Surgery categorical PGY-1 Vacancy - start ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalothaneDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, is anyone here ready to start ASAP?

There was an unexpected vacancy for categorical PGY-1 spot posted on http://www.residentswap.org earlier today. Here is the contact info:

Surgery-General PGY-1 Open/active 715.2 miles 10/16/2007
Mercer University School of Medicine (Savannah) Program
LINK
Memorial Hlth Univ Med Ctr
Surgical Education
4700 Waters Ave 2nd Fl Ga Ear Inst
Savannah, GA 31404 Steven T Brower, MD
[email protected]
(912) 350-5900 Mollie Craven
[email protected]
(912) 350-8598

Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm thinking of interviewing for the open PGY1 position. Can you tell me about the program? Why did someone leave? Malignant or not? Call schedule?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have they already offered you the interview or are you considering contacting them or what? I am asking because I e-mailed them a few days ago and have yet to hear back so was just wondering what exactly my status was there. Thanks for any info.

Let me explain something to you guys. And this is not in the spirit of being mean; my best friend was a prelim who matched into a categorical position.

When you are in the position of being a prelim going for a categorical spot, asking about a program's pros and cons is absolutely pointless because you are not in the position to be a chooser. If you are going for a well-known university hospital, then it will be malignant and work you to death. Nobody leaves a name-hospital residency for no reason. If you are going for a small community hospital, your training will probably be poor and nobody will know where you trained because it's not going to be one of the top-tier community hospitals.

My friend, as I said, matched into a community hospital and it is a hole. The training is poor, there aren't a lot of cases, and nobody knows the place if you go more than ten miles away. That being said, he's a categorical resident somewhere in an accredited U.S. program. Does he like it? No. Did he have a choice? No. So all he can do is make the best of a lousy training program.

If you go into the process thinking you're going to turn down a program because it's in the middle of Missouri or North Dakota, then you're going to be extremely disappointed. Just apply to every place, no matter what you hear about it. Otherwise you're going to be an unmatched prelim next year. It's a tough road, good luck.

I understand what you're saying but it depends on the person. You may have reason for some bitterness because of the situation you describe, but I am in a very good position to be choosy, and I should be. I'm not a prelim bc I didn't match surgery.

My apologies, I know everyone is in different circumstances. I just wanted to make sure you wouldn't get burned. :)

This position has been filled. I spoke to them already.

I understand what you're saying but it depends on the person. You may have reason for some bitterness because of the situation you describe, but I am in a very good position to be choosy, and I should be. I'm not a prelim bc I didn't match surgery.

Hrmm, so I was browsing around and see trout in your handle. I am curious why? Its in mine b/c its part of the last name.

Long lost cuz?

EDIT: Actually, I forgot its part of my other screenname, TroutMD....but I primairly used this screen name on here...