Surgery helps Curt Schilling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captbadass

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read this article online about a procedure to temporary help Curt Schilling's ankle before his start in the World Series. Have you all read about this? If so, what do you think? Is this safe for Curt? I'm glad he's able to pitch, but I don't want to see him hurt worse than he already is.

Here's a link to the story: http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3103536

I'm really interested to hear what ortho residents and future orthopods think of this procedure.

capt

Members don't see this ad.

I was talking to the ortho that replaced Larry Brown's (Pistons coach) hip the other day, and Schilling came up. He wasn't really sure about the procedure, but made a point to say that news articles on surgeries are full of crap and usually nowhere near the truth. And he was speaking from his own experiences being in the news.

I don't know all the details but I heard they temporarily sutured his peroneal tendons through the skin to stop them from subluxating! That is insane! I certainly wouldn't let anyone do it to me and you won't find that one in a text book.

Athletes are unique people and often will do whatever necessary so they can play. Sometimes we do things for them that we would not normally do for other "normal" people and I do not feel this is usually for the best. However, some guys are just trying to win a world series and maybe special treatment is in order!

Who knows what the details/truth actually is.

I can not imagine suturing a tendon to skin. How painful would that be!!! But you are right, I just don't know how you could go through that, I'd be worried about devitalizing that tissue/skin in that area. It was done twice and to repair the tendon sheath eventually your incision will also be in that general area as well. Well hope he heals up and does well.