SUNY interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JG777

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just called SUNY today for an interview with Dr. Johnston here in CA. =) yay! I'm pretty apprehensive about it. it's my first one. i'll be interviewing the 20th of october. has anyone here interviewed with Dr. Johnston away from SUNY? They told me to dress casual and i'm wondering if the ambience would be pretty laid back as well. any advice from folks who have would be great.

i know the typical questions he could ask so i've been thinking about how i'd answer them. i'm not trying to memorize my answers, but just to get more comfortable saying it outloud. oh ya, and do u know where a good resource to look up the new laws and current optometry issues? thanks!!!

- jen

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome! :clap: if u want interview advice, r_salis is the lady to ask.

my friend also interviewed there last year, and he got accepted. his exact words after it was over was: "it was pretty chilled out" i know it doesnt help much, but its encouraging :) i would say dont stress, just be assured and calm.

Tony

Congrats on getting the interview, Jen!

I'm a 1st-year at SUNY and I love it here. Don't get stressed out about your interview -- Dr. Johnston is a *really* nice guy and is very easy to talk to. He was away when I came to interview last year, so I'm sure your interview will be different (I posted a description of it, if you search for "SUNY interview" you'll find it). Also, I imagine the off-site inteviews are different -- I had a 3-person committee, you'll probably just talk with Dr. Johnston.

My advice is to just know yourself well -- know why you want to go into optometry, why you think it's right for you, be able to explain how you got interested in it and what you did to learn more about it. Also, be able to explain what you know about the profession -- different modes of practice (drawbacks, benefits), private vs. commecial practice, the 1-800-contacts thing, etc. Some good online journals to read are: Review of Optometry, and Optometric Management.

So good luck! Like I said, Dr. Johnston is super nice, so don't get stressed about meeting him. There are a zillion California students here, too -- they even have their own student association. If you have any more questions about SUNY or the interview, please ask! Good luck!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Jen:

I also interviewed with Dr. Johnston when he visited my campus in CA last year.

Relax! He's incredibly easy to interview with. To me, the interview was more of a friendly conversation. We spoke about our hobbies, interests, etc. We didn't talk too much about "optometry" but he did answer a lot of questions I had about SUNY. He also remarked to me that he was really impressed that I had a few pages of questions to ask him if I forgot during the interview. Plus, he will tell you at the end of the interview if you will be accepted so that might alleviate some stress you may have.

Insider tip - he loves Broadway musicals which I do also. We spent a good period of the interview talking about them. As of last year, Mamma Mia! was his favorite. =) Good thing to relate to him if you can.

I would also recommend reading some current optometry journals if you can.

Good luck,

Rosanna