Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spitphire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea to get this thread started for the year. Last year I only apply to one program so I thought it would be a good idea to start sooner this time around! So far my list is:
Boston university of medicine (STaRS)
Johns Hopkins (SIP)
Mass gen. (SRTP)
Mayo
Medical university of South Carolina (SURP)
Ohio State (SUCCESS)
University of Massachusetts (SURP)
University of Virginia (SRIP)
UTSW (SURF)
Vanderbilt (leadership alliance)
(10 total)

I also wanted to apply through the leadership alliance program, but I'm a little confused on how it works. Do you have to apply to all the programs? With that said, good luck to everyone applying this year! I hope we all get accepted somewhere! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any transfer students get accepted to these? Was thinking about applying to a few but my college career isn't exactly traditional...

Any transfer students get accepted to these? Was thinking about applying to a few but my college career isn't exactly traditional...

Transfer students do get accepted into these programs. I'm not a transfer student, but I know of a few who have done summer REUs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome. I assume there is an interview process, do they do rolling admissions as well? I was going to wait until I get my GPA in for this semester to apply.

Gonna be applying

Awesome. I assume there is an interview process, do they do rolling admissions as well? I was going to wait until I get my GPA in for this semester to apply.

Most programs that i know of do not have an interview process, that's why the personal statement portion of your application is so important. It is generally assumed that programs do not have rolling admission unless they explicitly state that they do. However, you really should try to apply as early as possible. It can't hurt.

Hey everyone! I've never applied to any summer research programs and I was wondering if anyone has any tips/suggestions. What did they look most at? I have no prior research experience so would I have a shot without that? Thanks!

I also wanted to apply through the leadership alliance program, but I'm a little confused on how it works. Do you have to apply to all the programs? With that said, good luck to everyone applying this year! I hope we all get accepted somewhere! :D

From what I remember, you fill out the Leadership Alliance application and can only select 3 programs on their list to apply to. The programs will individually contact you either via email or through the online portal with their decisions some time between February-April.

I've participated in two summer programs in the past and had some awesome experiences! Anyone on this thread can feel free to message me if you have any specific questions about certain programs, applying, etc. I would highly recommend applying to as many as you can--applications are free unlike med school apps ;)

Did an REU at the university of Nebraska last summer and LOVED it. 4 grand for 10 weeks of "40 hrs/week"

Good luck guys

I'm a sophomore at a LAC with a 3.77 GPA and ~2-3 months of lab experience with a pending publication. I haven't many upper-level science courses (I am going to take them this year, during/after the application due dates). Should I be shooting for lower tier programs because I don't have a lot of coursework behind me/what programs would be a good fit for me? If it helps, I'm aiming to do an MD/PhD. Thanks guys! (Also, I'm not a URM, I'm an Asian-American female.)

I'm applying to all the research programs in Texas; I'm not familiar with the northeast ones as mentioned above. I have no prior research experience and my GPA is between 3.0 and 3.5, so honestly I'm not sure if I can get in at all this summer. I'd appreciate any inside information on these programs.

I'm a sophomore at a LAC with a 3.77 GPA and ~2-3 months of lab experience with a pending publication. I haven't many upper-level science courses (I am going to take them this year, during/after the application due dates). Should I be shooting for lower tier programs because I don't have a lot of coursework behind me/what programs would be a good fit for me? If it helps, I'm aiming to do an MD/PhD. Thanks guys! (Also, I'm not a URM, I'm an Asian-American female.)

By all means you should apply, to a wide range of programs. Tiers don't really exist for summer programs IMO since they're all so competitive with equally low acceptance rates. It's very impressive to already have a pending publication after only a couple months of research. It will definitely distinguish you from 99% of the other applicants. Don't worry about the coursework--it's not a big deal especially since you're still only a sophomore. Also, some programs let you include your current coursework in their applications.

For those applying to the Baylor SMART program:

The application states there's a 500 character limit on the responses (the personal statement and the previous research experiences). I'm concerned because 500 characters seems very sparse (roughly 100 words), and I don't want to unknowingly sabotage my application by writing too little. I've contacted the program, however they have yet to respond.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are so many research internships out there that are competitive but how do medical schools decide which one is better (or how do we even decide which one is better)?

Question to those that are already in a lab at their home institution:

Why? What reasons compel you to do research at another institution? Just curious for my own situation, a little ambivalent about applying.

Why? What reasons compel you to do research at another institution? Just curious for my own situation, a little ambivalent about applying.

Bigger labs, better resources, different research topics, etc. This especially applies if you go to a small liberal arts college or college that does not have large research programs

Last edited:
What's up with the thread this year? This time last year we were ~80 posts strong. Are there not as many people applying for REUs this time around?

Keep on keeping on, undergrads of SDN!

Agree w/ @bwblue

Additionally, programs usually organize talks, networking events, grad/med school info sessions and Q&A's, and other opportunities that allow you to expand your connections with the institution. Obviously, acceptance to their grad/med program is by no means guaranteed, but participating in their summer program does provide a good talking point during interviews and your name is already on file. You also get a decent stipend and make lots of friends from all over the country!

