plan on doing so when they arrive?

Hi everyone. I was rejected from USyd a couple of weeks ago, and just received an offer via email today. I have it in my head that I'm not going and have made other life plans--this throws a bit of a curve. I suppose my main concern is being able to practice in the US after graduation. I'm primarily interested in peds (specifically peds neuro or developmental peds). I'm a US citizen. Any thoughts? Also, for those of you who received an acceptance package and know details, when would I have to be in OZ? I have a lot of thinking to do

Thanks,

Tina

Tina,
From everything I have read, USyd is a very respected school, worldwide. As long as we study hard for and do well on the USMLE I and II, we won't have any trouble getting residency options, whatever you decide to go into. I, for one, want as many US citizens to come to USyd with me as possible! I will be getting there around the first week of January, but that is only because I am taking a six week anatomy course there. If you are going to start in Feb, from what I've heard they suggest you get there around two weeks ahead of time, so the first week in Febuary should work. You are from Chicago? I am only a couple of hours away in Grand Rapids, MI. Hope some of this helps.

I don't think many of the American Aus.-school grads would agree that any res is up for grabs. For each specialty, expect to have do a bit better on the USMLE than AMG counterparts.

-pitman

I know this question came up in tis tread before, but I had question about first aid class. Do we just need basic first aid class for University of Sydney? I was looking at American Red Cross web site and there were basic first aid class, adult first aid&cpr, adult first aid/cpr/AED and few other selections. I don't know which class to take...

Miler, I signed for International House. I think I will be in Sydney in Feb. I don't think I will be taking anatomy class. Anyone else taking that class?

I work in a peds neuro office at a hospital in Chicago, and the secretary here worked for a long time for the residency coordinator at an internal med program at another Chicago hospital (this program was not one of the more popular 1st choices for residency). She told me that when they sorted the apps, they were told to sort out anyone w/a score below a 75; then anyone that was a US citizen and attended a foreign med school who scored below an 87. Being a US citizen that did not attend a US med school was actually a worse situation than an international applicant. I expect to have to score in the 90's to be considered for a residency back in the states.

Any thoughts?

Tina

Pitman,
I didn't mean that I think any residency is up for grabs, saying that would be both arrogant and ignorant. I simply meant that I believe it is entirely possible to attend a foreign med school and still attain a desirable residency. I have talked to quite a few people who have done just that, they obviously had to work extremely hard and obtain very good scores though. Sorry about any misunderstanding there.

Blackjack16,
I think the main thing is they want you to be cpr certified, although the more the class covers, the better. I would say call Lily in the international office, (her # is on the acceptance letter) and ask her. She is they one who told me my EMT cert. would work so she might have an idea for you.

Pitman,
I didn't mean that I think any residency is up for grabs, saying that would be both arrogant and ignorant. I simply meant that I believe it is entirely possible to attend a foreign med school and still attain a desirable residency... Sorry about any misunderstanding there.

Otay. Just didn't want anyone ignant thinking it's cake :)

-pitman

Hey all,

Blackjack and miler--you 2 were talking about the loan situation, and how much we can get. Couple of questions: Justine O'Reilly--is she the financial aid person at U Syd? I filled out my fafsa when I applied, but don't know what to do now. In the past the financial aid office at my university always did the rest. I received an email, but not my acceptance package yet (so sorry if this is all covered in the acceptance package). Also--did anyone pay their semester tuition via credit card? I have to pay by the 22nd and my loans won't be through by then, I'm sure. Just trying to figure out how to secure my spot.

It was so much easier when I could just walk over to the financial aid office in college! Once I get through this, I have to start thinking about where to live!

Thanks in advance,

Tina

Originally posted by Jatpot
Hey all,

Blackjack and miler--you 2 were talking about the loan situation, and how much we can get. Couple of questions: Justine O'Reilly--is she the financial aid person at U Syd? I filled out my fafsa when I applied, but don't know what to do now. In the past the financial aid office at my university always did the rest. I received an email, but not my acceptance package yet (so sorry if this is all covered in the acceptance package). Also--did anyone pay their semester tuition via credit card? I have to pay by the 22nd and my loans won't be through by then, I'm sure. Just trying to figure out how to secure my spot.

