Surviving and thriving as workhorse 🐴

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garrettp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
m4 here. I fell way down my rank list on match day. Was a weak applicant with red flags... applied broadly to FM, IM, and psych. The program I matched at is known as a 'workhorse program' in a big city. Most of the residents are foreign grads, some Caribbean grads too. q4 24 hour in-house call, high patient volumes, weak teaching, little supervision. I spoke to some of the senior residents and they seem pretty burnt out and unsatisfied. Theyre literally just there to perform labor, not to learn and become better docs.

With hindsight I can say that it might of been better to soap than to match at this program. but not much i can do about it now lol. What can i do to mentally prepare for 3 years of hell and make the most of it? how can somebody still become a competent physician at a program where labor is heavily prioritized over learning?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to read/study regularly. Up-to-date and whatever society guidelines are out there.

Weak residents don't read and it shows. No one is born knowing medicine. It actually has to be learned through a combination of action (caring for patients ) and reading/studying.

The job gets easier when you actually know what to do.

Show up early. Write things down.

Ask your seniors for advice and guidance early on to avoid any major issues.

Eat well. Get a decent amount of sleep. Avoid excessive weight gain.

"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Winston Churchill

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
You’re not better off soaping if you’re a weak applicant. You got what you likely earned and I’d learn to be happy with it, because it could be worse.

Regardless of what you encounter…it’ll still likely be easier than what residents endured 30 years ago. Even before the age of residency, doctors still figured out ways to become competent, good doctors. Work hard and learn. There will be tough times, but that is life.

“…it will get better. Then it will get worse again. Then better. This is life, and I will not lie by saying every day will be sunshine. But there will be sunshine again, and that is a very different thing to say. That is truth. I promise you, You will be warm again.”

Brandon Sanderson

Reactions: 1 user
“…it will get better. Then it will get worse again. Then better. This is life, and I will not lie by saying every day will be sunshine. But there will be sunshine again, and that is a very different thing to say. That is truth. I promise you, You will be warm again.”

Brandon Sanderson
Reading RoW now. Can't say it's my fav in the series, but we will see how it ends.

To the OP: Find the people who want to teach. They will be there, you just might need to hunt them out. As already mentioned, make sure you're reading every day. Even if you're "sure" you know what to do for a problem, read about it -- there's always more to learn.

Reactions: 1 users
m4 here. I fell way down my rank list on match day. Was a weak applicant with red flags... applied broadly to FM, IM, and psych. The program I matched at is known as a 'workhorse program' in a big city. Most of the residents are foreign grads, some Caribbean grads too. q4 24 hour in-house call, high patient volumes, weak teaching, little supervision. I spoke to some of the senior residents and they seem pretty burnt out and unsatisfied. Theyre literally just there to perform labor, not to learn and become better docs.

With hindsight I can say that it might of been better to soap than to match at this program. but not much i can do about it now lol. What can i do to mentally prepare for 3 years of hell and make the most of it? how can somebody still become a competent physician at a program where labor is heavily prioritized over learning?

This could be both a blessing and a curse.

I have encountered docs that trained at “sweatshops” like this (Cook County) and often they’re very good - they’ve been drilled until they’re blue in the face with things. They also had to learn how to get their **** together quickly in an environment with little guidance or supervision. All of this pressure can (sometimes) make diamonds. This type of experience is closer to how the doctors of old trained vs most modern university programs.

The downsides are everything you mentioned, including the fact that fellowship matching probably sucks and you’ll have to really “work it” if you want to match something competitive.

Tips:

- All that is described above in terms of wellness will be extremely important. Take care of yourself. Off duty, your major priority should be sleep, followed closely by exercise and diet.

- Be careful at a place like this with regards to getting placed on probation, fired etc. Places like this already have a bad reputation and, unlike most university programs, aren’t too concerned with preserving goodwill in the eyes of applicants. This means it’s probably easier to get fired - and when we hear stories on here of malignant PDs, residents in trouble, etc it’s not entirely surprising that most of those stores seem to come from places like this. What that means is this: get your act together, keep your nose clean, watch your back, don’t do anything stupid and also don’t talk back to attendings, even if they’re truly malignant people and you feel the criticism is unfounded. At a place like this, your response to criticism is “sir yes sir, that won’t happen again sir”. And then make sure it doesn’t.

- Remember that at the end of the day, no matter how awful the experience seems…it really is only a small segment of your career and life, and after it’s over you will be able to make a lot more choices about how and where you want to work. I thought a lot of residency and fellowship sucked, but now that I’m about 5 years out, it seems to be little more than a distant memory of a time and a place long gone. One thing that was helpful during residency was to remember that no matter how bad all of this was, some other jobs out there are much worse. You could be mining coal miles underground, working 3 minimum wage jobs to try to make as much as a resident makes, getting shot at by the Russians, etc etc. As much as residency sucks, some jobs are still way worse.

To end, I’m going to quote Vergil:

“Perchance some day the memory of this sorrow

Will even bring delight”.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Reading RoW now. Can't say it's my fav in the series, but we will see how it ends.

To the OP: Find the people who want to teach. They will be there, you just might need to hunt them out. As already mentioned, make sure you're reading every day. Even if you're "sure" you know what to do for a problem, read about it -- there's always more to learn.
It’s good. I think I like it a little more than Oathbringer, but I hear Oathbringer is much better with the re-read. Way of Kings was my favorite thus far…but the series will probably end up being in my top 3.

Depends on what you mean by "little supervision". There has to be appropriate supervision, but sometimes programs with higher autonomy make stronger physicians. You don't want to be an upper level and need your attending to dictate every move you make.

I would go into the program with an open mind. Keep in mind that leadership and faculty can change over time. There are places where the PD they interviewed ended up leaving after ROL were submitted and thus a whole change of culture can occur.

OP you need to keep this perspective in mind: residency is a means to an end. This must be repeated in your head especially during the most challenging of times.
By definition it isn't meant to be pleasant, it is at its core hard work no matter where you are. And in the end, you, and you alone will have to sit for your boards. That means you will still need to learn the medicine in spite of your surroundings/attendings/co-residents/support staff/resources, etc. So do the heavy lifting, but have an intense focus on studying as much as you possibly can.

Reactions: 2 users