Supplies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

absvet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I got the list of supplies I need for next year and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice. From the list, I've been told I really need good barn boots, coveralls, and knee-length rubber overboots, but I don't know what people usually wear/what I should be looking for. Does anyone have any links to stuff they've bought and been happy with, examples of what kind of stuff people usually wear or where to get everything? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the links!!

Members don't see this ad :)
When buying gloves for anatomy, does it really matter what kind you get? I LOVE latex gloves, of a specific brand..my fav!! But I got this flyer in my school's envelope and it is for nitrile gloves, as part of the advertisement to order from them it says something about how nitrile gloves won't let nasty smells from anatomy lab, like formaldehyde, go through. Is it true that it goes through latex gloves or is this just part of the advertisement??

When buying gloves for anatomy, does it really matter what kind you get? I LOVE latex gloves, of a specific brand..my fav!! But I got this flyer in my school's envelope and it is for nitrile gloves, as part of the advertisement to order from them it says something about how nitrile gloves won't let nasty smells from anatomy lab, like formaldehyde, go through. Is it true that it goes through latex gloves or is this just part of the advertisement??

I read that before too in some sort of first-year survival guide from somewhere, and found it super depressing! I really don't like nitrile gloves because my hands are so tiny and even the extra small ones don't fit well. The purple ones for some reason smell like cat pee.

I used latex gloves in my vertebrate morphology undergrad lab and my hands ALWAYS smelled all day after lab. No matter how many times I washed them, they always smelled bad!

I did notice in high school and undergrad that latex gloves do not keep the stench off you like nitrile gloves do. With latex gloves you spend the rest of the day and day after constantly getting whiffs of formaldehyde and its horrendous.

:( i hate how nitrile gloves don't form as well to your hands. i lose my dexterity. i guess since i wont be working with mice it won't be as bad? sighh

thanks everyone!

NeoPro gloves are also supposed to be good with keeping the smell off. I've never worn them, though. Anyone know if they're better than nitriles?

:( i hate how nitrile gloves don't form as well to your hands. i lose my dexterity. i guess since i wont be working with mice it won't be as bad? sighh

thanks everyone!

There are some decent nitrile gloves that do fit (at least me) pretty well. I think I lost the form that Penn sent, about the nitrile gloves you can order from them (since I'll probably just grab some from my lab, I'm the only one who wears XS anyways), but I've found Protege nitrile gloves to be decent, even the small size fits me fairly well and is tight and comfortable. You can order them through ISC Bioexpress if you don't want to order through Penn (ISC does take a little while though since they're in Utah, so probably best to order soon if you're going to go that route).

And I'd definitely agree with others, latex allows chemicals through, even ethidium bromide, so while working withe the cadavers its probably best to use the nitrile even though I also prefer the latex gloves.

Ps. did they say how many boxes of gloves we'll need??

i'm surprised schools dont just have gloves stocked in their labs. do we all have to buy our own gloves? weird.

There are some decent nitrile gloves that do fit (at least me) pretty well. I think I lost the form that Penn sent, about the nitrile gloves you can order from them (since I'll probably just grab some from my lab, I'm the only one who wears XS anyways), but I've found Protege nitrile gloves to be decent, even the small size fits me fairly well and is tight and comfortable. You can order them through ISC Bioexpress if you don't want to order through Penn (ISC does take a little while though since they're in Utah, so probably best to order soon if you're going to go that route).

And I'd definitely agree with others, latex allows chemicals through, even ethidium bromide, so while working withe the cadavers its probably best to use the nitrile even though I also prefer the latex gloves.

Ps. did they say how many boxes of gloves we'll need??

I thought just one box. Assuming you'd only use 1 pair per anatomy day (since ud keep them on the whole time) that should last at least 1 semester i would think. But i guess it couldnt hurt to get a couple more so they will last a year or more.

looks like you have to order by case on ISC Bioexpress. I was afraid of this. I hope I can find this brand sold individually. Actually, i could order with 1 other person and split it so we get 5 boxes each. Now i just need to see if they gives samples so I make sure the small fits right.

thanks gellabella!

edit: i found that nitrile glove order sheet we got, it says at the bottom that most people use 2-3 boxes for anatomy. I think they mean 2-3 for the whole year of anatomy

