Summer: Research and Clinical Experience and/or MCAT?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroAF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I'm trying to decide what will be the best use of my summer. I am a rising college senior and planning on taking one gap year before entering medical school. Because my gpa is not where I would like it to be, I'm really concerned about becoming the most competitive applicant I possibly can be.

I have been working in a biomedical genetics lab for almost one year now, it's an unpaid position but I'm actually part of the 'research team', I have my own project that my P.I. is guiding but besides the advice from them and two post-docs it's entirely up to me to advance the project. I absolutely would like to continue working in the lab but I'm really lacking clinical experience. I have been offered a position as a scribe at a hospital near my University (in New York, hometown in Texas), but this position requires at least 4 shifts a week for one year or 2 shifts a week for two years (shifts are 8-10 hrs a week). During the summer I should be able to balance working 4 scribe shifts, working at the lab, and studying for the MCAT, but I think realistically I won't be able to keep this up during the school year. Parents said either give up scribe position or research position; I don't want to give up my research but giving up the scribe job would mean spending summer in hometown where there are virtually no clinical opportunities (so my summer would just be spent studying for MCAT and working an unrelated job).

I listed more info about me below, I'd appreciate any input! :happy:

Major: Neuroscience
Minor: Clinical Psychology
cGPA: 3.42
MCAT: will take this August

Research for 1 year: very invested in lab and personal project, presented one poster, mentored high school student, ~15 hours per week during school year

Technical assistant in Department of Microbiology and Immunology at hospital for 6 months

Intern for Research Foundation Executive Director for one summer

Volunteer for two summers at hospital in PACU, Med-Surg. Unit

Extensive leadership experience: President of Rotaract club (community service group- so I've also done a TON of volunteering in community), also founder and President of new campus club 'Health Education and Advocacy Leaders' a community service group that will volunteer primarily at health clinics and run a booth at soup kitchens with resources for low income community members

Shadowing: handful of hours (bad, I know)

Freshman year:
Biology I: A
Chemistry I: B
Intro. Film: A
Animal Minds (a brain and cognitive science course): A-
Neural Foundations of Behavior: A
Biology II: B
Biology Lab: A
Chemistry II: B
Writing: A

Sophomore year:
Genetics: B-
Organic Chemistry I: C
Organic Chemistry Lab: A
Calculus I: B+
Neurobiology: B
Neurobiology Lab: B
Biochemistry: B-
Organic Chemistry II: B
Calculus II: B-
Intro. Psychology: A

Junior year:
Intro. to Video Art: A
Physics I: A-
Neuropsychology: A
Psychology of Gender: A
Applied Statistics: A
Sensory and Motor Neuroscience: current
Developmental Neurobiology: current
Physics II: current
Abnormal Psychology: current
Visual Arts in Healthcare: current
Independent study research: current

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN!

I'm trying to decide what will be the best use of my summer. I am a rising college senior and planning on taking one gap year before entering medical school. Because my gpa is not where I would like it to be, I'm really concerned about becoming the most competitive applicant I possibly can be.

I have been working in a biomedical genetics lab for almost one year now, it's an unpaid position but I'm actually part of the 'research team', I have my own project that my P.I. is guiding but besides the advice from them and two post-docs it's entirely up to me to advance the project. I absolutely would like to continue working in the lab but I'm really lacking clinical experience. I have been offered a position as a scribe at a hospital near my University (in New York, hometown in Texas), but this position requires at least 4 shifts a week for one year or 2 shifts a week for two years (shifts are 8-10 hrs a week). During the summer I should be able to balance working 4 scribe shifts, working at the lab, and studying for the MCAT, but I think realistically I won't be able to keep this up during the school year. Parents said either give up scribe position or research position; I don't want to give up my research but giving up the scribe job would mean spending summer in hometown where there are virtually no clinical opportunities (so my summer would just be spent studying for MCAT and working an unrelated job).

