Switching Into Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moony

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am curious to know if there are any people here who have switched to a pathology residency from another specialty maybe after starting/completing a residency in that specialty or even practicing for a few years and how their experience has been like, how did they go about it ,what made them do it and how satisfied are they with their decision.The reason I ask is because this is what I am thinking about doing but just cant make up my mind and come to a decision.Any experiences anyone can share may be helpful.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

I don't know their whole story but I've run across a few people - one who started in surgery and went to path, three who were in medicine - one who switched after 1 year a couple others who were boarded and then switched (one in CP/AP and one who did a transfusion med fellowship). Hope this helps.

cheers,

M

Hi Magree,
Thanks for the reply.Switching from surgery into path would be quite a switch I would say!!
Anymore stories anyone, I badly need some inspiration to decide one way or another.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a few residents who switched to path after either completing or not another residency. One guy was a surgeon, he just got sick of the job he was doing and wanted something less intense. Everyone that switched seems to really enjoy path. But, the decision to switch should be that you love path not that you dislike what you are currently doing. One thing to consider is that there are some strange rules about the government money programs recieve for you if you switch residencies. This may make you a less attractive applicant if they know they will not get that government cash. Talk to the residency directors of the places you are interested in attending, they will be the best source of info.

Couldnt get to this sooner.Thanks Great Pumpkin for your reply.Will look into the matter of Government funding for residencies, as far as I knew this is a problem only if you complete a residency and not if you have done just a year or few months in another residency.