Last edited:
I thought just one box. Assuming you'd only use 1 pair per anatomy day (since ud keep them on the whole time) that should last at least 1 semester i would think. But i guess it couldnt hurt to get a couple more so they will last a year or more.

looks like you have to order by case on ISC Bioexpress. I was afraid of this. I hope I can find this brand sold individually. Actually, i could order with 1 other person and split it so we get 5 boxes each. Now i just need to see if they gives samples so I make sure the small fits right.

thanks gellabella!

edit: i found that nitrile glove order sheet we got, it says at the bottom that most people use 2-3 boxes for anatomy. I think they mean 2-3 for the whole year of anatomy

Not all of the nitriles need to be ordered by case! I'm actually going to try out the FreeForm Nitriles and the Tranquility Nitriles as well and those both are shipped in single boxes. Protege might be on a full case basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the subject of gloves, does anyone happen to know of a brand that offers extra-long gloves? My hands are pretty normal sized (7 gloves) but I have pretty much the longest digits in the world and gloves that fit the rest of my hand leave me with the proximal inch or so of my fingers webbed. Since I only use gloves for a few things now it's not a big deal, but I can't really imagine learning surgery with webbed fingers...anyone have any leads?

Not all of the nitriles need to be ordered by case! I'm actually going to try out the FreeForm Nitriles and the Tranquility Nitriles as well and those both are shipped in single boxes. Protege might be on a full case basis.

oh yea i know not all will ship by case but i really want ones that i like and are as form fitting as my favorite latex. but now that you mentioned 2 other brands i'm not sure about which one lol i am going to order samples first and test some out

On the subject of gloves, does anyone happen to know of a brand that offers extra-long gloves? My hands are pretty normal sized (7 gloves) but I have pretty much the longest digits in the world and gloves that fit the rest of my hand leave me with the proximal inch or so of my fingers webbed. Since I only use gloves for a few things now it's not a big deal, but I can't really imagine learning surgery with webbed fingers...anyone have any leads?

I don't know if this would be a solution or not. But i just went to Microflex website to get some sample gloves, there is an option where you can type in info and it tells you which type of gloves is best. One of the options is length of glove, 9.5" is standard or you can get the extended cuff 12" long glove. I'm not sure if the fingers would also be longer or just the cuff, but you could order samples and try them out!

i'm surprised schools dont just have gloves stocked in their labs. do we all have to buy our own gloves? weird.

Welcome to the world of budget cuts. :rolleyes:

FYI: I got 2 boxes of nitrile gloves from Sams Club...for 10 bucks. They have latex too if thats more your flavor.

And I'd definitely agree with others, latex allows chemicals through, even ethidium bromide, so while working with the cadavers its probably best to use the nitrile even though I also prefer the latex gloves.

:eek: Why is ethidium bromide sitting in cadavers???

hmm... i definitely routinely dunked my hands in buffers containing loads of it with latex gloves (i dumped a ton of ethidium bromide in the buffer instead of putting a lil in the agarose or tiny amount in the samples). waiting for gnarly tumors to develop on my hands any day now...

Haha no no Minnerbelle,

i didn't mean that there's ethidium bromide in the cadavers, I was just stating that it does go through latex gloves..mostly because most people I see with lab experience that have worked with ethidium bromide have used latex gloves while doing it...i did too until I realized. More just a tidbit of info for those in the lab and since some chemicals (like EtBr) can go through latex, I'd err on the safer side and use nitrile with the cadavers cause I just don't know what kinds of chemicals might be used on them. :)

So is the Protege brand of nitrile gloves the only ones that fit well?

I hate nitrile gloves because it's like trying to do work with numb fingers. Would rather deal with the smell on my hands than work in those things. But if there's a best of both worlds solution...

I used latex gloves all through anatomy - the nitrile gloves usually make my hands go crazy. I never really noticed a problem - however, this may be because smelling formaldehyde for hours every day killed my sense of smell!!

I went through a lot of gloves - they rip (those probes can get feisty), you want to take them off if you are reading for a bit, etc. You will use them when you study and also for other classes (at Penn for neuro and some random labs like placentas, yum). However most people were less excessive than I was (especially those with nitrile gloves)! The big bonus of latex gloves (other than all the fancy colors) is that they are cheap!!

