Summer Undergrad Research Program (SURP) Help needed

Az1698

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
I heard about these SURP programs, and they all take place during the summer (duh).

I have 3 questions, can anyone answer them?

1. Are there any for freshman?
  2. What are the most prestigious/hardest to get into ones?**
  3. Do these programs offer any benefit to your resume or med school admissions?
I am thinking of doing a MD/PHD, so research is something I like. Can I continue onto a program with my own research?
**Really Want to know
Please help

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes. Though you have to look hard usually for sophomores and up.

2. Go to any of the research-intensive med schools websites (you should find some if you use their website search function)

3. Any research would look good on your resume, however, I was told don't do multiple because it shows you're not
consistent. I'd assume if you did research at the med school you're applying to it will give you a slight advantage.

Thanks for the response. Other people? and does anyone have names of specific programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump....please help me

As far as how prestigious the labs are, they're pretty much about all equal, and I think one of the harder labs to get into is the dental lab I'm in, but she's just very selective about who she takes (pre-dent only also).

Normally most professors will require you to have taken a number of the lower div bio classes or gchem/ochem, but it really depends and varies from professor to professor.

It does look good on a resume because you're awarded a "Undergraduate Research Fellowship" which looks and sound Awesome. I've done UROP twice which is the non summer version, and it's been a great way to get funding for our lab.

While I'm sure there is opportunity to do your own research, for the most part you're just working under another professor on projects that are in the field they're working on. So if you're at UCI, go to the Bio Sci Website List here:

http://www.bio.uci.edu/Bio199/positions/index.cfm

and find a professor who is doing research you are interested in.

Good luck!

I see - does anyone else have opinions, know prestigous ones?

I see - does anyone else have opinions, know prestigous ones?

Uh prestigious ones? You should probably just find ones you are interested in. Don't worry about what is "prestigious." Anything looks good. The programs are usually school specific. Look at your universities website.

Uh prestigious ones? You should probably just find ones you are interested in. Don't worry about what is "prestigious." Anything looks good. The programs are usually school specific. Look at your universities website.

Well, this is about summer, and my program doesn't have a summer thing. Are there any ivies that have these?

Well, this is about summer, and my program doesn't have a summer thing. Are there any ivies that have these?

Your school doesn't have any research opportunities in the summer? at all?

Your school doesn't have any research opportunities in the summer? at all?
It barely has any opportunities in the school year - it is not a big resaerch school. That's why I need these summer programs to make up for my lack of research, as well as add on to my resume. So, any ivies that have these?

It barely has any opportunities in the school year - it is not a big research school. That's why I need these summer programs to make up for my lack of research, as well as add on to my resume. So, any ivies that have these?
its unfortunate how people do research for the sake of adding to resume and for prestige instead of for the interest.

Last edited:
Hey
I heard about these SURP programs, and they all take place during the summer (duh).

I have 3 questions, can anyone answer them?

1. Are there any for freshman?
  2. What are the most prestigious/hardest to get into ones?**
  3. Do these programs offer any benefit to your resume or med school admissions?
I am thinking of doing a MD/PHD, so research is something I like. Can I continue onto a program with my own research?
**Really Want to know
Please help

1. I'm thinking most programs probably prefer at least sophomore standing when you apply. Some even require completion of specific classes (i.e. organic chemistry)

2. Can't help you there, but it probably correlates with US News & World rankings

3. I also have been thinking of an MD/PhD, and from lurking on the MD/PhD forum, the research that really stands out is the research that you've been doing for a while in the same lab. What looks better than getting into prestigious summer program is an AWESOME letter of recommendation from a PI you've been working with. You only get 1 summer to do work at these programs, which not enough time to do anything meaningful or know the PI very well.

Here's a pretty big list of summer programs-
http://www.aamc.org/members/great/summerlinks.htm

madamebovary said:
its unfortunate how people do research for the sake of adding to resume instead of for the interest.
:thumbup:

The only time you need research is if you are applying to MD/PhD, and you better be interested in it too :rolleyes:

There are many productive ways to "beef up" an application, research is just one of them.

Last edited:
its unfortunate how people do research for the sake of adding to resume and for prestige instead of for the interest.

hmm...well, first off, I am interested in Research - I've been involved in research throughout HS. I am not going to lie though, wouldn't you say a competitive summer research program would be a big plus for any application? And finally, I am pretty sure that, unless I convey interest, I won't get into any of these programs. So Back to where OP Started: What are competitive and hard to get into programs?

I concur. This was the point I was trying to get at.:thumbup:

As far as other schools research, why are you only considering Ivy programs. Go ahead and just look for big research schools around where you are for research. To be honest though, if you want to do research that much, try applying to a research-centered school. If your school doesn't have any, I doubt it will hurt your application since it wasn't available to you.

1. I'm thinking most programs probably prefer at least sophomore standing when you apply. Some even require completion of specific classes (i.e. organic chemistry)

2. Can't help you there, but it probably correlates with US News & World rankings

3. I also have been thinking of an MD/PhD, and from lurking on the MD/PhD forum, the research that really stands out is the research that you've been doing for a while in the same lab. What looks better than getting into prestigious summer program is an AWESOME letter of recommendation from a PI you've been working with. You only get 1 summer to do work at these programs, which not enough time to do anything meaningful or know the PI very well.

