Surgical internship, then ENT residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDROCKSTAR

Shred Master
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a third year med student, possibly interested in ENT.

I understand that ENT physicians do one year of general surgery, then four years of ENT for training. This may perhaps seem like a silly question...but, do you apply straight to an ENT residency as a fourth year medical student or do you have to apply for a surgery internship, then after completion of that, apply for ENT? I was under the impression that you apply to an ENT residency which is already set up for you to have one year of general surgery, then four more years on ENT. Is this a correct assumption or am I way off?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a third year med student, possibly interested in ENT.

I understand that ENT physicians do one year of general surgery, then four years of ENT for training. This may perhaps seem like a silly question...but, do you apply straight to an ENT residency as a fourth year medical student or do you have to apply for a surgery internship, then after completion of that, apply for ENT? I was under the impression that you apply to an ENT residency which is already set up for you to have one year of general surgery, then four more years on ENT. Is this a correct assumption or am I way off?

This is what I know as a MS3 right now. You apply for ENT directly out of medical school. The 1st year is a certain amount of required months for general surgery but depending on your program you will have variable amounts of ENT training that 1st year as well. So you essentially match into ENT, and do not need to reapply. The only applying you do after this point is fellowship training after 5 years.

As for whether or not you can apply into general surgery, and then try to get into ENT, I'll leave that for the actual ENTs on this board to answer.

I see that you are going to LECOM. I cannot say what it is for osteopathic residencies; however, if you are applying to an allopathic ENT residency program, you apply directly to the ENT program and you will automatically have a general surgery spot. It was that way with 90%+ of the programs when I applied many moons ago, and it's probably 100% now.