:eek: Why is ethidium bromide sitting in cadavers???

hmm... i definitely routinely dunked my hands in buffers containing loads of it with latex gloves (i dumped a ton of ethidium bromide in the buffer instead of putting a lil in the agarose or tiny amount in the samples). waiting for gnarly tumors to develop on my hands any day now...

Ug...that gives me nightmares...I won't even look at a set gel without nitrile gloves on!

So is the Protege brand of nitrile gloves the only ones that fit well?

I hate nitrile gloves because it's like trying to do work with numb fingers. Would rather deal with the smell on my hands than work in those things. But if there's a best of both worlds solution...

Not sure if you missed it above but gellabella also mentioned 2 other brands. So they are:

Protege
Microflex FreeForm
Tranquility

I got samples from the first two (well, still waiting) but they were very nice because i emailed them and said i was just a vet student and i dont have a company address to ship to. They took my home address. The third one, tranquility, has not written me back yet. Oh well, their lose!

I went through a lot of gloves - they rip (those probes can get feisty), you want to take them off if you are reading for a bit, etc. You will use them when you study and also for other classes (at Penn for neuro and some random labs like placentas, yum). However most people were less excessive than I was (especially those with nitrile gloves)! The big bonus of latex gloves (other than all the fancy colors) is that they are cheap!!

You beat me to it! :)

I used about 3 boxes of Nitrile gloves last year, but I also wasn't up in lab nearly as much as some of my classmates. If you run out, you can always order more or pick up some at Dolby's (across the street). You will probably also need more blades than you get in your anatomy kit, but again, they have those at Dolby's if you need them.

Ordering thru the flier you got is nice because it supports the Public Health club, but obviously you don't have to.

I wouldn't worry too much about sensitivity -- it's not like you're really dissecting out tiny, tiny stuff like mice brains.

I got samples from the first two (well, still waiting) but they were very nice because i emailed them and said i was just a vet student and i dont have a company address to ship to. They took my home address. The third one, tranquility, has not written me back yet. Oh well, their lose!

Interesting. I had no idea you could request samples of gloves. Have done so now though!

Aren't Tranquility and FreeForm made by the same company (Microflex)? Or did you request the samples from a retailer? I requested them directly from their site but don't know that they'll comply, me being a lowly veterinary student and all. :laugh: But hopefully they'll see an opportunity for future business and spring for a glove.

The textured finger tips on the Tranquility and FreeForm gloves sounds handy. Didn't see any specification on the Protege's though. Guess we'll see.

Interesting. I had no idea you could request samples of gloves. Have done so now though!

Aren't Tranquility and FreeForm made by the same company (Microflex)? Or did you request the samples from a retailer? I requested them directly from their site but don't know that they'll comply, me being a lowly veterinary student and all. :laugh: But hopefully they'll see an opportunity for future business and spring for a glove.

The textured finger tips on the Tranquility and FreeForm gloves sounds handy. Didn't see any specification on the Protege's though. Guess we'll see.

oya microflex does have tranquility too but i wrote another vendor for tranquility samples. i dont remember why, maybe i didnt want to get 2 samples from one place because id feel bad? let me know if you get your samples lol im still waiting

Is anyone else slightly aghast that we have to supply our own gloves, considering the outrageous cost of tuition? Not to mention the "microscope fee," etc. OSU is raking in about 5 mill per class, per year. Where exactly is all this money going...? :confused:

Is anyone else slightly aghast that we have to supply our own gloves, considering the outrageous cost of tuition? Not to mention the "microscope fee," etc. OSU is raking in about 5 mill per class, per year. Where exactly is all this money going...? :confused:

it does annoy me that i am paying over 40k and i dont get gloves or even the dissection kit as free (it was only 18$ so why not be free for us?) I dunno. I'm just assuming that if they get 0$ funding then i guess it goes to all of the salaries of staff, research??, anatomy cadavers-do they pay for these?, maybe some of it goes to the vet hospitals?? Taking care of our cat and dog colony. oya I cant forget the large animal facility! Im sure they need to pay off the cost it took to build New Bolton center

it would be nice to see a list of stuff the money goes to. i'm just imaging it going around in a circle of vet med stuff and hopefully it is all being used for the good.

Well my college has to make a $4 million budget cut in just the CVM, much less the rest of the college. I think ISU had to slash their budget by a large amount as well earlier this year. Perhaps that's what's happening at other places as well.

