summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tortuga

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have some advice on getting a summer job? I'm taking the NREMT just before the summer, and I'd like to start working as an EMT-b right away. What can I do now to start getting something set up? Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you post your location you'll probably get better, more specific information.

I don't know if you could get just a summer EMT job, due to all the on-the-job training you will likely need to learn your company's local SOP's, etc. I was just hired by my campus EMS program, and my training period is going to last at least 6 months (probably more). Perhaps you could get an ER tech job. Like plucky said, where are you/do you want to work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on your location, you could look into seasonal amusement parks like 6 Flags. Summer camps may be an option, too.

^^^ very good idea - I've gotten e-mails asking for EMTs at summer camps at college campuses, and i'm sure places like 6 flags, wild rivers, etc. would hire EMTs.

I worked as an er tech for 3 months every summer while in college. it is doable. of course this was 1987 so they only paid me $7/hr....but on the upside I got to do a lot of procedures then as an er tech that most techs probably aren't allowed to do now like iv's, iv push meds, etc....