Surgeon Qualities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brown429

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...what kind of qualities does a good surgeon have? Currently an undergraduate and I really hate being in laboratory, and do not really enjoy any disections or boring lab procedures. I have seen several heart surgeries, and while it is noble I cannot see myself doing it. I do not want to have/create an bias toward surgery at such an early stage.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering...what kind of qualities does a good surgeon have? Currently an undergraduate and I really hate being in laboratory, and do not really enjoy any disections or boring lab procedures. I have seen several heart surgeries, and while it is noble I cannot see myself doing it. I do not want to have/create an bias toward surgery at such an early stage.

I can only speak for myself but:
1. A great ass
2. Good personality
3. Sense of humor
4. "an bias" towards good grammar
5. Large penis (or tits, hopefully).

Members don't see this ad :)
-able to withstand thirst and hunger
-big bladder capacity
-don't mind getting splattered by blood, urine, bone debris, rotting necrotic flesh, sometimes right onto your face
-you will likely get poked by needles at some point, God forbid, from pts with HIV, hep B, Hep C, or some mysterious disease we have yet to discover
-don't mind inhaling that electrocautery smoke all day (basically smell of human flesh BBQ, but has been shown to transmit viral particles. VERY UNHEALTHY STUFF!)
-able to stand for long long time
-be workaholic, can tolerate lack of sleep
-don't get jealous of the anesthesiologist, who will be chilling on a comfy chair while you are 5 hrs into a case and have 3 more hrs to go
-get ready to handle some nasty verbal abuse by your surgical attendings
-educate yourself on the decreasing reimbursement issues, lawsuits, malpractice

-able to withstand thirst and hunger
-big bladder capacity
-don't mind getting splattered by blood, urine, bone debris, rotting necrotic flesh, sometimes right onto your face
-you will likely get poked by needles at some point, God forbid, from pts with HIV, hep B, Hep C, or some mysterious disease we have yet to discover
-don't mind inhaling that electrocautery smoke all day (basically smell of human flesh BBQ, but has been shown to transmit viral particles. VERY UNHEALTHY STUFF!)
-able to stand for long long time
-be workaholic, can tolerate lack of sleep
-don't get jealous of the anesthesiologist, who will be chilling on a comfy chair while you are 5 hrs into a case and have 3 more hrs to go
-get ready to handle some nasty verbal abuse by your surgical attendings
-educate yourself on the decreasing reimbursement issues, lawsuits, malpractice

awesome. just awesome.

Salmonella-you have almost convinced me to be a ortho. I have pm'd some of you and posted many times on the pod forum-so here is a question for ya'll. I want to work feet and haven't decided between pod and the med to ortho-pod as of yet-how willing are orthos to having students shadow? What limits do you usually have in regarding-watching surgeries? do want to steal the thread Brown429.