Super late acceptance advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bagel3000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I applied in the 2021-22 cycle and had a couple interviews which resulted in waitlists. I was planning on reapplying but I got a call today from Western Oregon. I was on the alternate list for Western Pomona and since they’re affiliated I got a call from Oregon since they had a spot open. They offered me a position on their class this year but the thing is, class starts August 1st. I would have to apply for loans, find an apartment and move, quit my job and everything in two weeks. While it’s exciting that I got an acceptance I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that I suddenly have to say bye to my family and boyfriend and just move. I live in Southern California so it’s not a terrible move but still pretty far. I was wondering if anyone had experience getting into school this late? I wish I had more time to get everything in order.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
My friend got accepted one week before class started. He had an apartment and a research job all settled. Imagine the stress he was going through (he's typically an anxious guy). But congrats on the acceptance!

Reactions: 1 users
I’d be cautious, I feel like schools who accept people this generally don’t have stuff in order. Is western Oregon a new school ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d be cautious, I feel like schools who accept people this generally don’t have stuff in order. Is western Oregon a new school ?
No, it is a reputable school. It is not uncommon for DO schools to have to continue going through their waitlist close to the day school starts.

Reactions: 4 users

There are MD schools that pull people off the waitlist like a week before classes start too (at least according to anecdotes). It's just the sad reality of the admissions process. If they're talking about Western Oregon, then its a pretty solid established school.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
My school will pull people off the waitlist in the first week of orientation! This is a common thing for medical schools, especially in the DO world.

OP, inquire in the western - Oregon school specific thread and see if you can get any insight from current students

My school will pull people off the waitlist in the first week of orientation! This is a common thing for medical schools, especially in the DO world.

OP, inquire in the western - Oregon school specific thread and see if you can get any insight from current students
Same for my school and 2 other schools I know off the top of my head.

When you are on waitlist you should always be prepared. Do not worry everything will be fine. Get the acceptance and school do understand and in my school they call 2-3 students for standby during orientation. At least you have two weeks. All the best!!!

Have fun! At least they won't start orientation without you. As noted, some waitlisted applicants get the call as late as the first week after classes start (which really would be challenging).

I was recently accepted off the WL for one school outside of the state I'm in ! this was last Friday and I am trying to get everything in as fast as I can lol I get how you feel with only having two weeks before moving. I don't have an apartment set up either so I think I might airbnb it for a bit until I find something. I'm just trying to not panic too much and lean on the school for support! I'm sure your school acknowledges that its very last minute and will help you get through the transition! Good luck to you and congrats ! A bitter sweet moment 😊

I was recently accepted off the WL for one school outside of the state I'm in ! this was last Friday and I am trying to get everything in as fast as I can lol I get how you feel with only having two weeks before moving. I don't have an apartment set up either so I think I might airbnb it for a bit until I find something. I'm just trying to not panic too much and lean on the school for support! I'm sure your school acknowledges that its very last minute and will help you get through the transition! Good luck to you and congrats ! A bitter sweet moment 😊
That’s a great plan actually, thank you for the advice! It is such a bittersweet moment but hey we did it! Congrats to you too and good luck with everything! 😊

• Care