For those applying to the Baylor SMART program:

The application states there's a 500 character limit on the responses (the personal statement and the previous research experiences). I'm concerned because 500 characters seems very sparse (roughly 100 words), and I don't want to unknowingly sabotage my application by writing too little. I've contacted the program, however they have yet to respond.

For those interested, I just received a reply from the program! It's 500 words like I suspected

Bigger labs, better resources, different research topics, etc. This especially applies if you go to a small liberal arts college or college that does not have large research programs
Yup, definitely had this in mind when I wrote my personal statements. Are LAC applicants given even the slightest preference over those who come from larger research-oriented schools?

Yup, definitely had this in mind when I wrote my personal statements. Are LAC applicants given even the slightest preference over those who come from larger research-oriented schools?
I want to say yes (but obviously this doesn't apply to all programs). I know the REU I participated in last summer favored applicants from LACs.

If all else is equal (which is never), I would say yes as well. However, I am inclined to say that belonging to a group that is underrepresented in the sciences is a more significant non-academic factor.

Also look at a bunch of other state schools, people. Far less apply, but most pay you nonetheless.

Are there any programs that are accepting of people NOT going for a MD/PhD? Because most of them seem very focused on that. Also- you really can't take classes with these can you? The money sounds sooo good and so does the opportunity but I really wanted to take classes this summer :/

Are there any programs that are accepting of people NOT going for a MD/PhD? Because most of them seem very focused on that. Also- you really can't take classes with these can you? The money sounds sooo good and so does the opportunity but I really wanted to take classes this summer :/
I would not take a class with these programs. Most require you not to have other commitments. Although during my summer program there were people studying for the MCAT/GRE.

There are plenty of research programs aimed at those who are just interested in grad school or just interested in medical school! And I second not taking a class. In fact, most programs tell you explicitly not to take a class at the same time

Here's a pretty good list of programs: http://www.fredhutch.org/content/dam/public/education/internships.pdf

Hi! I am not a doctor or a health professional and I never will be, but I'm applying to some of the same programs as you all are, except for a humanities subject. I couldn't find a humanities-specific discussion on this anywhere else.

I'm applying to several of the SROP schools, UC Berkeley, Leadership Alliance, and UNC MURAP. I'm a sophomore. Anyone know how good the chances are for people applying in humanities subjects?

Hi! I am not a doctor or a health professional and I never will be, but I'm applying to some of the same programs as you all are, except for a humanities subject. I couldn't find a humanities-specific discussion on this anywhere else.

I'm applying to several of the SROP schools, UC Berkeley, Leadership Alliance, and UNC MURAP. I'm a sophomore. Anyone know how good the chances are for people applying in humanities subjects?

As a disclaimer, this is based solely off of what I noticed at the Leadership Alliance Symposium: It appeared that there were fewer humanities students there relative to the natural/social/biomedical science people. If humanities programs get the same number of applicants as the other programs, one could assume it is a bit more competitive (at least for LA). Again, I'm really not sure.

Hello :)

I was just wondering, how much research experience do you need to have to get accepted to one of these programs? I've done 1 year of research so far and worked on 2 projects and did a bunch of oral and poster presentations. Is this enough?

I also have a high GPA. Do these programs look at your ECs too? I think the Amgen ones say that they don't want your resume, but others don't really specify. Should I attach my resume?

Thanks so much for your time.

I was just wondering, how much research experience do you need to have to get accepted to one of these programs? I've done 1 year of research so far and worked on 2 projects and did a bunch of oral and poster presentations. Is this enough?

I also have a high GPA. Do these programs look at your ECs too? I think the Amgen ones say that they don't want your resume, but others don't really specify. Should I attach my resume?

You don't need research experience to get in, but it is STRONGLY recommended. I got into a program with an acceptance rate <5% last year as a freshman, non-URM, and zero research experience. Just good letters, early app, strong essays

With a high GPA, your research experience can only help (especially with Amgens)

I think that you should be fine. I had about the same amount of experience as you did when I applied last year and got accepted into two programs (and waitlisted at several others). Just make sure that you apply broadly--most of these programs are super competitive. But your GPA and research experience will definitely help you (I think some programs do consider ECs, but there's not heavy emphasis).

I'm currently a freshman with a 3.2 GPA (D in Gen Chem 1), but I am taking Intro to Chem now and so far I am managing my time and everything is going pretty well. I've been volunteering in a neuroscience lab since October 2014 and was wondering if I should even bother applying to some of these programs because of my GPA...

Opinions?
I'd bump that up over the next year. Your app would be later in the cycle if you applied now and your GPA is low for many of the programs.
Build relationships with your professors / PI so you can have solid letters of rec when you apply next year!

Best of luck

I'd bump that up over the next year. Your app would be later in the cycle if you applied now and your GPA is low for many of the programs.
Build relationships with your professors / PI so you can have solid letters of rec when you apply next year!

