Surgical Loupe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afoofa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a 5X surgical loupe for my brother who is a plastic surgeon in India. Does anyone here has any idea and suggestion about the price range, make and the best place to buy.

Desirable product: head mounted, illuminated, 5X

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Loupes are a pretty tough thing to buy without playing with the different models. I have some Designs for Vision 2.5s that I use for general work and Zeiss 4x that I use for more complex stuff. I love the Zeiss optics, but they're really heavy and can cause a headache by the end of the day. I tried the high-mag Surgitel's and I didn't like the optics as much, but lots of people use them.

I think all of the major companies make loupes that are compatible with some sort of lighting system.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use a 3x Surgitel Loupes - with my Oakley frames probably around 800...love the optics.

The Zeiss loupes are hands down the best optics available. With a name like Zeiss, you know they are well designed and manufactured, and also with a price! In regards to weight, the newer models which feature all silver loupes and frames are significantly lighter than the previous model featuring silver frames with black loupes. I do not experience excessive pressure on the bridge of my nose nor strain on my neck. Also, strain on the neck can probably be attributed to the focal length and resulting degree of flexion while using the loupes. For what its worth, I happen to find the DFV's heavier than Zeiss and Surgitel.

Good luck with your decision.