switching bases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echecchio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once you have orders to go to a certain base can they change them. I ask this because we are looking for a house at our new base and found a really great one. We would like to buy but I am worried they will change my orders. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Once you have orders to go to a certain base can they change them. I ask this because we are looking for a house at our new base and found a really great one. We would like to buy but I am worried they will change my orders. Thanks

You need to talk with your detailer, he/she might modify or cancel your orders, but military needs come first. Finding nice house/appratment isn't really good or justified reason for changing/canceling orders. But you need to talk to detailer.

AF rarely does this and for junior officers, it usually comes with a phone call first to see if you are willing to change. If not, they go down the list until they find someone to say yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am am a senior student that will be starting in august and really like were they are assigning me. The house I found is in the location they said I will go. What I was wondering is if they ever make an assignment and then right before you go there change it. I can't see why they would being a dentist but you never know. I heard that they could but really never do and was wondering if anyone heard or knows differently. thanks

I am am a senior student that will be starting in august and really like were they are assigning me. The house I found is in the location they said I will go. What I was wondering is if they ever make an assignment and then right before you go there change it. I can't see why they would being a dentist but you never know. I heard that they could but really never do and was wondering if anyone heard or knows differently. thanks
What service?

Yes they can. I have had orders changed. If you are going to rent, that's not a problem - you can break your lease legally. With a mortgage ...

Very important when you rent: make sure you have a military clause in your rental agreement, and make sure you know the terms of that clause. Some landlords put in a military clause that allows you to break a lease with no penalty if you provide them a copy of your new/changed orders.

Others allow you to break a lease w/ no penalty only if you're being reassigned to another duty station that is greater than XXX miles away.

Here in San Diego, they're pretty common. But if you're going to rent from a private party, make sure that's part of your contract/rental agreement.

Very important when you rent: make sure you have a military clause in your rental agreement, and make sure you know the terms of that clause. Some landlords put in a military clause that allows you to break a lease with no penalty if you provide them a copy of your new/changed orders.

Others allow you to break a lease w/ no penalty only if you're being reassigned to another duty station that is greater than XXX miles away.

Here in San Diego, they're pretty common. But if you're going to rent from a private party, make sure that's part of your contract/rental agreement.

I believe the Soldier and Sailor Relief Act requires them to. Worth lookin up the law if anyone has questions.

Yes they can. I have had orders changed. If you are going to rent, that's not a problem - you can break your lease legally. With a mortgage ...

i was supposed to PCS from Ft Campbell to Ft Bliss last year. about three weeks before the PCS date, i got a call telling me my orders had been recinded and i would be staying at Ft Campbell for another year.

i wasn't asked. i was told.

we had already told the landlord we were leaving. my wife had already turned in her resignation for her job and had set up interviews looking for a new job near Ft Bliss. we already had a move date setup with transportation