Switching from RO to Rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GANCPA740

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a radiation oncology resident and want to pursue a career change into Radiology and eventually IR. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on what the first steps would be in this process?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have discussed with the OP in private as well as on this board.

I think the grass of rad may seem greener on the other side. There is a reason why they say radonc is one of the best gig if not the best gig in medicine.

Radiology has no downtime. Attending read at break neck pace day in and day out, often don’t even have time to eat lunch. Many IR guys are asked to help with the diagnostic list and read at that speed inbetween cases

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, you need to secure a Radiology residency spot. If your hospital has both you can discuss with your PD and their PD, otherwise it's re-applying through the match (including for R2 positions since you've done intern year). Can also discuss with PD back at your med school (most med schools seem to have at least 1 affiliated rads residency I believe)

OP, you need to secure a Radiology residency spot. If your hospital has both you can discuss with your PD and their PD, otherwise it's re-applying through the match (including for R2 positions since you've done intern year). Can also discuss with PD back at your med school (most med schools seem to have at least 1 affiliated rads residency I believe)
Thanks!

I think reaching out to my medical school Rads PD may be a good first step. Thanks!

Like I said again, think long and hard about the switch. Can you arrange to do a radiology elective at your institution? Don’t stay between 9 to 5. Offer to show up when the rad show up and leave when they leave.

Do the same for IR.

Think long and hard about finishing RO and then do rads. You could be building new niches with dual cert in RO and IR.

Reactions: 1 user
Be careful what you wish for. Don't get your fingers burned. Rads is not better at all. You will be forced to read and read non-stop.