SUNY or New England?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB01

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was trying to choose between New England and New York.... I was just wondering what you guys think of the 2 schools and the cities... and also about SCCO... I'm trying to make my decision in the next week and a 1/2..... it's down to these 3...

thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

SUNY SUNY SUNY SUNY!

Well, I'm biased because I will be going to SUNY this fall. ;) ...

As for Boston vs. NYC -- they're both very expensive cities, both have good public transportation, both offer an interesting and diverse cultural experience -- so in my opinion it comes down to personal preference.

I haven't visited NEWENCO, so I can't really compare the two schools fairly (eyegirl loved it -- hopefully she'll post her opinion here). That said, I am impressed with SUNY's small class size and look forward to the benefits of a small faculty-student ratio -- more faculty attention, a tightly-knit class, etc. I also really like that all the facilities are located in the one building (I think this is the case for NEWENCO, too) in a great part of midtown. Everyone I've met at SUNY so far seems really nice, too.

For me, the cost of SUNY as a state school is terrific -- after one year I can claim NY residency and tuition goes *way* down. If you're from Canada, I'm not sure how that works out for you.

I don't know anything about SCCO, but I am familiar with the area (my dad moved there after I graduated high school). Fullerton is a true suburban and southern California city, very different from Boston and NYC. You'll want a car in Fullerton, won't need one in Boston/NYC. If you're a beach/sun/warm weather person you'll love it there.

As schools, they all have great reputations academically, so my advice would be to go with: 1) the school you -like- the most, and 2) where you want to live for 4 years.

Good luck!

Have you considered ICO...we all know it is the best. :D ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me offer all you enthusiasts out there a different perspective. Both schools politics involved. If you are having academic difficulties N.England pushes you and helps you to the extreme as best as can for you to succeed but they will not spoon feed you either. SUNY- you stand less of a chance of getting bye- if you're sinking you will drown.
Words of CAUTION-

TRUST ME ON THIS!

Rpames....I love it!

To SBO1--try searching for my thread on NEWENCO. It was from the middle of November. I don't think I could write about it as eloquently as I did before since it is not as fresh in my memory.

I had a tough choice to make between ICO and NEWENCO. Eventually it came down to a couple of things: (1)The cost of living etc...is WAY high in Boston, even compared to Chicago! Plus the tuition is high and it stays high!(2)I have a husband and I have to think about him too and he didn't want to jet off to the east coast and (3)I was far more impressed with the clinic and aura of "academic seriousness" of ICO vs. NEWENCO. But don't get me wrong. NEWENCO is beautiful. I can't say that I didn't leave part of my heart in Boston...

I don't know anything about SCCO.

luv,
Eyegirl

Hi SB01:

SUNY accepted 72 students last year, Newenco accepted 91, and SCCO accepted 98.

I interviewed at those three schools and received a positive impression from all three. Since most people on this board have talked about SUNY and Newenco, I?ll give you a little insight about SCCO since I currently live 45 minutes away from the campus.

As r_salis mentioned, SCCO is located in a true suburban area that has great sunny Southern California weather. The public transportation in Southern California is poor compared to New York and Boston. There is essentially no subway system around Fullerton, and although there are buses running, many students drive around here. You do not essentially need a car if you live near the campus, and you?ll be able to find people to drive you around if you need something.

The cost of housing in Fullerton is considered a bit cheaper than the rest of Orange County. There are no dormitories at SCCO, but they do own several condos that they rent out to their students for a great price. However, there is a wait list to get one of their condos. I?m around number 30 on the wait list and they told me that I have a 50% chance of getting one. The school won?t know for sure how many students are moving out until they received 30-day notices to vacate.

Many students that do not live in the campus-owned condos have the opportunity to rent an apartment throughout the city. Rents range from mid $800s - $1300s/month for a one bedroom/one bath depending on what amenities you want in your apartment (washer/dryer, refrigerator, microwave, A/C, etc). Square footage for a one bedroom also ranges from around 550 square feet for a junior one bedroom (studio) up to 800 square feet. Besides living in Fullerton, you can look into apartments in Brea and Placentia if you have a car. The one good thing about having a car in Fullerton compared to Boston and New York is that you?ll always find parking, and rental communities will not charge you extra for a parking pass (as I found out in some properties around Newenco). Also, there is a roommate finder service through SCCO that I?m sure you received information about.

