switching into IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently done a rotation in Heme-Onc and I have rediscovered that I love this subspecialty. I am considering switiching specialities to IM and then a fellowship in Heme-Onc and I need some advice. I currently am a 4th year med student at a low tier east coast school. I matched into a highly competitive specialty at an above average program. I am going to do my prelim year at my low tier school. I have great board scores on step1 and 2 250 and 256 as well as a 4.0gpa and AOA.

My question is if i decide to switch into IM how do I do that? Will I have to stay at my low tier program for 2 more years after my prelim year or could I find a pgy-2 spot at another program.

As well how competitive would I be say that I did 1-2 research projects and got published in heme-onc for a heme-onc fellowship at a big time cancer hospital.

Lastly would staying at a low tier IM program at my school be a negative when it comes time to apply for fellowships

Members don't see this ad.

One part of your problem is that most top tier places don't have PGY-2 openings so you will likely have to complete your IM residency at your "low ranked" prelim spot. Just my 2 cents