Surgery Post-STEP Reality Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStudent7857

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I am a current MD student starting a research year between MS2 and MS3 (matching with Class of 2024). I took STEP about a month ago and scored a 241 which was pretty close to my target of 245. I am interested in Vascular Surgery or Otolaryngology (leaning ENT) and have research activity (2 -3 publications each) in both specialties as well as 4 -5 current projects where a publication can be expected in the next year during my time away from medical school classes / rotations.

I want to acknowledge that I will need to do well on STEP 2 seeing that my cohort will be mostly P/F for STEP 1 thereby leaving the screening to STEP 2. However, my main question is whether my STEP 1 score will be a net benefit for matching into either of these specialties, essentially neutral, or potentially a hinderance? Second, with STEP 1 out of the way, what can I do to maximize my chances of matching into one of the two specialties in the 2024 match? I believe my application will be strong research-wise with multiple publications and grant-funded research. I am at a large, state medical school (Top 20 NIH funded) with robust home programs for both specialties. Thank you to anyone that can provide input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone! I am a current MD student starting a research year between MS2 and MS3 (matching with Class of 2024). I took STEP about a month ago and scored a 241 which was pretty close to my target of 245. I am interested in Vascular Surgery or Otolaryngology (leaning ENT) and have research activity (2 -3 publications each) in both specialties as well as 4 -5 current projects where a publication can be expected in the next year during my time away from medical school classes / rotations.

I want to acknowledge that I will need to do well on STEP 2 seeing that my cohort will be mostly P/F for STEP 1 thereby leaving the screening to STEP 2. However, my main question is whether my STEP 1 score will be a net benefit for matching into either of these specialties, essentially neutral, or potentially a hinderance? Second, with STEP 1 out of the way, what can I do to maximize my chances of matching into one of the two specialties in the 2024 match? I believe my application will be strong research-wise with multiple publications and grant-funded research. I am at a large, state medical school (Top 20 NIH funded) with robust home programs for both specialties. Thank you to anyone that can provide input!
Nobody really knows, because nobody knows if PDs are even going to be looking at step 1 for mixed cohorts. My guess is that, if it is looked at, it's probably a net positive for vascular and neutral in ENT.

Reactions: 2 users

Nobody knows how the whole meta is going to change with p/f, and especially when you have mixed groups of scores and p/f. That said, I think that a 241 is probably going to be a net neutral. It won’t open any doors for you but it also shouldn’t really close that many. It’s just below average for ENT so I can’t imagine it being the reason you don’t match.

Obviously step 2 is going to become a huge part of the package as it will be the only way to compare everyone in those groups.

Beyond research and solid grades, building your clinical and surgical skills and networking can help. Research and networking are often synonymous in this context. Clinical ability is important for your subi and any away rotations. There are some students who just “get it” clinically and integrate with the team well, have a comfort level in the OR, and demonstrate solid skills in those moments when they get to do something. All these little things will play into how you are perceived and will likely find their way into your letters. In the end, the letters are often a deciding factor and a “this is one of the best students I’ve seen in my career and will be at the top of our rank list” from a highly respected senior attending can make an average step score disappear.

Reactions: 1 users