Switching into Rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperflyMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got diagnosed with IgA nephropathy, treatments and complications of which make the constant exposure to the varying pathogens of the Emergency Department less than desireable. I am considering switching specialties (finishing EM-1 now) and radiology has always been of interest to me.

Is it possible to switch into rads as an R1 without going through ERAS?

If possible, how difficult--assuming I have backing of my PD?

How do I find open spots?

Answers to these, and any other questions I've left out would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SF

Members don't see this ad.

> Is it possible to switch into rads as an R1 without going through ERAS?

Some programs add slots and at times people will switch into other specialties (e.g. ortho) or other programs. These positions are rarely advertised as most programs have a stack of CVs from 'worthy' candidates who somehow didn't make it through the match and are hanging out on categorical IM positions and the like.

> If possible, how difficult--assuming I have backing of my PD?

Depends on how competitive of a candidate you were in the first place. You made it into EM, if I remember this years numbers correctly, rads and EM had a similar match rate.

> How do I find open spots?

Contact the programs in the geographic area you are interested in. Fax/mail your CV, try to get through to the PD, explain your situation.
There is also a list on the website of the 'association of program directors in radiology' (APDR) that lists open positions. It is usually quite outdated.
As I said, most post-match positions get redistributed in a quite informal way and are rarely advertised.

And pm me.