Sydney and Melbourne Admissions Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imthadon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if its possible to get into melbourne or sydney with a poor gpa < 3.0 but with good mcat's (11-11-11)? Does their formula or whatever allow for one to compensate for the other? If so, which university would be more likely to do so? Thanks alot for any input guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about schools in Oz but American schools look at trends in your GPA as well as at the absolute value. I.E. if your low GPA is due to low 1st and 2nd year grades, high 3rd and 4th year grades can balance it out quite a bit. If I were you, I'd seriously consider one more year of undergrad. Take a bunch of tough science courses (I'd go for 18 hours a semester at least) in subjects that relate to medicine plus classes in any science subjects in which you did poorly to show that you have remediated the situation. If you were a biology major you could probably get another degree in chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, etc. in two semesters + summer school. This is all assuming that your grades aren't low across all four years in which case this strategy probably wouldn't work nearly as well.

i dunno dude but when i was applying it looked like most schools in Oz really went after the test scores and not so much the gpa. especially UQ. (flinders and all the rest of them as well, but UQ was the real kicker.) sydney and melbourne were a bit more moderate about that and paid more attention to gpa than the others, but they still seemed a bit test-heavy to me compared to the US. you might as well give it a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sydney's minimum GPA is 3.5. I don't know about Melbourne though.

When i got in it was weighted more heavily towards your 3rd year undergrad subjects, but someone told me it's changed in that all years are of equal weighting now - its just a straight out average.

Sydney's GPA minimum is actually 5.5 on their 7 scale which translates to roughly 2.7 on the 4.0 scale. Mind you, this is only a minimum and if you have achieved it, you must have competitive MCAT scores which has recently been above 30 to go to the interview stage. Once interviewed, the scores from it count entirely towards the admission.

Good luck!

nicko18 said:
Sydney's minimum GPA is 3.5. I don't know about Melbourne though.

When i got in it was weighted more heavily towards your 3rd year undergrad subjects, but someone told me it's changed in that all years are of equal weighting now - its just a straight out average.

The ACER admissions guide will give you the minimums to get an interview. in general, int'l students will have pretty low gpa cutoffs and mcat cutoffs, but those accepted seem to be around 30 mcat, not sure about gpa (tho i don't know anyone with less than ~3.2 at UQ). gpa's will either be calculated progressiely with undergrad year or w/ no scale.

http://www.acer.edu.au/tests/university/gamsat/intro_gmac.html

-pitman

Nora said:
Sydney's GPA minimum is actually 5.5 on their 7 scale which translates to roughly 2.7 on the 4.0 scale. Mind you, this is only a minimum and if you have achieved it, you must have competitive MCAT scores which has recently been above 30 to go to the interview stage. Once interviewed, the scores from it count entirely towards the admission.

Good luck!
of course - 5.5. Wasnt even that long ago and already i'm forgetting the figures :oops:

Thanks alot for your input guys, Im sure i can meet the minimum I guess and hope my MCAT's will pull me through. By the way, does anybody know the interview cutoff formula or whatever they use for sydney and melbourne? I really liked these cities thats why Ive asked specifically but any info is great. Thanks alot guys.