• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

Sydney Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EuroPhysician

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering applying to Sydney U Grad Entry program in Dentistry. I wanted to know if there are any Canadians attending this program. Can Sydney grads work in Canada without taking any bridging courses? I had an idea that I wanted to work parts of the year in Vancouver and other parts in Australia. Or maybe work a few years in Australia then in Canada. I am wondering if this is possible since both are Commonwealth countries.

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to know if there are any Canadians attending this program.

Yes, USyd takes 13 internationals every year. (usually 10-11 Canadians, 1-2 Americans, and every other year we get someone from the UK).

The rest are locals for a total class size of approx: 70-80 per year

Can Sydney grads work in Canada without taking any bridging courses?

At the moment, No. However, USyd is currently applying for US and Canadian accreditation and it should be accredited by 2011 (or so they tell us). So as long as you graduate after this date.. theoretically you should be fine.

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

Wish it was that easy for Medicine. Hopefully USyd get's its accreditation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wish it was that easy for Medicine. Hopefully USyd get's its accreditation.

Hopefully so... I heard Melb and Adelaide's dental programs are interested in obtaining CODA accreditation too. We'll see.

Also, I've mentioned this in other threads before.. but Sydney's Vet school has already obtained US and Canadian accreditation. :thumbup:

Does sydney dental school takes in international students from asia countries?

Does sydney dental school takes in international students from asia countries?

Yes, of course.. international students can be from anywhere. However, the majority of the spots for the past few years have been taken up by Canadians (and some Americans).

hello doc,
i saw ur profile in adc discussion group also,i think u r senior n passed ur exams years ago.n i was wondering if u can pass any tips or any usefull info to junior like me, to crack adc clinicals.
i wud b highly obliged.
thanks in advance

hello doc,
i saw ur profile in adc discussion group also,i think u r senior n passed ur exams years ago.n i was wondering if u can pass any tips or any usefull info to junior like me, to crack adc clinicals.
i wud b highly obliged.
thanks in advance

I never wrote the ADC (foreign dental exams) because I graduated from an Australian dental school. So, unfortunately.. I don't have any experience with those exams to share with you. I'm sure there are plenty of people on these forums who have sat the ADC exams who may be able to help you more than I. Good luck

I never wrote the ADC (foreign dental exams) because I graduated from an Australian dental school. So, unfortunately.. I don't have any experience with those exams to share with you. I'm sure there are plenty of people on these forums who have sat the ADC exams who may be able to help you more than I. Good luck
hello
thank you very much...:)

What type of GAMSAT score is good enough to be admitted to Syd Dentistry?

What type of GAMSAT score is good enough to be admitted to Syd Dentistry?

It changes every year depending on the competition (same as any of the med programs). You're best bet is to contact the school and ask them what their cut offs are this year. :thumbup:

What is the average salary for a dentist after they have been practicing for 5 or 10 years in Australia?

What is the average salary for a dentist after they have been practicing for 5 or 10 years in Australia?

Well.. (just like in the US) .. that greatly depends on the individual dentist... doesn't it?

For example:
If you are working at an inner city or rural public clinic in Australia it could be as low as 60-100k/year.

or

If you own 1,2,3 private practices and have hired associates.. you could earn $1mil+/year

... It would be misleading to give you an exact number. I can say that dentist's salaries are (on average) pretty much the same as the United States provided we are comparing similar practices with similar business models to one another. :thumbup:

hello dr. millisevert
i wanted to know if i can work in australia as a dental assistant, i m a dentist from india and i m presently in process of giving adc exams, i have already given theory wud get the resultd soon.....if i pass i wan to come to aus, as dental assistant work der n give my clinical exam side by side is dat possible?if yes how shud i go bout it? and if u cud tell me how much do a dental assistant and a dental surgeon approx earn in aus?
when did u finish dentistry n wer r u presently practicing?

i wanted to know if i can work in australia as a dental assistant, i m a dentist from india.

...is dat possible?if yes how shud i go bout it?

Yes it is possible for you to work as an assistant. There are educational and licensing requirements for dentists and hygienists, but not for assistants. Many of them learn through being trained by their employing dentist.

You could probably pay to have your information listed in the classified section of local newspapers or in the local ADA classifieds where local dentists could see your profile and call you if they are looking to hire an assistant. Good luck. :thumbup:

Yes it is possible for you to work as an assistant. There are educational and licensing requirements for dentists and hygienists, but not for assistants. Many of them learn through being trained by their employing dentist.

You could probably pay to have your information listed in the classified section of local newspapers or in the local ADA classifieds where local dentists could see your profile and call you if they are looking to hire an assistant. Good luck. :thumbup:

hi dr. millisevert
thankyou very much. m still awaiting my theory results, lets c wat happens?
being based in india things sometimes bcome a bit difficult.anyways thnx for your support, i wud certainly bother you in future if i need any advice. thanx once again....

hello dr. millisevert
i wanted to know some undergrad books of dentistry used in australia...
for these subjects:
1)oral surgery
2)pedodontics
3)periodontology
4)radiology
5)oral medicine
6)dental materials
7)endodontics
8)conservative dentistry
please do reply as early as possible....
thankyou very much in advance.....

Hi , Thanks for the info. what is the average salary of a dental assistant? I do understand that it would vary but a rough estimate would be useful. Thank you in advance.:)

Just wondering if anyone received an interview invite for USYD Dental??

Also anyone have any clues as to the GPA and DAT scores considered competitive??