Switching residency program within IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kichimu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there. I have a question, hoping to get some information regarding the process of transfer. My wife and i matched this year into PGY1, but unfortunately she matched in Florida and I matched in NY (as we did not apply for a couple match). Now we are wondering what are the options available to us? Can we transfer if any position becomes available in either of the programs? What is the procedure of transfer? And what is the right time for us to approach this subject? Are we supposed to wait a year and than try and transfer for PGY2? What is the role of the NRMP waiver in this? Has anyone ever transferred to a different program after having been matched? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

One could ask: Why did you not couple's match to avoid this problem?

Yes, you can try to transfer if a position opens in the other's program, or at least geographically closer. There is no NRMP issue here -- your match is just for your PGY-1 year (and you need to stay at least 45 days). The easiest time to transfer is at the end of your PGY-1. Positions are purely word of mouth -- you'll need to hunt around. And you'll need to decide whether you're going to tell your PD you are hunting -- in general that's the best option, but that means that your PD will start hunting for a replacement for you, and if they find your replacement before you find a new spot, that can be a tricky situation.

Reactions: 1 users
One could ask: Why did you not couple's match to avoid this problem?

Yes, you can try to transfer if a position opens in the other's program, or at least geographically closer. There is no NRMP issue here -- your match is just for your PGY-1 year (and you need to stay at least 45 days). The easiest time to transfer is at the end of your PGY-1. Positions are purely word of mouth -- you'll need to hunt around. And you'll need to decide whether you're going to tell your PD you are hunting -- in general that's the best option, but that means that your PD will start hunting for a replacement for you, and if they find your replacement before you find a new spot, that can be a tricky situation.

Thank you for your reply. We did not apply for a couples match but we did tell the programs we both interviewed at that we are a couple. However, they still only ranked 1 of us.

A few follow up questions:
Please could you explain further on what you mean by word of mouth and how I could effectively hunt around for open PGY2 positions? I will be starting my residency in New York so I believe there will be opportunities but I'd like to know how to best go about it and initiate my search?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet is to watch both your own programs and hope someone quits. The moment it happens, the other person transfers.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your reply. We did not apply for a couples match but we did tell the programs we both interviewed at that we are a couple. However, they still only ranked 1 of us.

A few follow up questions:
Please could you explain further on what you mean by word of mouth and how I could effectively hunt around for open PGY2 positions? I will be starting my residency in New York so I believe there will be opportunities but I'd like to know how to best go about it and initiate my search?

Word of mouth means that you have to hear from a person that a program is looking for a position and that it will not be posted publicly. With regard to how to do that, you may have to make some cold calls to programs or your partner may have to.

Large dogs

Reactions: 1 user
Word of mouth means that you have to hear from a person that a program is looking for a position and that it will not be posted publicly. With regard to how to do that, you may have to make some cold calls to programs or your partner may have to.

Large dogs

Thank you for your response. Our ideal scenario is that I move to my spouse's program in Florida 'cause we'd rather live there. Now given my spouse works hard during her PGY1 and the PD likes her, how likely is it for him to accommodate me for a PGY2 transfer next year? Say if no one drops out of that program, is the PD capable of accommodating an extra PGY2 or are his hands tied?

Thank you for your response. Our ideal scenario is that I move to my spouse's program in Florida 'cause we'd rather live there. Now given my spouse works hard during her PGY1 and the PD likes her, how likely is it for him to accommodate me for a PGY2 transfer next year? Say if no one drops out of that program, is the PD capable of accommodating an extra PGY2 or are his hands tied?

Only a PD of a specific program could answer that question completely, and only about his/her specific program.

Large dogs

none unless the program secures more funding

Reactions: 1 user
none unless the program secures more funding

Thanks for replying. When should my spouse communicate with her PD about me? Any other pointers/advice you could give me, I will really appreciate it. We can do with 1 but would hate to spend 3 years apart.

Thanks for replying. When should my spouse communicate with her PD about me? Any other pointers/advice you could give me, I will really appreciate it. We can do with 1 but would hate to spend 3 years apart.

Only if a spot opens up should she talk to the PD, otherwise it's a moot point.