You can see some floor plans and current prices in apartments in Fullerton by visiting:

www.apartmentguide.com

Here are some websites from apartment complexes near SCCO/Cal State Fullerton:

www.HaverHillApartments.net
www.arnelresidential.com (the Homestead apartment complex)
www.LasPalmasApartments.net
www.camcoinc.com (in Placentia)

Also, I know 4th year student at SCCO from Canada that would answer any questions you may have. If you would like to contact her, please e-mail me and I will give you her contact information.

As everyone else has said, pick a school where you can imagine yourself for the next 4 years because all optometry schools do essentially the same academically.

Best wishes,

Rosanna

Like Rosanna, I've interviewed at all three schools.

Newenco was very posh and Boston was quite lovely. It's a very academic oriented town with a high student population. (Party) IT'S SWEET, but you pay a price. You can't live near the school without paying a pretty penny. So, you have to take the subway to school about 20-30 min for a decent price.
Newenco is focusing on the research aspect of optometry, rather than the clinical. It's great if you want to research. It's number one among private optometry schools!! The pass rate on the first part of the boards is above average, but not by that much. I'm not sure what that means, they were quite vague when I asked for an exact number.

SUNY is in the center of one of the most famous areas of the world.....also one of the most expensive. How would you like to share a room for $1300? OUCH! So, most of the students commute 30 min on the subway from queens, (or so I was told). They're trying to buy some living space by the college and use it as "dorms", but that idea hasn't come into effect as of yet.
SUNY has one of the highest average OAT scores for accepted students. It was at a 333 last year, only behind Ohio and Berkeley. Dr. Johnston told me that their pass rate on the first part of the boards has never gone below 94%, which is extremely impressive. Also, they offer you resident tuition after your first year which lowers your bills SIGNIFICANTLY. For you East Coasters, the weather might not be a problem, but MAN I went in February and I was freezing. FREEZING. Literally. Boston was freezing too though. I don't know how you guys do it. It's a good school though with a good repuation and a good clinic. I mean, can you get any more diverse than New York City???

On to SCCO. Southern California... .....warm all year. Of course the East Coast people like to say that they have seasons. And yes, I would like to have a white Christmas for once in my life, but I suppose I should talk about the school now. Yes, you'll need a car. I mean there are apartments in the area within walking distance, but groceries, shopping and entertainment are too far to walk. You can take a bus. No one really does, but I guess you can bum a ride!! Make friends quickly. It's also near Disney Land!!!! :clap:
They offer a wonderful clinical education and have first part board passing rates in the 90% range, except the past 2 years where they dropped to around 86%. I asked them about this and they said something about the whole national average dropping. I don't know if that's true, but that's what they told me. When a lot of school reps come to California, they all say SCCO is a great school (which is kinda weird b/c they should be promoting their own schools). Did I mention it's by Disney Land??

Like everyone else said already, choose the school you can see yourself at for at least THREE YEARS. You met students from these schools...can you picture them as your colleages?? Think about if a commute will take away from your sleep or study time (30-40 min each way could be huge especially with an 8:00AM midterm). Ask yourself where you want to practice. You'll be making connections and building relationships in the city where your school is. Are you single and looking for a drastic change, or are you in a long term relationship?? Do you want to pay the out of state fee?? Build a pros and cons list (I actually did this) and see which school wins out. MOST OF ALL, don't let what other people say influence you. Go where you want to go!!! Not where your parents, your friends, or people on the SDN want you to go. Follow your heart and I'm sure you'll make a wonderful choice!!!

Check out the stats of different schools at this webpage!!
http://www.opted.org/info_profile2.cfm

Originally posted by Batlauren
MOST OF ALL, don't let what other people say influence you. Go where you want to go!!! Not where your parents, your friends, or people on the SDN want you to go.
Batlauren, that was a really nice post! :)

SB01, do what SDN tells you to do. Go to SUNY. ;)
(Just kidding... definitely follow your own heart and instincts...)

Did I mention it's by Disney Land??

Lauren =)

Are you going to get everyone that is going to SCCO with you to buy an annual pass to Disneyland? :)

- Rosanna

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses.... your comments have helped and I'm beginning to lean towards SUNY.... but we'll see... I still have a week or two before I have to decide....

much love...

I actually took a road trip and went to SCCO open house yesterday. Even though that's the only optometry school I've visited, I love the campus. It's small and beautiful, and the students there seemed friendly. Yup, its near Disneyland (the hotel i stayed at was actually on the same street as Disney :D ). The beach is also pretty close driving distance (I went there too!) I love southern CA! So many things to do. I haven't really started looking into different opt schools, but do all the schools basically have rotations that you can do in different locations in the US?

I think you can do rotations all over no matter what school you go to.