My own personal opinion on the glove thing: I went through 2-3 boxes of gloves first year (anatomy + neuroscience) and tended to change gloves when I went to type on my computer, highlight stuff, etc. Some people didn't care about formaldehyde on their laptop keyboards, some didn't wear gloves hardly at all (!), some wore nitrile, some changed more often than I did.

Honestly, regarding the smell thing--when you're in the lab for 3+ hours a day 5+ days a week, you're really not going to notice the formaldehyde smell anywhere--even your hands. :) It wasn't until I came back second year that I realized how much the first year lab REEKS of formaldehyde--I hadn't noticed it for so long. So, I personally don't think the whole smell thing is an issue re: nitrile vs. latex.

Your cadaver will be fixed with formalin and most of the vessels filled with latex. Having super-duper sensation in your gloves is of minimal importance--it really feels nothing like live tissue and there's not much tactile detail left in the bodies. I personally wouldn't let that color my decision at all.

Just my $0.02. :)

I hate wearing gloves as a rule for the same reason - not enough fine sensory and tactile control, etc. Not a problem in anatomy. I used nitrile. For one thing, I thought they felt nicer (I hate the feel of latex). For another thing, medical professional people can develop a sensitivity to latex due to overexposure AND I have family members that are sensitive to it. Want to minimize that.

I went through a ton of gloves, but just picked them up at costco. No biggie. I was in the lab a lot on weekends studying, and went through more than one pair a day. In the grand scheme of things, gloves are cheap.

My protege samples came!!! i was really impressed by them! they are thin like latex gloves and they fit well. i definitely have never worn nitrile gloves as nice as these. i think i may buy these just because the customer service was the nicest and i actually got samples. Im not sure if the others will come, and one of them hasnt responded yet.

edit: i also found them sold on Amazon so you don't have to order a case. Although, im not sure if these are the stretch kind. But either way, splitting a case with 1 person should be easy to do

My protege samples came!!! i was really impressed by them! they are thin like latex gloves and they fit well. i definitely have never worn nitrile gloves as nice as these. i think i may buy these just because the customer service was the nicest and i actually got samples. Im not sure if the others will come, and one of them hasnt responded yet.

edit: i also found them sold on Amazon so you don't have to order a case. Although, im not sure if these are the stretch kind. But either way, splitting a case with 1 person should be easy to do

Aww good! I'm glad you like the proteges as well. I think they are thin and comfy :)

So are you going with the $18 dissection kit? I wasn't sure if it's going to be crappy for only $18 or what.

Also I saw you're getting lots of textbooks in! I haven't ordered any yet cause I was told we don't actually use them all. Which ones did you end up buying?

Aww good! I'm glad you like the proteges as well. I think they are thin and comfy :)

So are you going with the $18 dissection kit? I wasn't sure if it's going to be crappy for only $18 or what.

Also I saw you're getting lots of textbooks in! I haven't ordered any yet cause I was told we don't actually use them all. Which ones did you end up buying?

Ya i wasnt going to buy the dissection kit but then the man at Dolbey's convinced me because he said 90% of the kids get it since it is the exact recommendations as the prof says. The only other thing I heard about the kit is that we may need to order more blades mid-year.

I also didnt order all of the books. I heard we dont need any except for anatomy-dissection of dog. But IMO i cant live without any books!! I need them for reference/guidance and confidence lol.

Anyway, this is what ive bought so far.

Dyce-textbook of vet anatomy
Evans-guide to dissection of dog
Pasquini-(not on our list)

Bacha-color atlas of vet histology (although it says on our book sheet that most students buy this and it is recommended, i did hear that we don't need it since most slides are posted on line. But i found a used copy with no writing, and figured what the heck lol the pictures are really nice and clear+color)

Hyttel- Essentials of domestic embryology (this one is also strongly recommended on our book sheet, but I have heard you dont need it. once again, i wanted at least 1 text book for the class so i got it. The inside is REALLY nice!! im really happy with this purchase because the book is awesome whether or not i use it for class, ill use it later in life)

That is all i bought! I already have the biochem book from undergrad so i did not need to buy it. This also makes me feel less guilty about buying the histology and embryology books because i still saved money lol. Your welcome to stop by any time during the summer and check out the inside of the books to see if you like them!

My protege samples came!!!
Just got mine today, though haven't gotten the others yet.

