Summer research not working out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s5260205

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a retrospective cohort study over this past summer after first year. Unfortunately, the data is not very good due to poor documentation in the EHR.

Aside from going through the process of study design, IRB approval, data abstraction and analysis, is this summer research experience a complete bust? Could I list this experience in any way on my CV, even though it led to no publication?

Members don't see this ad.

Sadly, that's one of the shortfalls of a retrospective study. Documentation can be variable and data can suffer from a lack of systematic processes.

My latest experience was unfortunately similar. Of course you can list it on your CV. Though it's not as glamorous as fleshing out a publications/presentations section, I also have a "research experience" section on my CV where I list labs and the projects I worked on. So, even though the whole project was a bust, I still find it's an experience I would be happy to discuss (hint: if it's not something you want to discuss, you probably shouldn't list it).

I list the lab, PI name and title, my role, and the IRB title of the projects. For example:

X University X Lab
Principal Investigator: Dr. X, professor of X
my title/role here
co-PI: "Imaging of X in the setting of Y disease"
co-PI: "The effects of X medication on Y disease"

Reactions: 1 user
Did a retrospective cohort study over this past summer after first year. Unfortunately, the data is not very good due to poor documentation in the EHR.

Aside from going through the process of study design, IRB approval, data abstraction and analysis, is this summer research experience a complete bust? Could I list this experience in any way on my CV, even though it led to no publication?

Could you find a conference to submit it to? Typically conference abstracts aren't peer-reviewed (well, some are but not commonly) and you could at least present what you've worked on in poster form. Additionally, you can always write "Research Experience" in your ERAS applications that don't lead to publications or work products.

Thank you guys! It's good to hear that research experience can still be listed, despite it led to no results.

Could you find a conference to submit it to? Typically conference abstracts aren't peer-reviewed (well, some are but not commonly) and you could at least present what you've worked on in poster form. Additionally, you can always write "Research Experience" in your ERAS applications that don't lead to publications or work products.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will look into conferences nearby and see if I can submit an abstract despite no results.