Switching specialities in Civilian deferred

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basscheese

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the HPSP program but currently neurology at a civilain residency (re: "civilian deferred"). Neurology is nice, but my PGY-1 year has taught me the absolute beauty and joy of medicine. I love my PGY-1 year, I want to switch and I want to stay in this hospital. The problem is I have ~no~ idea how to go about doing this. I can't find any information on google about who I can contact or even how easy this is to do. My program I'm sure would make a spot for me, I just need the military to tell me this is ok.

I would seriously love some help on this.

tl;dr how do I find my military POC when I'm in civilian deferred and does anyone have experience switching?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in the HPSP program but currently neurology at a civilain residency (re: "civilian deferred"). Neurology is nice, but my PGY-1 year has taught me the absolute beauty and joy of medicine.

Sweet mother of Jesus.....You must be crazy (kidding). You're doing a categorical neurology residency, and you're doing a IM-internship, and you want to stay in IM? That's what you're saying? Is your civilian IM program willing to take you on as an IM PGY2? Or would you have to re-apply? What military branch are you?

Sweet mother of Jesus.....You must be crazy (kidding). You're doing a categorical neurology residency, and you're doing a IM-internship, and you want to stay in IM? That's what you're saying? Is your civilian IM program willing to take you on as an IM PGY2? Or would you have to re-apply? What military branch are you?
Yea you can see how much of a pickle this is for me. I'm sure I could be happy staying in neurology but after spending 7 months now doing IM, I'm certain that I'm VERY happy doing this. My program has had people switch from neurology to IM before. Its the military allowing this that I'm most worried about. I'm sort of reluctant to say what branch I'm in because there are only so many of us neurology residents in civilian spots. If I need to in order to get some help on how to contact someone then I will disclose it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea you can see how much of a pickle this is for me. I'm sure I could be happy staying in neurology but after spending 7 months now doing IM, I'm certain that I'm VERY happy doing this. My program has had people switch from neurology to IM before. Its the military allowing this that I'm most worried about. I'm sort of reluctant to say what branch I'm in because there are only so many of us neurology residents in civilian spots. If I need to in order to get some help on how to contact someone then I will disclose it.

If your civilian program is willing to make the switch (to take you on as a IM PGY2)......then you'll have to talk to the military specialty leaders in your branch, in both Neurology and IM (the former would have to agree to release you...the latter would have to agree to accept you). All of this will likely depend on how over- or undermanned each specialty is in your branch. If neurology is manned at 150% and IM at only 90%, they'll likely let you switch. If those numbers are opposite, likely no dice. You can ask, doesn't hurt. Find out who those specialty leaders are in your branch. 'Leader' is a Navy term....the HMFIC, you get it.

What about IM do you like? If you like the inpatient aspect, keep in mind there is a neuro-hospitalist or intensivist track (not sure if your branch offers it though)

All GME training must be approved through the GMESB. This Board has already met for the year so you will be out of luck for the coming year. The Specialty Leaders/Consultants will not have the authority to approve a change like this.

The way you will likely have to go about doing this is talking to your consultant/leader and telling them your goal and then discussing leaving after intern year for a GMO tour. After the GMO tour you could return for IM residency, but unlikely to be back at your current hospital.

Your other option would be to finish residency and then apply for IM residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This does highlight another issue with being beholden to the military. Probably not a common issue, but if it happens to be your issue, it is a big one.