Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate OT 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chochie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I haven't seen any recent discussions about SUNY Downstate for OT. Has anyone heard any news from them or had an interview? I had an interview three weeks ago (1/26)- still haven't heard any news! I think the interview went well- did anyone else hear anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied. But I never heard anything

I had my interview 1/27 and haven't heard anything either. Dr. Sabari said that we would be hearing back by April 1st or earlier. Who did you have your interview with? Was is it in person or over the phone?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview 1/27 and haven't heard anything either. Dr. Sabari said that we would be hearing back by April 1st or earlier. Who did you have your interview with? Was is it in person or over the phone?

I had my interview with an alumni in person. I didn't see Dr. Sabari, but I did see Dr. Kaplan who also said we would hear by April 1st. From other forums that I read, people could receive an answer as little as a month after their interview. I know they started interviews late this year so everything might be a bit later...

I applied and have not heard anything yet.

I interviewed toward the end of January and received an acceptance email this past Thursday.

I interviewed toward the end of January and received an acceptance email this past Thursday.

Congrats!!! Is it your first time applying? I also interviewed then! I'm super nervous now! Who did you receive an email from?

Congrats!!! When did you send in your application? I submitted a week before the deadline so I'm getting pretty anxious since I haven't heard anything from them...

Congrats!!! Is it your first time applying? I also interviewed then! I'm super nervous now! Who did you receive an email from?
Second time applying--I was wait listed last year.

Congrats!!! When did you send in your application? I submitted a week before the deadline so I'm getting pretty anxious since I haven't heard anything from them...
Thank you. I submitted a little before the deadline--can't remember exactly when. Good luck!!

Congrats!!! Are you from New York and who did you interview with? Thanks.
Thank you! I live in NYC.
My interview was with a faculty member, however, once they send off their notes they have no control over the acceptance of that person.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone still waiting on any type of response from them? No news regarding an interview or a decision :( Just give me the rejection already...

Is anyone still waiting on any type of response from them? No news regarding an interview or a decision :( Just give me the rejection already...

Totally feel your pain- I'm still waiting on a response after I had an interview. I'm going crazy just waiting...

Totally feel your pain- I'm still waiting on a response after I had an interview. I'm going crazy just waiting...

Waiting for a reply too....do you know how many people got interviewed??

I was acepted a few weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the area the school is located in? I am from Upstate NY and I did a phone interview so I have no idea what the campus looks like. Also, where is a good place to live? should I be with in walking distance or is it ok if I take the subway to class?

Waiting for a reply too....do you know how many people got interviewed??

No idea- I think I read somewhere about 100 but I have no idea if that's true. You had your interview 1/27? That's a day after I had mine- did you apply to any other schools?

I was acepted a few weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the area the school is located in? I am from Upstate NY and I did a phone interview so I have no idea what the campus looks like. Also, where is a good place to live? should I be with in walking distance or is it ok if I take the subway to class?

Congrats!! When was your interview?? Do you mind sharing your stats?? From what I know taking the subway is fine- the area isn't really too great so I would recommend taking the subway.

I went to Downstate for their info session back in October, and honestly I wouldn't live in that area if I were you. It's located in a sketchy place, I did not feel safe walking around there at night. Thankfully though, the school is located about two to three blocks away from the subway! I would just find a better place in Brooklyn to live in (though that can be expensive). I think Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst are better areas to check out if you want an apartment. I would recommend more places, but I'm from Queens, and if you were to get a place around here, your commute to school will be over an hour :(

Hi I just got accepted via email today. I was interviewed mid February. I was wait listed last year, don't give up on what you want in life!! Wish you luck with admissions process!

It seems that applicants who were wait-listed last year got their answers already. I recently interviewed...I'll share if I hear anything from Downstate. Best of luck to everyone!

I had my interview mid February as well and I'm anxiously waiting to hear back as this is my number 1 choice. Does anyone who has been accepted or has been in recent contact with the school know when they plan on having notified the entire incoming class?

I had my interview mid February as well and I'm anxiously waiting to hear back as this is my number 1 choice. Does anyone who has been accepted or has been in recent contact with the school know when they plan on having notified the entire incoming class?

I'm also still waiting to hear! When I had my interview they told me by April 1st! so we should all be hearing within the next two weeks!

Hi everyone, I interviewed late February and still haven't heard back about any decision.. I'm so scared.. Anyone heard back yet other then the people on top?

Hi everyone, I interviewed late February and still haven't heard back about any decision.. I'm so scared.. Anyone heard back yet other then the people on top?
It appears that applicants who were wait-listed last year received their responses immediately. I don't think first-time applicants heard anything back yet. I'm so nervous too!

Wow, that's crazy.. Downstate is my first choice and I know it's a long shot but I'm still hoping... :/

Has anyone heard anything? I'm still waiting! :( It's been 9 weeks since my interview!!! :mad:

@Chochie I'm still waiting too!:( It's been about 6 weeks since mine. Hopefully on Monday or Tuesday they'll be sending it out!

@Chochie @OT2735 I interviewed 1/29 and still have not heard anythig either.. Do you know if any rejection letters were sent?? I can't wait any longer....

