Surgery Rotation before Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromuffin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Read a post from a couple years ago and would like updated advice. Best resource still Pestana? Where can I get the resource (legally)? Any advice for someone taking surgery before Medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Read a post from a couple years ago and would like updated advice. Best resource still Pestana? Where can I get the resource (legally)? Any advice for someone taking surgery before Medicine?
I personally used OnlineMedEd and UW the most. Also read Pestana — it’s pretty general so it serves as a great overview/review. As far as the medicine goes, I did GI/renal/endo sections of UW. I still felt like the surgery shelf was tough but I did well.

Reactions: 1 user
ultimately, it didnt matter but i also took surgery WAY before medicine. surgical recall is pretty essential, IMO and definitely online med ed. i did really well on the shelf and didnt feel like i knew half of what was going on until using both of those resources, at minimum.

ultimately, it didnt matter but i also took surgery WAY before medicine. surgical recall is pretty essential, IMO and definitely online med ed. i did really well on the shelf and didnt feel like i knew half of what was going on until using both of those resources, at minimum.

Ditto, ditto. There will be plenty of people also taking Surgery before IM around this time, so it evens out. :) Online MedEd is a god send for Surgery.

Also, one thing that helped for shelves (especially for Surgery and CK) was to have an algorithm: 1) Is this an emergency? If yes 2) What do I need to fix (go by the order A - Airway i.e. intubation, B - Breathing i.e. need artificial breathing, C - Circulation i.e. fluids, pressors, etc).

I think there's something about CAB nowadays--but we were taught ABC where I was.