I forgot to specify what size, so they just sent me two of each size lol. Oh well...guess I'll just blow up the rest or something.

Anyhow, they're quite nice. Fit almost exactly like latex gloves, though I think my hands heated up a lot quicker in them. However, when in the cold of a cadavar for anatomy lab, that may be a plus.

It seems odd to me that you can't buy them by the box (or well, I can't find anywhere that'll let me do so) but rather by the case of the thousands.
Edit: Oh, nevermind, here we go, but shipping is $10!!

Man I cannot find anywhere with decent shipping. $8 for a box of 100 isn't too bad, but tack on $8 shipping and it's no longer worth it.

Last edited:
Just got mine today, though haven't gotten the others yet.

I forgot to specify what size, so they just sent me two of each size lol. Oh well...guess I'll just blow up the rest or something.

Anyhow, they're quite nice. Fit almost exactly like latex gloves, though I think my hands heated up a lot quicker in them. However, when in the cold of a cadavar for anatomy lab, that may be a plus.

It seems odd to me that you can't buy them by the box (or well, I can't find anywhere that'll let me do so) but rather by the case of the thousands.
Edit: Oh, nevermind, here we go, but shipping is $10!!

Man I cannot find anywhere with decent shipping. $8 for a box of 100 isn't too bad, but tack on $8 shipping and it's no longer worth it.

I found that link too but i realized it wasnt the stretch kind, not sure if there is a difference or not. I ended up buying from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DQZFW2/ref=oss_product This link is for size small gloves though, there are others from the same place medium and large. I also emailed them, it was a Dentist Supply store and they were really nice. They took my order number and said will double check and make sure I get the right size. The total cost ended up being $65.85, which for 10 boxes is $6.58 per box!!!

Not sure about your school, but mine recommended I order the $18 boxes they have. HAH what i deal i got!! :) I'll either keep all 10 boxes and use them over the years, or I'll ask other girls in my class if they want half of them. I'm so happy I found this deal though. I can't imagine buying 3 boxes for about $60

I just got several boxes of 2ndskin nitrile gloves (my mom uses them in her practice and she has small hands too) and we both use the XS. They come in cool colors (light green, purple, pink), powder-free and they fit very well.

Question for you BlacKat, or anyone else who uses a small, are the fingers really short or are they still a reasonable length? I have thin hands, but long fingers. Medium gloves swamp my palms, but smalls typically don't fit my fingers very well.

Question for you BlacKat, or anyone else who uses a small, are the fingers really short or are they still a reasonable length? I have thin hands, but long fingers. Medium gloves swamp my palms, but smalls typically don't fit my fingers very well.

i'm probably not a good person to ask this. my fingers are short and i'm constantly pulling on the gloves to get the extra to stick in between my digits, i dont even know what that area is called lol. but this happens for any glove i wear even the latex smalls. so IMO the fingers are always too long for me!! hahaha

But if you want to try them just ask for a sample! like i said before, aurelia protege customer service was SO NICE. and i got my glove samples (in every size) in a short period of time. or you could even ask them and maybe they could tell you the length of the fingers?

What do you recommend for a dissection kit ? Also why do I keep seeing hemostats in the dissection kits online?:confused: The only time I have seen a hemostat not used on a vessel it was during a dental neither of these activities seem relevant to dissecting a preserved specimen.

What do you recommend for a dissection kit ? Also why do I keep seeing hemostats in the dissection kits online?:confused: The only time I have seen a hemostat not used on a vessel it was during a dental neither of these activities seem relevant to dissecting a preserved specimen.

Hemostats?? Pointless...never used mine. But I did end up using a good pair of rat tooth forceps, which were not part of the dissection kit that I purchased...would recc one of those. The only instruments I used: 2 scapel handles (one for normal #10 blades and one for larger LA blades), scissors and forceps.

personal tip: mark YOUR dissection instruments with colored tape!

Last edited:
You can use hemostats to remove your blades from your scalpel handle if you don't have one of the handy wall-mounted blade removers, otherwise I almost never used mine. We mostly used traumatic and nontraumatic forceps, a probe, scalpel handle, and scissors.

I used hemostats all the time in dissection. Really handy to grab some nerve/vessel/tissue/etc. that you don't want removed but is in your way constantly to give it a little 'extra weight' and move off to the side so that it stays put.