Research for 1 year: very invested in lab and personal project, presented one poster, mentored high school student, ~15 hours per week during school year

Technical assistant in Department of Microbiology and Immunology at hospital for 6 months

Extensive leadership experience: President of Rotaract club (community service group- so I've also done a TON of volunteering in community), also founder and President of new campus club 'Health Education and Advocacy Leaders' a community service group that will volunteer primarily at health clinics and run a booth at soup kitchens with resources for low income community members

Freshman year:

Sophomore year:

Junior year:
I think I know who you are

Hello SDN!

Freshman year:

Sophomore year:

Junior year:

I think I know who you are

lol

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, you should just study for the MCAT and do nothing else (except sleep/eat).

Your GPA is low and the MCAT is your best/only chance to make up for it.

My opinion in blue. :)
Hello SDN!

If I were you, I would give up scribe and continue research +MCAT studying. My friend that just started scribing looks like have pretty crappy hours... 4shifts a week 8-10hrs/wk is a pretty big commitment.

Your GPA is not terrible terrible terrible, but as above said, MCAT should be able to save this.

I think researching continuously will show commitment. But at the same time you need to find more shadowing and volunteering that can save your clinical expereince.

Volunteer for two summers at hospital in PACU, Med-Surg. Unit (when you said you lack clinical experience, this can be counted. (of course depending on what you do)

Extensive leadership experience: President of Rotaract club (community service group- so I've also done a TON of volunteering in community), also founder and President of new campus club 'Health Education and Advocacy Leaders' a community service group that will volunteer primarily at health clinics and run a booth at soup kitchens with resources for low income community members nice

Shadowing: handful of hours (bad, I know) improve this!

Freshman year:

Sophomore year:

Junior year:
Are you planning on taking any classes in Senior yr to save/improve your GPA?

IMO, you should just study for the MCAT and do nothing else (except sleep/eat).

Your GPA is low and the MCAT is your best/only chance to make up for it.
I second this OP. To be frank your gpa is not good at all to be competitive at top places where they focus and value research. More research at this point would not help you for state school which would be your realistic target. I would focus solely on MCAT and getting 90+ percentile. That's about the only thing that can help you significantly imho. Along with getting good grades so your gpa reaches at least 3.6 range by the time you apply.

Trust me, although your determination is admirable you cannot balance MCAT studying with scribe shifts AND research also. I tried balancing MCAT studying and research and it was hard. I ended moving the test to winter break. You should aim for at least 4-6 weeks of DEDICATED time ONLY for MCAT studying to get great score.

Last edited:
My opinion in blue. :)

Are you planning on taking any classes in Senior yr to save/improve your GPA?

I laughed at your use of the word "save". Yes I am. Senior year fall semester I'll be in five four-credit courses (three of which are biology courses) and two two-credit courses (one of which is a biology course). All of these courses are relatively easy so I'm confident that I will be able to get an A is all of them. Senior year spring I'll be in two difficult courses (human anatomy, upper neuroscience lab) and four that I can get an A in. I really want to improve my GPA, I know it's not where it needs to be, but I'm worried about that coming at the expense of other necessary experiences.

I laughed at your use of the word "save". Yes I am. Senior year fall semester I'll be in five four-credit courses (three of which are biology courses) and two two-credit courses (one of which is a biology course). All of these courses are relatively easy so I'm confident that I will be able to get an A is all of them. Senior year spring I'll be in two difficult courses (human anatomy, upper neuroscience lab) and four that I can get an A in. I really want to improve my GPA, I know it's not where it needs to be, but I'm worried about that coming at the expense of other necessary experiences.
Sorry if this translated into the wrong meaning! I'm glad your senior year will be easier! :) I think in your app, if you talk about your experience in research and get more shadowing hours, you should be on track :)

From my past summer experience... Trying to stay committed in a lab as a volunteer, and study for the MCAT was difficult to say the least. I didn't score as high as I wanted to and had to retake. That summer though, I did self-study. I think I would have done better if I had a prep course for the first attempt, but hey.

If research isn't something you're completely passionate about, I'd politely meet with your PI and explain how you think you should take a break from the lab to focus on MCAT until the test is over. You want to rock it your first time. I suggest minor clinical volunteering at most, while studying for the MCAT.

Research labs take up too much of my neuronal energy. And you need alllll that energy for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user