Best of luck

Agreed. If you get more research experience and bring up your grades, that will be seen as a positive. Plus, most programs target sophomores and juniors--which only makes it that much more difficult.

So im in the process for applying for these and Im tempted to say that Im planning MD/PHD (its always something that I have been interested in but do not plan on applying for such when I apply to med schools this summer) just simply that saying your MD only seems like an autoreject from alot of programs like those associated with Amgen. Thoughts?

For the Johns Hopkins SIP, it says that "The Summer Internship Program (SIP) provides experience in research laboratories to students of diverse backgrounds, including underrepresented minority students, students from economically disadvantaged and underserved backgrounds and students with disabilities that have completed one - two or more years of college." It says this on the main webpage. So is this a diversity program that only accepts diversity applicants?

Is there anyone applying to AMGEN this summer?

I'm applying to UCB and UCSF. Love MIT but heard that it is so competitive.

Yep! Columbia, MIT, and Wash U.
Good luck to you!
Good luck to you, too. Do you have any research experience before? I had good GPA but no research experience. I think that is a big disadvantage.

Good luck to you, too. Do you have any research experience before? I had good GPA but no research experience. I think that is a big disadvantage.

About 500 hours (400 from a summer program)
It can be a pretty significant disadvantage for certain programs, but who truly knows...

Should I have submitted these a lot earlier? I'll probably have most of mine completely in by Jan 20--does this significantly reduce my chances? Does anyone know if SROP and Leadership Alliance have rolling admissions?

I'm not pre-medical, but I've found the SDN summer program threads to be the most comprehensive, so I decided to make an account.

Should I have submitted these a lot earlier? I'll probably have most of mine completely in by Jan 20--does this significantly reduce my chances? Does anyone know if SROP and Leadership Alliance have rolling admissions?

You're fine. I applied to programs relatively early last year, and I really don't think it's as advantageous as one of the users stated above.

Last edited:

I'm also applying to UCB and UCSF, as well as UCLA, and have no previous research experience but have a decent GPA, so we're in the same boat. Good luck to us both!

On another note, from what you guys are saying these programs like students with MD/PhD goals. What if I just want a PhD, but in a research field (pharmacology)? Will that hurt my chances?

I'm also applying to UCB and UCSF, as well as UCLA, and have no previous research experience but have a decent GPA, so we're in the same boat. Good luck to us both!

On another note, from what you guys are saying these programs like students with MD/PhD goals. What if I just want a PhD, but in a research field (pharmacology)? Will that hurt my chances?

Absolutely not! These programs are mostly aimed at getting students interested in graduate school. Unless the program is explicitly targeted for MD/PhDs, you're golden.

Oh, good luck. AMGEN is for students who want to pursue phd or md/phd. I want a phd in Chemistry :D.I will be working in a research group at my university in this spring. Amgen's website says that research experience is not a requirement. Harvard says that too, but I think that research experience is preferred.

I always wondered how important GPA was in the selection of these students. I unsuccessfully applied for Vanderbilt's Summer Science Academy for 3 years! But other programs, like Maine's, I got into on the first try.

My GPA was pretty much the same at the end of every year of college, around a 3.65, so not awesome, but not horrible. I never really was able to figure out what they hold most important.

Hey guys! So I got in to HHMI EXROP this year, but I have to accept the program by the end of January, and that means I don't get to know what other programs I got into or not. My matches are either labs at either Harvard Medical School or Stanford Medical School (with a Nobel Prize Winner PI).

I applied to DAAD in Germany, Janelia, Caltech SURF, and Amgen Japan and I know Amgen is a big deal, but should I just accept the HHMI EXROP? I don't want to refuse them and not get in the other programs... Also I know Amgen depends on the school you apply to, but I am international, so the only program I could apply to was in Japan.

I have a 3.9 in terms of GPA, 4 summer research internships (but no publications) and my school is a top 5 liberal arts so that might help. My 2 recommendations are pretty strong. Any comments that could help? I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thanks!!!!! :D

For the essays, do you have to include a title?

Also, when it says 1-2 pages, does that mean double spaced or single spaced?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

If it is a personal statement or a rationale of why you want to go there, then there is no need for a title unless you want to. Most essays are single spaced.

Hey guys! So I got in to HHMI EXROP this year, but I have to accept the program by the end of January, and that means I don't get to know what other programs I got into or not. My matches are either labs at either Harvard Medical School or Stanford Medical School (with a Nobel Prize Winner PI).

I applied to DAAD in Germany, Janelia, Caltech SURF, and Amgen Japan and I know Amgen is a big deal, but should I just accept the HHMI EXROP? I don't want to refuse them and not get in the other programs... Also I know Amgen depends on the school you apply to, but I am international, so the only program I could apply to was in Japan.

I have a 3.9 in terms of GPA, 4 summer research internships (but no publications) and my school is a top 5 liberal arts so that might help. My 2 recommendations are pretty strong. Any comments that could help? I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thanks!!!!! :D

No question about it, HHMI is very prestigious. Take the EXROP offer.