surgery bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

KK82

Hi everyone, i am preparing for med interviews and just wanted to know what people already in school think about this...

1) why is emergency med not considered academic med? I really want to do this, but I just wanted to get some perspectives on why you guys like it.

2) also, I have worked in er and observed a lot, but i am sure there is way more that goes on... However, I am really drawn to the er bc it is that last moment that matters in saving someone's life. my friend told me this doesn't sound humble bc primary care doc etc are helping to save people's lives everytime they see them. What do you guys think???

Members don't see this ad.

KK82 said:
Hi everyone, i am preparing for med interviews and just wanted to know what people already in school think about this...

1) why is emergency med not considered academic med? I really want to do this, but I just wanted to get some perspectives on why you guys like it.

2) also, I have worked in er and observed a lot, but i am sure there is way more that goes on... However, I am really drawn to the er bc it is that last moment that matters in saving someone's life. my friend told me this doesn't sound humble bc primary care doc etc are helping to save people's lives everytime they see them. What do you guys think???

As far as I know, any specialty, including emergency medicine, is considered to be a type of academic medicine as long as you are at an academic medical center. If there are residents, medical students, or research projects, then it is academic. In this respect, ER is no less academic than other specialties.

I don't think there is anything wrong with talking about your interest in emergency medicine at interviews. However, it's not always the last moment in savings someone's life. Many people use the ER as their primary care and there are a lot of chronically ill patients that come through there as well. Saving people's lives is a part of it, though, so it's not bad to talk about. Just be sure to mention other reasons for your interest as well, and be careful not to give the impression that you are too much of a thrill seeker.

smash14 said:
As far as I know, any specialty, including emergency medicine, is considered to be a type of academic medicine as long as you are at an academic medical center. If there are residents, medical students, or research projects, then it is academic. In this respect, ER is no less academic than other specialties.

I don't think there is anything wrong with talking about your interest in emergency medicine at interviews. However, it's not always the last moment in savings someone's life. Many people use the ER as their primary care and there are a lot of chronically ill patients that come through there as well. Saving people's lives is a part of it, though, so it's not bad to talk about. Just be sure to mention other reasons for your interest as well, and be careful not to give the impression that you are too much of a thrill seeker.

I completely agree with this poster. You have to be careful so as to not look like the thrill-seeker. If you include emergency medicine as a possible career interest, make it sound like a well-informed choice, not an episode of ER.

Rzarecta said:
I completely agree with this poster. You have to be careful so as to not look like the thrill-seeker. If you include emergency medicine as a possible career interest, make it sound like a well-informed choice, not an episode of ER.

I agree.....

If you are a thrill-seeker you belong in Trauma surgery, these people have to think on their feet quickly probably more so than any other specialty.