Here's a pretty big list of summer programs-
http://www.aamc.org/members/great/summerlinks.htm

Wow, thanks for the information - that is quite a list. I had a question - for the top surp programs (amgen, mayo, NYU), you are at a disadvantage if you don't go to a top college right? My school is a tier three, so what can I do to make up the difference of not going to an ivy or top 20? What do the committies look for, and what can I do to improve the playing field for myself. These programs are really hard to get into, so any advice?

if you want something really competitive and are willing to relocate which it seems u are i would apply to nih summer internship program. U will be competing with med students as well as undergrad and its nih..cant get much better than that. They accept like 20 percent or less so dont count on it and it is too late for this year so u can try next year. Plus the pay is great. Its a pretty fun experience

Wow, thanks for the information - that is quite a list. I had a question - for the top surp programs (amgen, mayo, NYU), you are at a disadvantage if you don't go to a top college right? My school is a tier three, so what can I do to make up the difference of not going to an ivy or top 20? What do the committies look for, and what can I do to improve the playing field for myself. These programs are really hard to get into, so any advice?

Anyone know the answer to this?

hmm...well, first off, I am interested in Research - I've been involved in research throughout HS. I am not going to lie though, wouldn't you say a competitive summer research program would be a big plus for any application? And finally, I am pretty sure that, unless I convey interest, I won't get into any of these programs. So Back to where OP Started: What are competitive and hard to get into programs?
Well i wont say it wont be a plus, since i have done a summer research program and will be doing another one this summer. However, it is not the Prestige of the program that helps you, it's the chance to conduct your own independent project and doing research on interesting things that your own school may not have.

you write awesome personal statments and have strong LORs. Everything else, you leave it to the comittee.

I find it funny how you guy are looking at everything as formula- how many hours should i do research, what ecs should i be doing, will this be enough for a goldwater, and etc.

Last edited:
Well i wont say it wont be a plus, since i have done a summer research program and will be doing another one this summer. However, it is not the Prestige of the program that helps you, it's the chance to conduct your own independent project and doing research on interesting things that your own school may not have.

you write awesome personal statments and have strong LORs. Everything else, you leave it to the comittee.

I find it funny how you guy are looking at everything as formula- how many hours should i do research, what ecs should i be doing, will this be enough for a goldwater, and etc.

I agree completely!!!!! geez people, the point of doing research as an undergraduate is to gain research experience, to learn what research is like, and to see if you're interested in a career in research. it's also to teach your problem solving skills. if you work in a prestigious lab, that's nice, but it's exactly the same as working in an obscure lab with a PI that nobody has heard of as long as you work just as hard and work independently.

as a matter of fact, undergraduates who work for really well-known people are rarely able to learn from those people for two reasons:

1. well-known people usually have big labs-->PI isn't as hands on in the research--->undergrads don't get as much exposure to research as they would in a smaller lab

2. The things that make a PI well-known will not be evident to most undergrads. Most undergrads will still be learning how to think creatively and think in a way that is needed for successful research. Virtually any PI at any university can teach this. The things you learn from a well-known PI are things like how to manage large lab groups, how to take basic levels of creativity and make them extraordinary, etc. Phenomenal undergrads are ready to start learning these things by the middle of their 3rd year or so, but are still developing scientifically. So, even for these phenomenal undergrads, it is much more worthwhile to develop a strong relationship with a PI who has time to devote to you, so that when you graduate and enter a PhD or MD/PhD program, you can enter a high-level program that exposes you to these incredibly successful people when you're ready to learn from them.

So instead of worrying about the prestige of a SURP, worry about learning what you need to learn. That's how this works, seriously. It's part of growing up, to learn that the world is not just a sea of awards and prestige and such. Once you graduate from college, all of that disappears, for the most part. You can have a 4.0 in college, a 40 on the MCAT, win Goldwater, be an Amgen scholars alumnus, and everything, but when you graduate, all that becomes meaningless. No one cares about your grades or your awards in the real world. If you're going into science, you have to be productive, creative, innovative, and quick on your feet.

It seems like a lot of you are very competitive and really really want to win. That doesn't have to be a bad trait if you use it well. Be competitive in the sense that you want to be as good as you can possibly be at what you plan to do. Be competitive so that, when you see that someone is more productive or more creative than you, it drives you to improve so that you can be better than them. That's the kind of competitiveness that will take you so far in your career. Worrying about stupid awards and prestige of programs will take you nowhere.

Note that I don't mean that, when you look for graduate programs, to ignore prestige. It's just that, prestige tends to follow good programs, and so really, look for the best program that will best prepare you for your career.

Can an international student (not studying in the US) apply for it? I mean, I'd really like to gain some international research experience, but I know that for all the ones in NY, you need to be a citizen, or study in the US...:(

1) Same as above. Most are geared towards students that will have completed their sophomore year.

2) These programs are all pretty competitive. If you do a program at a university that's at least on the map, you'll probably be good to go. Obviously some are more competitive than others, but I don't really think it would make that big of a difference. For med school interviews, the value of the experience is probably judged on your ability to discuss what you did, not the institution you worked at.

3) I think these programs definitely help you with the M.D./Ph.D. route. I'm currently doing a SURF program for a second summer at the same institution, and I'd be willing to bet my involvement alone would get me an interview. But, as with #2, how much it's going to help is directly correlated to your ability to discuss what you did meaningfully and come across as a competent researcher. In other words, if you work at the NIH but can't explain the fundamentals of your project, no one's going to be impressed. By the same token, if you go to a lesser known research center but clearly took something away from the experience, those you talk to will put more weight on my experience.

You sound like you want to get involved in one of these programs just to put in your resume. This attitude probably won't get the results your looking for.