sweaty hands and practicals..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoff81EMT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is going to have any huge impact on my practicals, but I sometimes tend to get sweat hands. It's not really even a nervous thing, they just always tend to be kind of moist. I've looked into the surgery to stop them from sweating, but from what I've heard it's really painful and not a sure thing. So, I was just wondering how much this is going to affect me. I'm figuring that most of the time, I will have gloves on, but during class and what not, how will this affect me? If anyone has any thoughts, that would be great.

Thanks much..

Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

This condition, hyperhydrosis, is more common that most people think. It also tends to be much more distressing to the people who have it than others would imagine. It can make social situations, hand shaking and so on, awkward. As for EMT school I don't think it will be a big issue. You will have gloves on a lot of the time and you tend not to handle stuff that can get slippery without gloves. You might run into situations in classroom exercises where you put ungloved hands on your classmates to practice assessment and skills. That may be a little awkward but shouldn't cause any big problems. One strategy would be to discuss your problem with a classmate you think will understand and then try to team up with that person for the majority of your skill sessions.

It might help to get into the habit of just wearing gloves for all your calls, real and simulated. I'm sure people feel more comfortable that way, since some people are germophobes. I used to be a bit lax on deciding to wear gloves in the field, until I started running into situations where I'd find blood on my hands from a patient I thought was fine, and realizing how many patients have Hep C or HIV. Of course, I'm working out of an urban downtown core, so my case might be unique.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is going to have any huge impact on my practicals, but I sometimes tend to get sweat hands. It's not really even a nervous thing, they just always tend to be kind of moist. I've looked into the surgery to stop them from sweating, but from what I've heard it's really painful and not a sure thing. So, I was just wondering how much this is going to affect me. I'm figuring that most of the time, I will have gloves on, but during class and what not, how will this affect me? If anyone has any thoughts, that would be great.

Thanks much..

Jeff

I wouldn't worry about it. I certainly wouldn't have a surgery for it! Just wear gloves. Mine sweat like crazy in gloves. When I used to work on a truck and was on scenes the weather would make them sweat even more and no one ever cared for me. Just be calm! You'll be alright. (NO SURGERY)