@Kat792732 It seems that they only sent decisions out to people who were wait listed last year. At my interview they said we would hear by April first, but I called the admissions office this past Monday (3/24) to ask if acceptances are still being sent out and they said decisions are being sent out for the next two weeks. You guys mind sharing your stats? I hope we all get in!! :)

Do you know if we will be getting the decision by mail or email? Do people get rejected after an interview?

Do you know if we will be getting the decision by mail or email? Do people get rejected after an interview?

No idea if its email or mail. I've been crazily checking both lol! And I'm sure people get rejected- the program only has 30 spots and I'm sure they interview about 100 people. Plus some of those spots are filled by people who were wait listed last year

I'm with you, gals. My ears are pealed for the chime of my email notification. Please share when you get a response!

i check EVERY single day, I feel like evey minute of the day!!! ughhh I just hope that the decisions being sent out aren't the rejections, I feel that its SO late and we should have known by now of our acceptances... but then again who knows...........

ohhh and on my online application status mine says ." Faculty Application Review Completed ".. not sure if anyone says same? or something else?

Yeah, I feel the same way.. Being that it's late.. How did ur interviews go everyone? How long was ur interview btw?

Yes, the suspense and waiting is killing me. I also had my interview at the end of January. If I hear anything I will definitely keep everyone posted! Good luck to everyone :D

@Kat792732 I'm the same way!!! I literally check my email all day!! It's pretty crazy- the program starts in June, which is only two months away and they still didn't send decisions out yet.

@OT_hopeful_999 I think my interview was a little under an hour. It took me about 25 minutes for the essay, and i think like another 25 minutes with an alumni. I came out of the interview feeling good- it's not like they asked anything crazy. I just hope it went well enough to get me in!! Downstate is my first choice! How was yours?

@Kat792732 I'm the same way!!! I literally check my email all day!! It's pretty crazy- the program starts in June, which is only two months away and they still didn't send decisions out yet.

@OT_hopeful_999 I think my interview was a little under an hour. It took me about 25 minutes for the essay, and i think like another 25 minutes with an alumni. I came out of the interview feeling good- it's not like they asked anything crazy. I just hope it went well enough to get me in!! Downstate is my first choice! How was yours?

Do you live in New York? I'm from California so not hearing back and the program starting in June is freaking me out even more. I feel like thats a bad sign :( I took the same amount of time on the essay, I think my interview was longer but it was over the phone and we were interrupted twice by students looking for their interviewer lol

Mine took a almost two hours 30mins for the essay and the rest for the interview.. Idk why she asked me a lot of questions so im kinda nervous if its a good or bad thing.. What sort of questions did they ask? Was it from an alumuni or faculty member?

@Marshmallow09 Yep I live in NY! Who were you interviewed by? Did you apply to a lot of other programs?

@OT_hopeful_999 That's a LONG interview! What questions did you get? What other programs did you apply to? My interview was with an alumni. From what I can remember they asked why OT, what leadership roles have I ever shown, how will I manage the heavy workload, what experiences stand out from my volunteer experience, describe myself a bit, my opinion of OT in the mental health field, why specifically Downstate. I also asked the interviewer some questions I had. I did stumble a bit on like two questions but I'm sure that won't make or break if I get in or not. I can't remember any other questions they asked me- does anyone else remember the questions they got?

@Marshmallow09 Yep I live in NY! Who were you interviewed by? Did you apply to a lot of other programs?

@OT_hopeful_999 That's a LONG interview! What questions did you get? What other programs did you apply to? My interview was with an alumni. From what I can remember they asked why OT, what leadership roles have I ever shown, how will I manage the heavy workload, what experiences stand out from my volunteer experience, describe myself a bit, my opinion of OT in the mental health field, why specifically Downstate. I also asked the interviewer some questions I had. I did stumble a bit on like two questions but I'm sure that won't make or break if I get in or not. I can't remember any other questions they asked me- does anyone else remember the questions they got?

My questions are about the same as urs.. Yeah, it is a long time considering it's only suppose to be an hour. One of the faculty interviewed me.. I'm not sure how i did.. But I'm really hoping I made some type of impression..

Keep us updated on ur status!

My questions are about the same as urs.. Yeah, it is a long time considering it's only suppose to be an hour. One of the faculty interviewed me.. I'm not sure how i did.. But I'm really hoping I made some type of impression..

Keep us updated on ur status!

Will do! Hopefully we'll all be classmates! :)

Got a rejection letter in the mail today. Already put down a deposit at NYU so not super bummed. It was sent out on Thursday, the 27th -- just wanted to give people a reference point.... Good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Got a rejection letter in the mail today. Already put down a deposit at NYU so not super bummed. It was sent out on Thursday, the 27th -- just wanted to give people a reference point.... Good luck to those still waiting to hear!

So sorry to hear! At least you got into NYU! Did you have an interview at downstate?

Did u interview with faculty or am alumni? And how did u think ur interview went?
I interviewed with an alumni, it seemed like there were 4/5 people conducting interviews that day and each of them had interviewed like 4/5 people. I only know because I was the last slot for the day and discussed it with my interviewer. I thought it went really well, and my interviewer seemed really positive. So who knows? Haha.