Surgical Pathology Manuals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gungho

gungho
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion regarding Surgical Pathology Dissection by Hruban vs. Surgical Pathology by Lester? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, I find that Ackerman/Rosai fulfills all my gen surg path needs.... :cool:

PathOne said:
Actually, I find that Ackerman/Rosai fulfills all my gen surg path needs.... :cool:
Thanks for your response. Yeah, I've got Ackerman, but for a newbie still trying to find his way in the wilderness of the surgical bench, I'm thinking about buying one of these manuals to help me with grossing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen both - personally I think the Lester book is a lot better. The Hruban book does a very good job in diagraming sample sections, and it is a bit easier to understand what the section is supposed to demonstrate. Sometimes the Lester book just tells you where to sample, as opposed to actually showing. Lester also has sample dictations and describes how to modify technique based on specimen type or diagnosis. I own the Lester book and it has a lot of info, including chapters earlier on on basic techniques and terminology. I think it is significantly better than Rosai's section.

Grossing. Ah! Another reason to stay clear of GI. Could live a long and happy life without ever again seeing 3.5 feet of decayed intestines. Agree that Rosai isn't that good on the practicalities if you've never done it before. But I honesty don't know the books you're asking about. So don't listen to me. You have the Pathology "MOD" no less advocating Lester, so that's surely the way to cut it.

Check out the book by Westra et al too. I have that one and I like it.

I have both Lester and Westra/Hruban (first ed, Hruban is main author; second ed, Westra is) and find both of them helpful in the gross room. Lester is indespensible for all things surg path. It has great checklists for signouts; very helpful if your institution doesn't use templates. I find the explanations in Westra/Hruban a little easier to understand sometimes, especially if you've never grossed a certain type of specimen before. I'd say get both, they aren't too expensive.

Doctor B. said:
I have both Lester and Westra/Hruban (first ed, Hruban is main author; second ed, Westra is) and find both of them helpful in the gross room. Lester is indespensible for all things surg path. It has great checklists for signouts; very helpful if your institution doesn't use templates. I find the explanations in Westra/Hruban a little easier to understand sometimes, especially if you've never grossed a certain type of specimen before. I'd say get both, they aren't too expensive.
Thanks, should have picked up on that. The way DrBloodMoney worded his original I thought at first glance it was a third manual being referenced. Think I'll obtain access to both. Thanks to everyone for their input.