Summer Schedule Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A People Person Doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking evening classes of Gen Chem 1 with lab this spring...
In looking over the summer course offerings, I noticed Chem II and Bio I are not offered.

Any suggestions on what I can take over the summer? Is it possible to take Bio II before taking Chem II & Bio I? I would like to continue with some type of courses over the summer. Also, should non-traditionals work on taking as close to 12 credits (full-time) per semester?

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt you would be able to register for bio 2 before taking bio 1. If you are able to register, I would not do it as bio 2 builds on a lot of the molecular and cellular concepts of bio 1.

If you cannot take gen chem, I would look at taking physics, psychology, sociology, statistics, or calc which will all be useful for the MCAT and/or are recommended by some medical schools

Rule of thumb for credits is do not take more classes than you can reasonably do well in. If you are working full-time an appropriate load can be two classes or three. If you are only taking classes and not working then you should take a full load.

Reactions: 1 users
All of the courses in a postbac are extremely time consuming, and some individual courses can go to 40 hours per week if you have a "we've got ourselves a badass here" professor. My Gen Chem I was this way, and I wound up switching o-chem sections because the professor at my first o-chem section really liked shouting.

I took 3 courses last semester while working close to full time, but I have total control over my schedule at work and rarely have to go into the office. Moreover I'm taking the courses at a less-demanding university, ate almost all my meals out, didn't go out socially, and did very little besides work and school.

I would emphasize to get clinical experience before devoting a lot of time, energy, and money to a postbac. Its probably not what you're expecting.

Berkeley's Extension is probably the best postbac option in the country, as its highly regarded, cheap, and typically doesn't have aggressive grade deflation. You'll jaunt around to different campuses but its worth it.

I don't know what your particular situation is - how much you like your job, how much you need to work, how much money you are making, your social situation and needs, your cGPA and sGPA, etc - so I can't really offer specific advice, but keep in mind that anything less than a 3.7 in your postbac (involving the most challenging courses offered at universities) is going to be an issue for MD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with GreenDuck12 Miami_Postbac. Based on the admissions from this cycle, it seems like non-traditional students (especially those recovering from a subpar GPA) need to do everything in their power to protect their post bac GPA. If you are still working full time but would like an additional course, I would add a math course.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm really surprised that in a big city like SF you don't have some school offering bio1 in the summer?

It's not uncommon. I'm in Wisconsin at a state school and they don't offer Bio I in the summer, just Chem I which is coincidentally what I'll be taking.

Last edited:
It's not uncommon. I'm in Wisconsin at a state school and they don't offer Bio I in the summer, just Chem I which is coincidentally what I'll be taking.

I'm sure between UCBx, SFSU, CSUF, SJSU, Sonoma State, GGU, or any of the other campuses within an hour of SF they could find someplace that offered it in the summer.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I plan on applying to UCBerkeley's Extension this year so that I can gain access to the committee letter...this is why I would like to take all my classes through them. Also, I checked with them and it looks like Bio 1 will be offered this summer!

A little background about myself:

Urm, Graduated in 2014 with B.S. in Public Health (cum. GPA 3.56)
- I previously took Chem 1 (2x), Chem 2 (2x), and Anatomy (2x) but received Cs (illness, death in family) - I plan on retaking all of this coursework and upper level science courses
Works full-time (9-5) at nonprofit with homeless veterans in behavioral health/social work
Volunteers at SF General & UCSF Children's Hospital (~60 hours so far, plan on continuing this volunteer work for 2 years while I complete my post-bac)
- Throughout college, I also actively volunteered - started student health org on campus, AmeriCorps, Big Brothers Big Sisters, tutored at-risk youth, worked with low-income families in social services, etc. and worked 2-3 jobs each semester
Working on setting up shadowing opportunities with doctors at my volunteer sites and through acquaintances

Is there anything else I should be working on while completing my DIY post-bac? I'd like to do more non-clinical volunteering with youth but I don't know if I have enough hours in the day lol

Are you aiming for MD or DO?

Berkley's Extension has open enrollment, no? Of course I would also apply for their formal program committee letter, but I think you can just register.

Are you aiming for MD or DO?

Berkley's Extension has open enrollment, no? Of course I would also apply for their formal program committee letter, but I think you can just register.
Plan on applying to both...with my GPA/academic history, I realize I may have better chance with DO schools

And yes, Berkeley Extension has open enrollement

You aren't in bad shape...I assume you are planning to apply 2017 for admission in 2018?

I would focus on excelling (As)in the science courses, especially the retakes.

Perhaps one of the more experienced members can chime in, but a batch of C's are a huge problem for MD, particularly for retakes. DO is more forgiving.

So I just went back and reread all of your post in this thread...hopefully, @Goro will pop in soon but...

SDN lore would suggest that if you can retake your 'C' prerequisite coursework and get 'As,' pull 'As' in the upper level sciences courses, do decently on the MCAT, and apply broadly and strategically, you will mostly likely get into MD somewhere and will have an even better shot at DO; your cumulative GPA isn't bad (although you don't mention BCMP) and your ECs seem pretty good...

You mention that you are working full time AND volunteering... I think you need to make sure to focus on getting As in your coursework, especially your retakes. In another thread, Germanicus89 said, "Research is icing on the cake. You need the cake first." While it wasn't particularly novel, I think it was most apt. In applying for medical school it seems like MCAT/GPA is cake an everything else (ECs, LORs, research) is icing. While bad icing will certainly diminish a fine cake, no one eats icing alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Agree 1000%!

So I just went back and reread all of your post in this thread...hopefully, @Goro will pop in soon but...

SDN lore would suggest that if you can retake your 'C' prerequisite coursework and get 'As,' pull 'As' in the upper level sciences courses, do decently on the MCAT, and apply broadly and strategically, you will mostly likely get into MD somewhere and will have an even better shot at DO; your cumulative GPA isn't bad (although you don't mention BCMP) and your ECs seem pretty good...

You mention that you are working full time AND volunteering... I think you need to make sure to focus on getting As in your coursework, especially your retakes. In another thread, Germanicus89 said, "Research is icing on the cake. You need the cake first." While it wasn't particularly novel, I think it was most apt. In applying for medical school it seems like MCAT/GPA is cake an everything else (ECs, LORs, research) is icing. While bad icing will certainly diminish a fine cake, no one eats icing alone.

Definitely understand! Getting As in my classes will be my #1 priority! Thanks for the advice!