It was so much easier when I could just walk over to the financial aid office in college! Once I get through this, I have to start thinking about where to live!

Thanks in advance,

Tina

Just a suggestion if you have any credit cards that let you sign up for air miles points or points towards a car or something like that this would be a perfect way to rack up the points (using ur credit card for paying off tutition). My uni accepts credit card tuition...and I believe you only haev to pay for one semester in advance....

Tuition for University is due 22nd? I know 2076 Australian dollor deposit was due Dec 1, but I have no idea when my full tuitoin is due... Anyone has idea? Justine O'Reilly is financial advisor at Unversity of Sydney. Once you get your SAR, you have to send that along with your school certification form to University of Sydney.

Miler,

I got email from Justine O'Reilly saying that 30000 extende limit on stafford does not apply to non-U.S. med school. She told me to check with people from Bank of America and I got same answer. Did you find any other information?

Blackjack16,
I just got an e-mail from her saying that she has made contact with medloans through collegeserve and is waiting for an answer.
Not sure why there is a difference. That really sucks if we can't get the extra cash. What are you going to do?
Is it true that after we get our ECOE and student visa, become a permanent resident, then for 2005 we should be able to get the domestic student rate of 6000? Then 18500 would work just fine.

oh! you can become a permanent resident in a year? as i read in ths forum, it isnt so easy...........hmm

I wouldn't say it is easy at all, they just say that you should try and hopefully you might have a chance.

Is it true that after we get our ECOE and student visa, become a permanent resident, then for 2005 we should be able to get the domestic student rate of 6000? Then 18500 would work just fine.

No. If you become a PR, then Aus. law is that you'd have to re-apply to the school as a domestic student. For some schools, this may be a safe bet (e.g, search for redshifteffect's comment about this concerning Tasmania), but it's a risky gamble for any of the 4-yr grad programs.

-pitman

Hi all,

Anyone looking into SUV for housing at USyd? I'm thinking about it, and emailed them a few questions, but haven't heard back yet. For those of you who have housing there--what is the deal with arriving in Feb. as an international student? Do we still have to pay for Jan.? I have looked at the website, and found answers to most questions, but not that one. Also, if my friends and/or boyfriend come to visit for 1-2 weeks...can they stay? It just says that overnight guests cannot stay for an "extended time or live with the resident." Any clues as to what makes an extended guest is appreciated.

Otherwise, I may just book there for temporary accomodation for a few weeks until I find an apartment.

Thanks in advance for the help! :p

Tina

From my experience so far with the SUV, they operate like any apartment, with a year long lease that you would have to pay for, but they might allow you to sublet during the summer term. I would call them and ask to talk to Megan Lyons, she has been very helpful with everything so far. As far as guests staying with you, they seem to advertise themselves as a fairly liberal establishment, and I'm sure if you explained your circumstances to them they wouldn't have a problem. I have a lot of friends and family who will probably be visiting, and I know at least some of them will be staying with me.

Jatpot,
Does SUV still have openings that you can get into?

Miler--

Yeah, they do. I decided to apply yesterday afternoon and by this morning they had offered me a room! They only have studios left, but that was what I wanted anyway. So, I'm living there for the year; probably the best thing since I don't know anyone!

Tina

Hey, sounds good, I'm in a studio there too. Do you know when you will be getting there? I'm just waiting on my visa.

Miler--

I will be getting there in early Feb. How about you? I haven't purchased a ticket yet, as I'm trying to calculate when my visa will be ready. I just expressed my tuition check to Usyd today, so hopefully my eCOE will be here next week and then I can send in my visa application. Then, after they send me my med forms I can send those in and relax! Are you american? How long approx. has it taken for your visa stuff? I know it is different for Canadians.

See you there.

Tina

Yes, I'm American, and just got my eCOE two days ago, so I am just submitting the visa forms today. Hopefully it doesn't take long to get it all taken care of, I am ready to go as soon as the holidays are done.