Summer Research Grants for Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabujabu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are summer grants for medical student research (after M1 year) in any of the following areas:

1) Cardiovascular Medicine
2) Pharmacology
3) Biomedical Informatics
4) General Medical Student Summer Research Grants

So far, I've only found one summer grant from the American Heart Association. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Take a look at the summer research listing link in the FAQ. I believe there's something in NY. The AMA also supports summer grants for CV research.

Hello.I'm a french medical student and I will have the equivalent of a Medical Degree at the end of the year (June 2008).I would like to have a (bio)medical research experience in the USA this summer to benefit my future medical carrer.So I was wondering if anyone knows if there are summer medical grants opened to students/doctors who study out of the USA???
Thanks a lot for your answer:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello.I'm a french medical student and I will have the equivalent of a Medical Degree at the end of the year (June 2008).I would like to have a (bio)medical research experience in the USA this summer to benefit my future medical carrer.So I was wondering if anyone knows if there are summer medical grants opened to students/doctors who study out of the USA???
Thanks a lot for your answer:)
A lot of our programs are funded by federal dollars, and so they probably will have some stipulation that you must be a US citizen to apply. However, you can probably email US docs individually and set up something on your own. It won't have the glamour or the structure of a formal program, but it is one way to get US research experience. Most of the visiting researchers I've met used this method.

Send them a quick 2 or 3 line email* and attach a resume. You'll have to email a lot of folks - some won't respond, some won't be interested, and some won't have the $$$ to support you, but with enough trying, someone is bound to be interested.

Also talk to your school administration and government. They have to have some student grants for people who want to study abroad. At least *we* do.

*Something like:

Dear Dr. X,

I am a medical student at (insert your medical school's name) and I am intested in gaining research experience in the US during (insert the summer you're available). I emailed you because I think (insert research field of interest here) is facinating, and I wanted to know if you have any positions available. My resume is attached.

Thank you,

(your name here)

You also want to tailor the email to the doc's interests - don't tell a cancer researcher that you love their work in orthopedics! :laugh:

Ok.Thanks a lot for your answer,RxnMan!
I'll follow your advice and send a lot of e-mails,maybe I will find some opportunities!